Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Wolfmanjack said:
If you are not speaking to anyone, except to say "Hello" and "Goodbye", it is quite alright to leave your hat on. But consider doing a brim tug; it's a time-honored social gesture...and it looks quite dapper. Or, you can go all the way with "The Magnificent Gesture."

Yes, most definitely, take your hat off. Back in the day, speaking at some length to a lady with your hat on was highly disrespectful...unless you're Philip Marlowe in The Big Sleep.

Standing over someone, man or woman, giving them instructions with your hat on would have been (in the day) the height of boorish arrogance.

Here's Marlowe giving instructions, "Go ahead and scratch."

bsscratching.jpg

Too big to fail? lol

Well, I would definitely lift my hat for her (Secretary, Executive Assistant or whichever is the proper term), but to take the hat off already in the hall/corridor or in her room (which is right outside mine and I have to go through it to get into mine) somehow doesn't seem all that mandatory, specially that the hat rack is in my room. I have a suit case in one hand. So should I hold my hat on the other hand then till I'm in my room to hang it on the rack? I think lifting the hat to greet her but keeping it on till I'm in my room where the hat rack is is not disrespectful. Now if I will be just out of the door again in 5 minutes and she comes in to ask something and I'm not even sitting on my desk(maybe just came in to get something and leave again) yeah, I could hang my hat on the rack for 5 minutes even if I know I'm not staying, but somehow showing the respect of lifting the hat for her on arrival seems appropriately cordial/respectful for the situation.

Reddog

New in Town
Good information but I agree, with all that confusing data it is no wonder men just quit wearing hats. There needs to be a revision in the rules as hats are once again becoming popular. I think most today's women would cringe with all the hat tipping etc. I agree with taking one's hat off when talking to a lady and in doors etc, but the tipping thing would confuse me totally.

Reddog

New in Town
One thing I would't do is leave any of my hats on a rack unattended or out of sight. Even someone who doesn't even appreciate knows the value of a good lid. Another thing I disagree with is having to carry my hat because someone thinks it improper to me wearing it indoors, houses, eating establishments - yes, take it off, stores, office building corridors, crowded places On. With so many rules, it's no wonder most men just say No to hats in general.

donnc

One of the Regulars
Funny to see this thread drug back from the dead today. Coincidentally, this afternoon when I ventured forth, just up the block I encountered a gentleman who stops by once in a while to read the electric meter. Long hair, long beard, orange reflective vest and a red "ball cap". Along with his salutation, he kind of snatched at his hat, not a huge flourish but it was something, and I snatched at the brim of my panama in response. So, there you go: it's time to practice your hat gestures, if you want them to look polished, because that stuff is clearly coming back.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
but there's also only one snap brim in the bunch, and the reason given for the crown handling is to avoid messing with the brim shape.

I wonder if there was a shift after snap brims became more popular or whether the brim handling is just the preservationist in each of us learning from the pinch-hole mistakes of the past.

FPKawaii

New in Town
Very helpful guide. I was taught the opposite of almost all of this. Now I just need to get this new knowledge burned into my head.

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
etiquette

I've been surfing the web for hat etiquette...and boy it's complicated :eusa_doh:

I've got a specific question...if I'm going into a shop/store/supermarket, should I keep my hat on? (as it's not a private room, or even an elevator containing a lady lol)

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Easy really,keep it on,what are you going to do with it?Any public environment where you are walking around needing the use of your hands you keep it on.The clues in the title 'market'.Hat etiquette isn't what it was,if you wandered around 'doffing' you would be considered strange.It's even ok to keep it on in certain peoples homes,if others keep their hats on so can you.It's the old definition of a gentleman 'making those around you comfortable',walk into the home of an elderly lady and keep it on you're rude,walk into your teenage sons mates' flat with it and you're not.Just be a bit sensitive to the older generation.Nice lid by the way,very outback adventure!

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Yeah that's how I view the rule as well. If its a public space like a market, shopping mall or even lobby of a building or in the corridors and elevator just keep it on. When you arrive at someones office then take it off, or when you enter someones home I take my hat off as soon as I can find a reasonable place to put it. I do take my hat off when seated at a restaurant, but I'll leave it on while sitting in the foyer waiting on a table unless I hang it on my knee. There is no reason to inconvenience yourself or take up extra space by trying to hold your hat each time you walk through a door.

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
Alright Scot, I know I'm an idjut, but the link you posted was for wind trolies; was that right? Or did I miss the part about etiquette in there? I'm starting to get feeble in my old age! :eek:

I think the ID numbers for threads are wonky since the forum upgrade. If you search for a topic in the Lounge using Google, it'll say one thing and get redirected to a thread completely unrelated.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been surfing the web for hat etiquette...and boy it's complicated :eusa_doh:

I've got a specific question...if I'm going into a shop/store/supermarket, should I keep my hat on? (as it's not a private room, or even an elevator containing a lady lol)

A good rule of thumb is to treat hats like you would sunglasses.
They may look great on you outdoors, but they're not really serving any purpose indoors. Sure, you can keep them on if it's a quick trip inside, but if you plan to be there a while, you should take them off.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know. I like walking around with my hat on indoors at a shopping mall, any store, or other kind of milling-around place. The baseball hat wearers keep theirs on, so I claim the same right.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Keep it on. If it is an intimate place with lots of personal contact then off it comes. If it is a very public, mostly strangers place then they don't want to see your "hat head" and the worry of taking care of hat with it not on your head makes it more trouble than it is worth.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I wear my hat indoors in public spaces. like bumfrey hogart said, carrying it around with you when you're using your hands would be strange. There are some instances in today's society where removing it would be considered more rude or bizarre than keeping it on.

DesertDan

One Too Many
In public spaces such stores, lobbies, waiting rooms, hallways etc. one is not obligated to remove one's hat.
It is considered polite to remove one's hat in an elevator if a woman is present but this is not expected if the elevator is crowded

It is improper to wear a hat in someone's domicile or "living space", a classroom or a private place such as private office, examination/hospital room etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy