Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Here in Norway, it's almost the same thing, except that we don't wear any sort of headgear indoors ever, and a salute indoors is a quick nod upwards..

Come to think of it, after 8AM, the usual salute is the upwards nod (not the hand salute) or just "hello" or "good day".

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Oh noooo, I don't go for that. Sometimes it's hard enough trying to see the stage or screen. I always remove my hat in such a venue, as should everyone. It's just common courtesy with a practical reason.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm of an age when I can remember when there were far more "rules" for behavior in public, which included how and what one wore, than seem to be "aceptable" to todays "... don't regulate me" world we are living in. When a major multi-national product company like Nike, produces an advertisment which put's forth the admonition to " Just DO IT" as a norm for folks I'm afraid we are just wishing for something which won't be. There are references to how it was and what was considered acceptable which we who care can try and follow but I'm afraid all this discussion is really moot in the 21st century as it is progressing. I speak in refernce to the US as I do not live nor know how it is in other countries. JMHO :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
We are definitely moving in a direction of less formality on all levels. And it's not likely to change. Once people have a taste of 'I can be my own person and don't tell me what to do, it's almost impossible to reel that back in. True, different groups in society push the envelope to levels that they are comfortable with, but everyone pushes it. What seems to disturb many of us here are things such as manners and modes of dress, to name two. But that's not going to change anything in mainstream society outside our own families, and if we're lucky, friends. It just makes us feel a little better to complan about it.

m0nk

One Too Many
I think that the fact that we are all here is a testimant to the idea some members of the modern society are not content with the direction that that society is heading. Personally, I do wish there were more people out there that had the same respect for "the way it was" and how to act and dress appropriately in the company of others as the members here, but perhaps the level of viewership in every FL forum will help propel us back into the age of manners and respect... we can lead by example.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
Had an interesting, almost embarrassing experience last night.

Went out to eat at a Chinese buffet, and wore my new Resistol 20X. Removed my hat while walking through the door, carried it to the table, and set it down on a chair next to where I was sitting. No hat rack, you know.

While eating, some youngster walked by and knocked my hat off the chair and onto the floor, then proceeded to hold his plate with one hand and pick up my hat with the other. I was scared to death he was going to spill his plate in my hat! Fortunately he didn't, even though both his hands were only about three inches apart, but I went totally against the grain and wore my hat for the rest of the meal.

Wow.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
When I'm in a restaurant with no hat rack and no extra chairs, I ask my wife place her purse between us and put my hat on top of her purse. So far it's worked every time. My concern was that the hat would slip off of the purse, but it hasn't.

BR

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Had an interesting, almost embarrassing experience last night.

Went out to eat at a Chinese buffet, and wore my new Resistol 20X. Removed my hat while walking through the door, carried it to the table, and set it down on a chair next to where I was sitting. No hat rack, you know.

While eating, some youngster walked by and knocked my hat off the chair and onto the floor, then proceeded to hold his plate with one hand and pick up my hat with the other. I was scared to death he was going to spill his plate in my hat! Fortunately he didn't, even though both his hands were only about three inches apart, but I went totally against the grain and wore my hat for the rest of the meal.

Wow.

Necessity is the mother of you know what, so one of us should market a simple hat hook with a small, double-faced adhesive pad, that could be stuck to the wall next to your table. Sure, some restaurant owners would freak out and tell you to never darken their door again, and then you'd have to shuffle off to the next restaurant, hook #2 in pocket, but . . .

it might just spur some restaurant owners to provide a better version.

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
When I'm in a restaurant with no hat rack and no extra chairs, I ask my wife place her purse between us and put my hat on top of her purse. So far it's worked every time. My concern was that the hat would slip off of the purse, but it hasn't.

The big wide-brimmed Western hats are just a bit too large for that -- I'd end up sitting on the floor instead of in the booth!

Necessity is the mother of you know what, so one of us should market a simple hat hook with a small, double-faced adhesive pad, that could be stuck to the wall next to your table. Sure, some restaurant owners would freak out and tell you to never darken their door again, and then you'd have to shuffle off to the next restaurant, hook #2 in pocket, but . . .
it might just spur some restaurant owners to provide a better version.

Interesting thought. I've noticed that almost NO place has a hat rack any more -- I wonder what happened to them all.

dnjan

One Too Many
I have put it over the edge of the booth seatback - often there is a little rim that will hold it in place.
Or else I commandeer the condiments holder, and loop the cord over that. And hang the hat off the end of the table.

dnjan

One Too Many
No marks. I use a clip with smooth, curved jaws. No teeth. Came from a conference nametag.
Works well when flying as well, as I can hang my hat from the folded-up tray table.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have often thought about where toplace my hat whilst dining in restaurants.

Even places that have coat racks, I am hesitant to leave my hat where I can't see it because it is such a novelty, and in my mind, a temptation for sticky fingers.

So that leaves me with where to keep it at my seat. It also makes me uncomfortable to leave it anywhere it can get spilled on or smooshed by some half awake or uncaring wait-staff, patron or child, especially if it was hanging off the back of my chair. My best solution to all of this thus far has been to put my napkin or my bag on the floor under my seat and put my hat on top of it. It's within my grasp and fairly well protected. Just presenting another alternative.

m0nk

One Too Many
I have often thought about where toplace my hat whilst dining in restaurants.

Even places that have coat racks, I am hesitant to leave my hat where I can't see it because it is such a novelty, and in my mind, a temptation for sticky fingers.

So that leaves me with where to keep it at my seat. It also makes me uncomfortable to leave it anywhere it can get spilled on or smooshed by some half awake or uncaring wait-staff, patron or child, especially if it was hanging off the back of my chair. My best solution to all of this thus far has been to put my napkin or my bag on the floor under my seat and put my hat on top of it. It's within my grasp and fairly well protected. Just presenting another alternative.
I find myself with the same dilemma when going out. If hats were as readily accessible as they were in the 40's, I'm sure I wouldn't think twice about hanging it up out of sight or worry that something would spill on it at the table, but since that $130 - $500 hat came from Australia, or required a 6 month wait, there is more pause when making that decision. We certainly worry ourselves more over our hats today simply because of the accessibility issue.

amador

A-List Customer
I had a patient who was a life long resident of the Tacoma WA area. He had visited a friend in Texas for two weeks a couple of months prior and was so enamored of the "cowboy culture" that he started to wear a Stetson cowboy hat, western shirts, jeans with a wide belt and large buckle and cowboy boots. He was also trying to talk like a Texan, y'all. He stated that he did not take off his hat even while eating. He noted that he did not take off his pants while eating why should he take off his hat? I excused myself and retrieved my FedIV. We conducted the clinic visit in our hats. When in Rome...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari