Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
KeyGrip said:
Okay, how about in a university setting? I take my hat off in elevators out of habit, but I'm not sure how to treat a building full of classrooms or a classroom itself. Any ideas?

Treat the building as any other office building, but take off the hat when you are in class just as you would when you reach your desk at work.

Just my 2¢ worth!

Cheers,
Tom

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
KeyGrip said:
Okay, how about in a university setting? I take my hat off in elevators out of habit, but I'm not sure how to treat a building full of classrooms or a classroom itself. Any ideas?
I certainly hope that a classroom would be considered a sufficiently intimate indoor environment to warrant removal of the lid.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
KeyGrip said:

I keep it on in the lobby and corridors, take it off when I get to a classroom or the common room. I'll usually leave it on if I go straight to the library instead of stopping off at the common room, because I'm usually carrying a load of books, but take it off at the service counter. Even the self-service counter.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
adamgottschalk said:
I certainly hope that a classroom would be considered a sufficiently intimate indoor environment to warrant removal of the lid.

Depends on the class. I'm lucky enough to have some classes where I actually get to know the other students, but there's really nothing intimate about a room full of 300 people. :( So far it sounds like I'm on the right track here, as I usually take off the lid when entering a class room. It's just that I've never read any school-specific hat etiquette guides. Seems like a fairly ambiguous environment.

donCarlos

Practically Family
So according to this "intimacy rule", I don´t need to remove my hat eg. in supermarkets and public transport vehicles, right? (anyway, I still have to remove the hat while standing in vehicles, because I´m just too tall and the hat keeps hitting the handrails)

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
In a large, non-intimate classroom the "theater rule" comes in to play, whereby one removes the hat to avoid needlessly obstructing the view of anyone seated behind.

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
Cowboy hat etiquette

As this is the Fedora Lounge this may not be wholly appropriate, but hey...

I live in Colorado Springs and there is a fair number of cowboy hats around (not a large number, surprisingly, but they are not uncommon).

Most wearers of cowboy hats can be seen tipping them at ladies, so they are not unaware of etiquette, but what you do not see is them removing said hats indoors.

Is there some secret exception to 'remove hat whilst indoors' that applies to cowboy hats...?

gdkenoyer said:
As this is the Fedora Lounge this may not be wholly appropriate, but hey...

I live in Colorado Springs and there is a fair number of cowboy hats around (not a large number, surprisingly, but they are not uncommon).

Most wearers of cowboy hats can be seen tipping them at ladies, so they are not unaware of etiquette, but what you do not see is them removing said hats indoors.

Is there some secret exception to 'remove hat whilst indoors' that applies to cowboy hats...?

There is no exception based on type of hat. Only women are exempt due to pins and other such accoutrements fixing the hat to their head could not be easily removed as a man's could---among other reasons. :D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I guess it depends upon the cowboy. I'd rip Bon Jovi's hat right off his head.

I'm not going to mess with a guy who does this for fun:
BullRidingHelmet2.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm now an adjunct professor of History at the local university, and I put a note in my syllabus that gentlemen are to remove their hats and caps while in the classroom, as that's a respectful tradition we WILL follow.

They grudgingly removed their caps on Monday, and I noticed today that I didn't have to remind them.

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
I'm now an adjunct professor of History at the local university, and I put a note in my syllabus that gentlemen are to remove their hats and caps while in the classroom, as that's a respectful tradition we WILL follow.

They grudgingly removed their caps on Monday, and I noticed today that I didn't have to remind them.

Brad

How many professed they weren't gentleman and it didn't apply to them? ;) :p

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

warbird

One Too Many
It depends on where the indoors is. I will leave my hat on in a large indoor building. I will also usually leave it on in a bar. I always take my hat off when sitting to eat.

warbird

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

What about the women who dress like men?

I'm serious (can of worms being opened). I think rules should change, some women are getting a pass on this. The rules of etiquette were set when women dressed in nicer clothes, just as men did, and their hats were dress hats and as has been said often were pinned into place. It also goes back to the days when women covered their heads in church.

Now they often wear jeans and t-shirts and ballcaps. They should take those off inside as well.

Josephine

One Too Many
warbird said:
What about the women who dress like men?

Now they often wear jeans and t-shirts and ballcaps. They should take those off inside as well.

Even Mis Manners says that women should remove ball caps, just like men do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy