All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Canadave, Apr 2, 2004.

1. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The rules of etiquette when receiving an honour from the Queen, such as a medal or title, is, for the gentlemen, to wear a morning suit and a top hat. But the hat should be removed for the ceremony. I'm so glad that General Schwarzkopf kept his hat on. I wasn't sure if the military are excused such petty etiquette, so I looked up ‎Johnson Beharry, the last person to be awarded The Victoria Cross. Hats off by the look of it.
    nkh.jpg Johnson-Beharry.jpg
    Did you know that although General Schwarzkopf's knighthood is only honory, he will always be addressed as Sir Norman any time he visits the UK. Most Knights are recognised if they sign their name with their award, for General Swarzkopf that would be KC, or Knight Commander. But his face is so famous that he doesn't need to let anyone know.
    When asked about his honour he said: "Compared to this, Sadam was a piece of cake."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. hydrowillys

hydrowillys New in Town

I refuse to move on.. Peace deadlyhandsome..

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

3. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

Admittedly, I'm in Australia...but I'm quite confident it wasn't JFK's fault

JFK1.png
    JFK2.png JFK3.png

4. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Your in good company here, but we will remain in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. hydrowillys

hydrowillys New in Town

Knighthood.. By the Queen.. No. Sorry. We kicked their asses and have been bailing them out ever since. I don't bow to the monarchy of England..not since the 1700s..

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

But she is a nice lady!

7. deadlyhandsome

We can still respect them and our common culture. I’ll admit to being a bit of an Anglophile and they have been steadfast allies and have come to our aid many times after WW2. We don’t “bow” to them, but we can offer respect and an appreciation for their sizable contributions to Western Civilization...including some darn fine hats.

Also remember that this is an international forum with valued members from all over the world, including the UK. Civility is required.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    1967Cougar390 and andrew_AU like this.
  8. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

Being an Aussie, she's still officially our Queen. She recently wrote a lovely letter to my Grandmother to celebrate my gran's 100th birthday.

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Being a Canadian and a mere colonial I have mixed thoughts about the monarchy but as you say she does represent the lineage of British history and I think we, on both sides of the 49th parallel owe Britain a tip of the cap for the body of law, the institutions, their sense of propriety and stiff upper lip (ness). I do however salute my great grandparents for having the courage and good sense to have gotten the hell out and emigrate to Canada.

10. hydrowillys

hydrowillys New in Town

Yes she is...just ask Diana.

11. hydrowillys

hydrowillys New in Town

I'm going to respectfully bow out of this conversation. I love hats. Enough said. Long live the fedora!

12. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

There's a strong minority of us who think that the monarchy is an anachronism, but as the majority is far greater, there's no sense rocking the boat. An amusing anecdote that made our press might amuse you too, although you probably read about it at the time:

An American man has received an amusing letter from Buckingham Palace after he asked the Queen to take back control of the USA amid his frustration with the Republican presidential candidates. To his surprise he received a letter back from Buckingham Palace. The letter then made it on to every social media site, sending it viral in hours. If you missed the story (very much tongue in cheek) you can see it here:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ing-queen-to-take-back-usa-amid-a3092761.html

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. deadlyhandsome

Probably a good idea.

I love my country but I do not agree with every leader we’ve had or decision we’ve ever made...in fact, I’ve been downright ashamed by some of them. Say what you will, but common law, the Magna Carta, separation of powers, a bicameral legislature, etc. covers a lot of sins.

A nation of slavery, Indian genocide, Japanese internment, Monroe Doctrine meddling in other countries affairs, institutional torture, etc. shouldn’t be making judgments on other’s failings. All people and all nations are imperfect. I happen to believe that the US is a wonderful country, but that doesn’t mean I don’t see it’s warts. The UK has its own failings, but I appreciate it and I love it’s people.

14. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

My wife and I have had the pleasure of visiting the shores of Uncle Sam many times, our reception wherever we've been is welcoming as deadlyhandsome's heartwarming compliment. The best of reactions though was when customs caught me smuggling. The US has very strict controls over food imports. There's a coffee from Kenya called Peaberry that I love and have never been able to find whilst in the States, so I put a small pack of it inside a French press and it came up on the scanning screen. The security officer opened it up, smelt it and said: "Man that is really great coffee." And let me keep it. I do so love Uncle Sam.

15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Funny, you don't look that old.

Frunobulax likes this.
  16. hydrowillys

hydrowillys New in Town

I have a special face cream..

Zombie_61 likes this.
  17. DanO

DanO One of the Regulars

Back to the hat, when I was in the rule was outdoors lids,covers,hats on, indoors hats off. the photo of General Schwarzkopf appears to be taken outdoors.

18. deadlyhandsome

Military protocols are different. I well remember my cover getting doffed or donned as the threshold was crossed. I understand your comment was regarding the General, but I don’t think it translates into civilian life. Even in the Golden Era polite men wore their hats indoors in non-intimate areas (lobbies, elevators, etc.).

I also wonder if we would be willing to pay a surcharge for hat checks today.

19. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

I always called that a "tip". :D