Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I do understand about the problems with where to place a hat when in a resteraunt these days, though I've personally not had any spilled coffee etc. on my hats in the chair I usually pull over to put my hat on. I will say that when I go into a coffee shop and sit at the counter I will keep the hat on my head ( as my father did when I was a kid back in the 50s) and in a bar I will usually keep it on ( but don't go to many of those these days :) ) but generally it comes off when I step inside a building. I also must admit to NOT owning any $300.00 hats and most of mine get past the pristine/new look very quickly so I guess I don't think about it much ( I like a hat to look like it is a part of me, and I'm NOT pristine / new by any means now :) ) Onward thru the fog :) BTW, I DO NOT THROW a hat on the bed :) I've got enough bad luck without adding more in life :)

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the best way to go is to use good judgement when it comes to picking which rules to follow. Blindly disapproving of any and all rules just because they're rules is just as bad as following any and all rules just because they're rules. When I enter a building, I make a separate decision each and every time as to whether or not taking my hat off is a good idea or not, and there are many factors that go into the decision. Some factors include, the class of the establishment, the safety of my hat (McDonalds isn't worth my hat removal, but Todd English's Tuscany is), how long I'm staying (no need encumbering my hands for a quick hop inside), why I'm going (I'll remove it for a date), etc. It's never cut and dry. There are a lot of really useless rules, but a lot of valid ones as well, so I just make sure I'm not blindly obeying for the hell of it, nor blindly disobeying out of some belief that anyone would care how rebellious I am.

I also make separate, independent decisions on every building situation. But I err on the side of wearing the hat, because that's the point of having the hat. I do like the others do who are wearing ball caps or stocking caps. If they keep theirs on inside, I keep mine on. I see little respectfulness emanating from ball cap wearers about whether they are inside or out. So I take that as my license and most of the time to likewise. Otherwise, I would be living by a different set of rules than other hat-wearers, which I don't feel obligated to do.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I found it humorous that you were warning me to stay out of courtrooms 1,000 miles from me, and had to have some fun with it.

Actually, I think that you can apply that hat-off in the courtroom warning to courtrooms all across the country, not just in Texas. May you never have a reason to find out about California specifically! ;)

Cheers,
Tom

(Native Californian)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Actually, I think that you can apply that hat-off in the courtroom warning to courtrooms all across the country, not just in Texas. May you never have a reason to find out about California specifically! ;)

Cheers,
Tom

(Native Californian)

Yes indeed, Tom, I certainly should have added "courtrooms" to my list of no-wear zones, not just churches. But I am in church every week and it's been many, many years since I was in a court room, so they just weren't on my radar when I wrote the original post that got this dialogue rolling. :D

Pompidou

One Too Many
Do most courtrooms have a hat check? A hat rack, even? I have to admit, I've only seen the inside of a courtroom 4 times, when I served jury duty. I wasn't a hat wearer at the time. That said, I don't even remember a place for people to hang their coats, and I did wear coats. I don't imagine they'd have a problem with people holding their hats in their hands, which would be perfectly fine with me. The only scenario that would leave me getting fined for noncompliance, and fined again for arguing, would be if they expected me to leave it unattended on some hat rack. If I'm not given a paired number tag, the hat stays with me. After all, it's not like I can fine the judge 350 in return when the hat's been stolen. I've never had a hat stolen, but how many stories on the Fedora Lounge should I have to read before I take action against such preemptively?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I served jury duty at the end of last winter. Wore a shirt/tie/waistcoat combo every day, as well as a fedora. Removed the hat before entering the courtroom and kept it on my lap, or on my bag under my seat. It was no problem.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Do most courtrooms have a hat check? A hat rack, even? I have to admit, I've only seen the inside of a courtroom 4 times, when I served jury duty. I wasn't a hat wearer at the time. That said, I don't even remember a place for people to hang their coats, and I did wear coats. I don't imagine they'd have a problem with people holding their hats in their hands, which would be perfectly fine with me. The only scenario that would leave me getting fined for noncompliance, and fined again for arguing, would be if they expected me to leave it unattended on some hat rack. If I'm not given a paired number tag, the hat stays with me. After all, it's not like I can fine the judge 350 in return when the hat's been stolen. I've never had a hat stolen, but how many stories on the Fedora Lounge should I have to read before I take action against such preemptively?

My experience is that the court would only require you to remove it when you enter, not that you leave it somewhere. Once, one of the guards started to say something to me as I was entering a courtroom when he realized my hand was already halfway up to remove it. Got a big nod and a smile. I got the impression he wasn't used to men removing their headgear without being directed to do so.

Regards,
Tom

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

'Fraid not. You take it off and hold it in your lap or put it on the bench next to you. At least in all the courtrooms I've been in down here and I'm sure it's the same in most places.

T Rick

Practically Family
May have missed it, but do most here wear their hats while driving/riding in a car? Does it depend on who (if anyone) is in the car with you?

A place I frequent for dinner is a restaurant/bar. As I understand it, most restaurants one removes a hat. Most bars (if I've read correctly), hats stay on ("Saloon" having given way to "bar", that is the way I've read this thread). Now in this case, a friend and I usually sit at the bar to eat. Would that be the same as eating at a lunch counter (where one would leave the hat on)?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wear my hat in the car. When its sunny, the brim keeps the sky out of my eyes. When its cold, it keeps my head warm. My passengers understand.

As far as the eating at the bar itself is concerned, yes, Id keep my hat on. In a booth, Id probably take it off and place it beside me on the seat. Often, in saloons and diners with booths, there is usually a windowsill right there. When there is, I place my hat on it (as long as theres no heat grating).

Bebop

Practically Family
What about in taverns? Should I take my hat off or set it on a hat rack or put it on the seat next to me or hold it in my lap or have my friend wear it or is taking my pants off good enough? :eusa_doh:

fmw

One Too Many
Personally, I don't think it is good manners to eat with your hat on - anywhere. I know people do it, particularly ball cap wearers. I always remove it to eat. I don't eat at counters but, if I did, I'd put the hat on my lap. I think it is OK to wear a hat in a mall or store while shopping or virtually any public place. For me, however, eating changes the rules. In a private setting - home or office, for example - or when eating anywhere, take the hat off. In my car, it doesn't matter to me. I usually wear my hat while driving. In someone else's car, I view that as a private place and remove it. I guess those attitudes date me, huh?

T Rick

Practically Family
What about in taverns? Should I take my hat off or set it on a hat rack or put it on the seat next to me or hold it in my lap or have my friend wear it or is taking my pants off good enough? :eusa_doh:
1. Never let your friend wear your hat. You don't know where his head has been.

2. For rule on removing pants in a tavern, try a search on "pants etiquette" in another area of TFL's Apparel section. Suits maybe?

I'm thinking saloon=tavern=bar, so I'm thinking the hat remains on. Unless I'm eating. Or in the presence of Royalty.
msp_flapper.gif

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear my hat in the car. When its sunny, the brim keeps the sky out of my eyes. When its cold, it keeps my head warm. My passengers understand.

You gotta wear your hat in a car, especially your own car. Where can you wear the darn thing if not there? I look for ways to expand the hat-wearing space, and I claim all the territory given me by ballcap wearers.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You gotta wear your hat in a car, especially your own car. Where can you wear the darn thing if not there? I look for ways to expand the hat-wearing space, and I claim all the territory given me by ballcap wearers.

Thats an interesting point. Ball cap wearers wear them pretty much everywhere, regardless of what 'hat etiquette' says. Then again, if they were at all interested in hat etiquette, theres a good chance theyd be wearing a felt hat of some sort, and not a ball cap.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Considering all the confusion it causes, and all the inconvenience, I'm surprised there's much of a fight to bring back hat etiquette. Part of me, most actually, says good riddance. We can come up with ways of showing how polite we are that leave our hands free for important things. Besides, who needs a hole in the brim from flopping the hat around all the time - up, down, up down, on, off, on, off - always fondling the brim. It's a Laurel and Hardy comedy skit. If people have forgotten, I say leave it that way.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I may be old fashioned, but I don’t think much has changed in terms of what is appropriate hat etiquette when out in public. Following traditional standards earns one respect, and ensures that you are remembered favorably by others; doesn’t matter if you’re wearing a fedora or a ball cap.

Removing your hat at the appropriate time shows respect and I’ve found often has the effect of leading to better service, whether at a restaurant, a store, or the bank. If I head out to dinner and am seated in a booth, the hat goes beside me. If I’m at a table it goes on the floor. If it gets spilled on, oh well. I’ve had plenty of good suits and shirts ruined when the person on the other side of the table spilled their coffee cup. Whether there is a hat hook, or whether other folks are wearing their hats doesn’t even factor into the equation.

I suppose to me hats (while fun) are just what they were originally, a useful piece of attire designed for a specific purpose, like an overcoat, a raincoat, or an umbrella. Can’t see any reason myself not to follow good manners when wearing them. But then I keep a copy of Emily Post’s Etiquette on my desk and am widely regarded as a curmudgeon.:)

I may be old fashioned, but I don’t think much has changed in terms of what is appropriate hat etiquette when out in public. Following traditional standards earns one respect, and ensures that you are remembered favorably by others; doesn’t matter if you’re wearing a fedora or a ball cap.

Removing your hat at the appropriate time shows respect and I’ve found often has the effect of leading to better service, whether at a restaurant, a store, or the bank. If I head out to dinner and am seated in a booth, the hat goes beside me. If I’m at a table it goes on the floor. If it gets spilled on, oh well. I’ve had plenty of good suits and shirts ruined when the person on the other side of the table spilled their coffee cup. Whether there is a hat hook, or whether other folks are wearing their hats doesn’t even factor into the equation.

I suppose to me hats (while fun) are just what they were originally, a useful piece of attire designed for a specific purpose, like an overcoat, a raincoat, or an umbrella. Can’t see any reason myself not to follow good manners when wearing them. But then I keep a copy of Emily Post’s Etiquette on my desk and am widely regarded as a curmudgeon.:)

Maybe... but you're a dapper curmudgeon. You are wearing the Nostalgia very well these days.

Amen! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo