Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
So many good things happening for you, Daisy--first the date and now a brand new sewing machine. I have a Pfaff, too. It's a hand-me-down from my mom, who recently got a new Pfaff. Considering she's been sewing on this machine for nearly twenty years and it still runs like a charm with periodic tune-ups, I'm very impressed with the brand so far. She also has a Pfaff serger, which I miss now that I'm sewing on my own.

Those patterns look beautiful--I can't wait to see what you make up from them. If, like me, you like to stock up on patterns, Joann Fabrics is having a $1.99 Butterick pattern sale this weekend.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Daisy, sewing takes time to learn but you have to start somewhere! My tips:

Check everything, every step of the way.

Check, check and check again. (especially before you cut out!)

Press as you go. I find it helps to press the pattern with a dry iron before laying it out to cut too.

Practise loads on scraps for different stitches. Always try a straight stitch on a scrap of what you are going to be sewing as you may need to adjust tension etc before you start. Different weights of materials change how the machine stitches.

Try to start with an easier pattern. If you start with something hard then it is more to go wrong and you might feel dispirited! I know how you want to make all those lovely patterns straight away. :)

Be prepared to shut yourself away so you can get the darned thing finished! ;)

I bought a simple Brother machine. I was influenced to get that because the first machine I had was my Mum's old Brother and it was so easy to use. They haven't changed.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Congrats Daisy on your new machine!! You will have so much fun with it. I have an old Brother sewing machine I bought about 6 years ago on clearance. Sewing is addicting, pattern hunting is just as addicting! When you are done with your dress, you must post a picture of it!! I am excited because I should be receiving a dress form in the mail I bought from Joanns.com. I have wanted one for soooo long!

Amelie

A-List Customer
since you didn't commented on what I said earlier on this topic, I am taking the right to assume that you simply skipped my question. I really hope that your silence wasn't because you felt unconfortable to answer my question:eusa_doh:, but here it is again (but feel ok to tell me you would prefer not to say it):

How much have you paid for this little treasure?

Like I said, this model really interests me, but they don't want to tell me the price on the phone, and the store is quite far from my house, so I don't want to move there to only find out this machine is way out of my budget[huh]

(hope I am not sounding arrogant or anything :x)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you all so much for all of your great advice:)

Amelie, I'm so sorry that I didn't answer your question earlier. I must have somehow missed it! I hope you don't think I was purposely ignoring you, I wouldn't do that.

I paid $599.00 for it. In comparison to other Pfaffe machines this is a lower price. I have read quite a few reviews on it, and they all say it's a great deal for a machine with so many things on it. They also said it was very user friendly, which I need being a first time sewer. I did some searching at other stores after I bought it to make sure that I got a fair price, and that seems to be what they go for everywhere. They don't sell this brand on-line. I think it has to do with it's extensive warranty and all the other perks that come along with buying one. I haven't used it yet. I'm still buried in the 2 books that came with it, and to be honest, I'm a bit scared of it!:eek: It comes with a lot of gadgets that I know will be useful someday, but can be rather intimidating to a first time sewer.

If you have any questions about it, I'll be more than happy to answer them for you, to the best of my ability:)

Daisy Buchanan

I'm horrible!!! I really haven't been using it.
However, I did speak with a woman today that I met at a vintage shoppe. She was borrowing vintage clothes so she could make patterns. She is in the process of starting a business here where she will make custom designed vintage clothes at a reasonable price. She also gives sewing lessons. She has been a seamstress since she was a teen. It's $150 for 8 three hour lessons. Right now this is a new thing for her so she has no clients, so essentially it would be private lessons, their might be one other person in the class. I'm hopefully gonna start in a few weeks.

She's very interested in the vintage clothing scene. She asked me if I wanted to help her pick out clothes to copy as well as create a few vintage inspired pieces. I also might do some fashion shows for her and a group she is involved in. I've never done this sort of thing before and was worried about both my height and my weight. But apparently this group is gonna specialize in bringing back the classic style of the 30's through 50's and cater to all women, including gals like me for there are a lot of us out there!:)
I'll let you know how the lessons go. I'm gonna bring my patterns and my machine with me. I think the vintage vogue pattern is gonna be way too complicated for me for a while, but I really love it so she's going to do it for me. For now I'll stick to the simpler ones and maybe with a lot of time and practice I'll be able to do the more complicated ones.
Thanks for asking:D

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
May I suggest, as a person also learning to sew, that you perhaps make a pillow? Or kitchen towels or maybe an apron? Something very simple that would help you learn to sew in a straight line, try some different stitches, and just get the feel of your machine? I am so glad my mom got me a simple machine that does the basics. I think I would be utterly baffled if the thing had one more button lol

I tried to make a dress with my mom, and it ended up in the garbage. I made a mess after she left. I am now sewing a dog bed. It doesn't matter if it doesn't turn out, who will see it other than the dog? And I am learning how to sew different stitches and material. It has given me practice laying out my pattern pieces and trying to get the grain lined up. Which I didn't do so well with one piece, the material is like a courdery and you can really tell that the grain is slightly tilted! Good practice for me :)

I just suggest trying something other than a garment because of course you will want to wear your first creation. If it is slightly wonky you may not want to wear it and could end up feeling discouraged and frustrated.

Of course, that is just how I am choosing to learn, it is what works for me. I was so frustrated and disapointed by how badly my dress fit that I wanted to quit right there. I cut the zipper out and threw the dress in the garbage. The more simple dog bed works for me because I won't try to be such a perfectionist with it, and I will be more able to accept my mistakes without beating myself up :)

Which ever way you decide to go, I wish you luck!

anabolina

A-List Customer
I'm another newbie. I started sewing again for the first time since I was 10 last October and sewed a dress, then had some problems with another and gave up for a few months. Oh and I have a really cheap Brother, maybe when I get really good I'll invest in a better machine. In the mean time, the Brother does what I need it to.

I suppose Goldleaf is right that its good to start with something small, you'll avoid some frustration that way. I just jumped in and didn't even bother with a muslin. I made Simplicity 4531 with some help on the zipper from my Mom. Its actually wearable, although with a cardigan because the back poofs out a bit. The next dress I successfully completed was that one you have, the 5292. I love that one. I made it out of a purple patterned peachskin that is very wrinkle resistant.

Anyway, this sewing does get to be an addiction, huh. I've already bought about 30 or so new patterns whenever they go on sale at JoAnns or Hancocks and about 20 or so real vintage patterns from various online outlets. BTW, you may want to avoid box pleats for awhile, I tried one of my cute vintage Butterick patterns last weekend (had to avoid working on the term paper somehow) and the box pleats were a bear, and when I did get them in, I tried the skirt part on and the pleats did NOT enhance my figure. <sigh>

Good Luck with the lessons.

feltfan

First Sewing machine: Vintage or New?

Hi All,

I am looking to give a girl a sewing machine for her
13th birthday. I recently came across a White Rotary
sewing machine that is probably from the 30s or 40s.
It's an early electric knee control and maintained meticulously- it's
in like new condition. For the $10 including replacement
parts and cabinet, I couldn't resist!

But is this a good first machine for a kid, or would she
do better with a newer machine? I gather Pfaff machines
are popular here. I don't think she wants to do anything
very fancy, at least at first.

I'd be curious to hear what people think of learning on
an old machine like a White or a Singer and how they
differ from the new ones. I am not going to get her a $1000+
Bernina, but I would spend a lot more than ten bucks if there were
a good reason. I personally would use the White just
because it is a gorgeous vintage appliance, but if it were
to be an impediment to her progress, I would get her
something else. Please post recommendations if you think she
should use a different machine.

I don't usually post in The Powder Room, so
excuse me if this isn't appropriate. I searched
and did not see this information in old threads.

Thanks!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
feltfan said:
But is this a good first machine for a kid, or would she
do better with a newer machine?

No lol
I tell people often, who have no clue how to sew, that when they start off, get a nice middle range machine, and if they want to progress into other more advanced things, then drop serious cash.

She is learning, and a kid, get a machine you wouldnt mind seeing die for $100. After a couple of years, or less if shes totally into it, then give her the vintage one, or she may want a computerized one (altho I think they are over hyped).

Good luck,

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i think it depends a lot on the kid, and if she's into the idea of a vintage machine.

on on hand, my ex learned on grandma's 1921 treadle machine at age 7 and sewed up a storm.

on the other... my mom tried to teach me on her 1980s Singer and i was terrified of all the functions. fast forward to me trying to teach myself on my 1990s White and i was still terrified of it all! i've gotten over it now, but just barely ;)

also, i like the idea of a machine that's in a table and can't be stashed away at the back of a closet. your machine gets buried, and there goes the sewing! of course, i guess you could cover the table with junk, but it still seems more accessible to me!

is she being included in this decision or will it be a surprise? i'm sure she would have some input if she is to know in advance...

feltfan

ShooShooBaby said:
also, i like the idea of a machine that's in a table and can't be stashed away at the back of a closet. your machine gets buried, and there goes the sewing! of course, i guess you could cover the table with junk, but it still seems more accessible to me!

is she being included in this decision or will it be a surprise? i'm sure she would have some input if she is to know in advance...

I was thinking the same thing about the table. With her room,
you could lose a bicycle. But the free standing cabinet should help.

I did ask her about her preference for a sewing machine last night.
She knows what she wants to sew, but nothing about the machines.
She wants to sew very simple dolls and things like that. She's not
thinking button holes or clothing patterns at the moment. She had
no ideas about what sort of machine she wants.

Lady Day, I don't think she can kill this vintage machine... I am hoping
its simplicity will be a help.

gluegungeisha, why wouldn't you recommend it and what would
you recommend? I really am pretty ignorant about this and
would appreciate any details you can offer.

Thanks all! Keep those comments coming.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm another who learned to sew on an old treadle machine, and I think learning the basics on early equipment gives one a much sounder grasp of technique -- it's sort of like learning to drive in a car with a standard transmission. The beginning sewing student really *should* learn to do things manually -- that way she understands the process much more thoroughly than she would if all she had to do was press a button. And once she's learned on an old machine, using a modern one, if she chooses to do that, will be much much easier!

Chickpea

Familiar Face
At the age of 13, I dont think everyone sees the value of a good ol´sewing threadmill. lol

I´m a designer and sew professionally, and would go for an old, heavy beast any day, but thats because I know what I´m looking for and I value durability.
For my kids I would go for a nice and cheap Janome or Singer or such.

I think the age of the machine is not as important as what it can do and it's condition. I learned to sew on my Grandmother's and Mother's Singer's. One older than the other. They always seemed to have problems, so when I graduated High School my Mom got me a portable Singer. It wasn't fancy and did the same things that theirs did but with out the constant issues.
Think about the machines that they use in schools. They are always a nice basic machine with out all the digital stuff.
So if the machine you got is a simple basic machine and is in good working order I would say that is fine.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if I should speak for myself in this case. My mother had 13 sewing machines when I was growing up (she's a seamstress) and I learned on one of her old singers that would fold out of it's own sewing table. It could only go forwards and reverse, and all I needed was a good pair of pinking shears to keep my edges from fraying.

And honestly that's all you really need. A straight stitch, reverse and something extra to keep your fabric from fraying. A machine that can do button holes is nice, and a zig zag stitch is helpful, but learning how to sew doesn't require those things!

feltfan

Cherry_Bombb, BtheB, and CherryRed, your comments are timely.
I wrote to a friend who is a professional ballet
costumer, and she said,

"The older machines are beautiful, but they only do a straight stitch. Often they will do it beautifully, but it's too limited. Even the most basic machine these days does a minimum of straight, zig-zag, and buttonholes. She really needs to have the different stitches for the newer fabrics she'd be working with."

The thing is, it's a long way from being 13 and starting one's first
sewing project to being a costumer! I really appreciate the other
point of view. I will add pinking shears to the present.

Chickpea, you'd go for something cheap for the kids for the same
reason Lady Day recommends it, because it may die?

There's still time if anyone else wants to weigh in.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Chickpea and I think are on the same page.

My concern with the vintage machine is if it fails :( Or 'experimentation of materials'.

"It was a thin ply wood..." Yeah, I did that.

Also, the quote from the post you just made was spot on. Most old machines were closer to industrial machines. A fast straight stitch, generally no reverse, and even as late as the 1970's they didnt come with button hole options.

Pick up a machine at the thrift store, or Sears. They offer a whole lot for the price. Then, when she is totally in love with sewing, and knows the basics, make the vintage one an option.

Super good luck.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn