Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds' Broadstreet's return!

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard,

373962_10151266166163811_855864914_n.jpg

I would like to find a pair of shoes like this but with the white leather replaced with khaki canvas. That would go real well with khaki summer suits.

My concern with many of these modern made shoes is they don't come in size 11 wide and toe toe boxes are way too narrow. The whole toe box thing with a long narrow driven by style rather than function really annoys me.

Foxer, they do have a linen spectator shoe: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5505_1_40000000001_-1

univibe88

One Too Many

My concern with many of these modern made shoes is they don't come in size 11 wide and toe toe boxes are way too narrow. The whole toe box thing with a long narrow driven by style rather than function really annoys me.

I have no idea of the toe box on the last on this particular shoe, but AE prides itself on making shoes in a wide variety of widths. I wear an 9EEE and no problem getting them in nearly any model from AE.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think I have seen a few pairs that were new on eBay, not sure if they are a "revised" version or not, as I have no spectators from A.E. just normal wing tips or oxfords. However as to what I have seen they do make a wide in their shoes. I am not sure if this is rare of not? Often when I see some really nice shoes on eBay they are exactly what I am looking for, but too narrow, a "C" or "AA" size. The more popular "medium" is more prone to not surface or be purchased before I get the opportunity to bid. This happens even when my Wife is looking to find me a deal.....notice the word, deal....I won't pay for the current new price of an AE shoe like this, nothing wrong with the shoes at all, but for the price I am going to wait and find a vintage shoe, and as such that is what my luck has delivered to me. I have to currently be a more "budget oriented" buyer and paying more than $200.00 for a pair of any shoes requires a lot more "rarity" and hopeful vintage then the AE's are. No one buying these for new and at a new price would be tossing bad money they are nice and worth what you pay for them, just as I stated, I personally prefer a more rare or vintage shoe for the budget spent. If AE sold these for closer to $175.00 a pair out the door, then I would entertain a few pairs of them at new priicing.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
AE is directing the majority of its shoes into the 5 last which is a narrow last per se.

You know is this a move by AE to recruit buyers that tend to want those dreadfully long nosed shoes that some call "Italian style" shoes? Those shoes that remind me (at least and not knocking if you want to wear them, that is on you) but the shoes that are like "water ski" length? I do notice more and more at least on eBay some really well made wingtips that suffer the fate of that 15 inch long front of the shoe, instead of having a normal well balanced construction/design? I can't help it, for me (again no disrespect meant to anyone) but those long shoes can't be anything I could wear no matter how the price tag goes. My newest AE would be a guess but more than likely from the late 1980's, my oldest would be maybe 1968 or so? Maybe 1970 but far from newly made. They are very comfortable and I wear them in the mix with all my other dress shoes. They shine well, have a lot of life and support my feet nicely, and look very nice.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I would suggest calling customer service with your issue (1-800-235-2348 (Mon-Fri 7:00AM-6PM CST). . I think they might find a way to get those shoes to you. If the customer service rep is not responsive then ask to speak with Paul Grangaard, the CEO.
Wow I think that would sure get you some results. Hope you can find a resolve and have the shoes you want.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Matt Deckard,

373962_10151266166163811_855864914_n.jpg

I would like to find a pair of shoes like this but with the white leather replaced with khaki canvas. That would go real well with khaki summer suits.

I have always liked the leather/material combination on Spectator shoes. I was so darn lucky to find a pair of Peterson Brand. Not sure who actually made the shoe, but I like them. I have had them for a while and they are worn with brown, green, grey, and navy blue trousers. A few times, I have tip toed them while wearing Jeans....(gasp) !!!!

Foxer55

A-List Customer
My thanks to Herringbone kid, Ottowa_adam, and univibe88 for the links to sources. Those are really nice shoes and may be accessible in my size. Now, how do I justify 400 smackers?

Foxer55

A-List Customer
LoveMyHats2,

I have to currently be a more "budget oriented" buyer and paying more than $200.00 for a pair of any shoes requires a lot more "rarity" and hopeful vintage then the AE's are. No one buying these for new and at a new price would be tossing bad money they are nice and worth what you pay for them, just as I stated, I personally prefer a more rare or vintage shoe for the budget spent. If AE sold these for closer to $175.00 a pair out the door, then I would entertain a few pairs of them at new priicing.

I agree, these shoes are really pricey and its hard to justify spending $400 on a pair. Yes, we can do it but is it 'justifiable?' Especially when you consider you probably wouldn't wear them frequently.

You know is this a move by AE to recruit buyers that tend to want those dreadfully long nosed shoes that some call "Italian style" shoes? Those shoes that remind me (at least and not knocking if you want to wear them, that is on you) but the shoes that are like "water ski" length?

I absolutely agree with this view and am curious about why shoe makers are all jumping in in this. I wear a size 10 1/2 or 11 and can barely get my feet under the dash of my Chevy Impala now. These long toe shoes look pretty stupid in my opinion, they remind me of a court jester with the curled toe slippers with a bell on the toe. Gads! Form follows function so I'm not sure I get the meaning of the exagerated toe shoes, they certailny arent't functional.

I have always liked the leather/material combination on Spectator shoes. I was so darn lucky to find a pair of Peterson Brand. Not sure who actually made the shoe, but I like them. I have had them for a while and they are worn with brown, green, grey, and navy blue trousers. A few times, I have tip toed them while wearing Jeans....(gasp) !!!!

I love the khaki and brown color combination on the shoe. Its very smart looking.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab

Foxer: Not to engage in the hard sell but I have a pair of the Herring leather and linen spectators in size US 11 for sale in the classifieds section...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wonder if they are the same caliber make as the Broadstreet. If so, that's a pretty good deal for MTO (Made To Order).

cookie

I'll Lock Up
You know is this a move by AE to recruit buyers that tend to want those dreadfully long nosed shoes that some call "Italian style" shoes? Those shoes that remind me (at least and not knocking if you want to wear them, that is on you) but the shoes that are like "water ski" length? I do notice more and more at least on eBay some really well made wingtips that suffer the fate of that 15 inch long front of the shoe, instead of having a normal well balanced construction/design? I can't help it, for me (again no disrespect meant to anyone) but those long shoes can't be anything I could wear no matter how the price tag goes. My newest AE would be a guess but more than likely from the late 1980's, my oldest would be maybe 1968 or so? Maybe 1970 but far from newly made. They are very comfortable and I wear them in the mix with all my other dress shoes. They shine well, have a lot of life and support my feet nicely, and look very nice.

Americans - outside basketball players - have narrower feet than Euro/Brits/Aussies. Hence USA D fitting is less "medium" than the normal medium Euro fitting or UK medium (F or E or 5 depending on maker). It is easier, therefore, to sell AEs in 5 last. The problem is that it is an increasing tendency. I find an AE11D in the 5 last insufficient and I need E or EE and in 10.5 the same - though 10.5EEE is too wide.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Wow, this deal should have its own thread!

Please dont take this as a criticism, but which of those color combos are really wearable without looking goofy? The red and white + the black and red are the least bad, but I have problems with the others. Decades ago, US designers led the pack, but now they seem to be following international trends. Church's and Trickers have been doing this style for years

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Tricker_s/Custom_Made_Tricker_s_Gallery/

the ones with the tweed fabric are actually pretty cool, i think.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please dont take this as a criticism, but which of those color combos are really wearable without looking goofy? The red and white + the black and red are the least bad, but I have problems with the others. Decades ago, US designers led the pack, but now they seem to be following international trends. Church's and Trickers have been doing this style for years

The cardinal & gray look good along with black & gold as well as black & cardinal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24