Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha MA-1, made in Knoxville, arrived today...are you ready for this?

Edward

Bartender
The B-15 will arrive on Thursday, the 6th. It is the "Vintage" B-15, made in USA, from belote on Ebay, 99.5% positive feedback. Bet it goes right back to him faster than a Cheetah on cocaine!

Good seller. I bought my Replica Series B15C from him. I'd deal with them aain if they had more of that Replica series, especially the B15D. I don't have a vintage series B15, though I do have an L2A from that series. The blue nylon on the vintage series is much lighter than the navy as standard issue and it doesn't have some other details (label is commercial not repro; zip pulls have very subtle Alpha marking), but as a garment it's grand. Probably it will all depend on whether you like the colour or not.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Good seller. I bought my Replica Series B15C from him. I'd deal with them aain if they had more of that Replica series, especially the B15D. I don't have a vintage series B15, though I do have an L2A from that series. The blue nylon on the vintage series is much lighter than the navy as standard issue and it doesn't have some other details (label is commercial not repro; zip pulls have very subtle Alpha marking), but as a garment it's grand. Probably it will all depend on whether you like the colour or not.

The jacket is black, so I will like it. Non-removable fur collar. Hope it is better than the sorry MA-1 that was here!

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
I just clicked on the name tag, then went to feedback, then selected "show all feedback".

Let's say I pull up eBay and want to search for a seller I saw previously (for instance "armyboots"). Is there a way to search for that seller specifically?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fingers crossed for you FlyGuy. Let us know when you get it.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Let's say I pull up eBay and want to search for a seller I saw previously (for instance "armyboots"). Is there a way to search for that seller specifically?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Go to Ebay, search "Made in USA MA-1 Alpha". usarmyboots will come up. Click on that, then click see all feedback. That should do it. His feedback is very positive.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

How is the sizing on your L2A? Normal fit, or does it run undersized? You would think that a large is a large is a large, but it does not seem to be the case.

Edward

Bartender
How is the sizing on your L2A? Normal fit, or does it run undersized? You would think that a large is a large is a large, but it does not seem to be the case.

Fairly standard XL, I'dcall it an average 42-44, the correct neat but not form-fitting look for the L2A. Can't comment on whether more recent models match it, though, as this is one of the old stock jobs. The L2s as issued were all neatrer fit than the B15, but afaik the Vintage and Replica series both from the early 90s were pretty close to the originals, fit-wise.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Fairly standard XL, I'dcall it an average 42-44, the correct neat but not form-fitting look for the L2A. Can't comment on whether more recent models match it, though, as this is one of the old stock jobs. The L2s as issued were all neatrer fit than the B15, but afaik the Vintage and Replica series both from the early 90s were pretty close to the originals, fit-wise.

My Vintage B-15 will be here today. Ordered size (L). Hope it is a 42R. If so, it will be a perfect fit. Will know this afternoon...maybe late tonight as UPS has a habit of making deliveries at 2100.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Fingers crossed for you FlyGuy. Let us know when you get it.

ITS HERE! And I could NOT be more pleased!!! At $65, this is a steal. The jacket is a large size, but is a very close fit, not long in length, but looks good in the mirror. It actually fits through the shoulder like my size 44R US Wings (Schott) G-1. It is a deeeeeep black, much darker than the Ebay photos.

There are no issues with this jacket at all. A few minor wrinkles, but those will go away eventually. Nothing like the sorry MA-1 that arrived on my doorstep a few days ago.

If any of you are looking for a nice B-15, made in the USA, better act quick. The price is a bargain, and you get a great jacket in return. Not many of these left, I suspect.

Did I tell you I like the jacket?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
A photo...the wrinkles are not as bad as they look here.

P1010049.jpg

alsendk

A-List Customer
Just bought one. Could not resist, when looking at yours, TXFlyGuy. In accordance to their add, there was only 9 left, out of 111 sold - if this is to believe. Now I just wonder what the taxman will be charging me, when it passes through the customs ;O)
Anyway, I could never find a jacket like this in Denmark.
Thanks for bringing up this, to my attention.
Allan

b15black1.JPG
b15black2.JPG
b15black3.JPG

9623_7764_popup.jpg
Bought this one 2 years ago, and love it, but unfortunally the zipper broke this winter

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Allen...good for you! I know you will like this jacket. It is actually of a better quality than I had hoped for. I think you can get the zipper fixed / replaced on your MA-1.

My great-grandparents are from Denmark, on my Dad's side of the family.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
TXFly,

Since you're at the store so to speak, what are your physical dimensions and shoulder, arm, p2p, and back length on your jacket?

Thanks

All measurements taken with jacket face down (backside), flat on a table.

Across top of shoulder - seam to seam: 19 1/2"
Top of shoulder to end of sleeve: 24"
Pit to pit - across back: 25"
Top of collar to bottom of waistband: 25 1/2"

After the wrinkles iron out, I suspect these measurements could increase by 1/2" in any direction. As stated, the jacket is not long. It certainly won't keep your butt warm! Very traditional MA-1 / B-15 type of fit. Not overly blousy or puffy like some MA-1's.

One other point worth mentioning...the synthetic fur on the collar, it is nearly as nice as the genuine mouton fur collar on my G-1.

Last edited:

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
All measurements taken with jacket face down (backside), flat on a table.

Across top of shoulder - seam to seam: 19 1/2"
Top of shoulder to end of sleeve: 24"
Pit to pit - across back: 25"
Top of collar to bottom of waistband: 25 1/2"

After the wrinkles iron out, I suspect these measurements could increase by 1/2" in any direction. As stated, the jacket is not long. It certainly won't keep your butt warm! Very traditional MA-1 / B-15 type of fit. Not overly blousy or puffy like some MA-1's.

One other point worth mentioning...the synthetic fur on the collar, it is nearly as nice as the genuine mouton fur collar on my G-1.

Thanks! And you're like 5'11'' and 175 lbs? (and the sleeve length includes cuff of course?)

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Yup, 5' 11", 175lbs. A pretty regular 42...a 40 sometimes will fit. This jacket has a "fitted" look, but is not too small or uncomfortable. I think it will become my "go to" jacket, even taking priority over my much more expensive (7X) A-2 and G-1.

Yes, sleeve length is to the end of the cuff from the shoulder seam.

Last edited:

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
Yup, 5' 11", 175lbs. A pretty regular 42...a 40 sometimes will fit. This jacket has a "fitted" look, but is not too small or uncomfortable. I think it will become my "go to" jacket, even taking priority over my much more expensive (7X) A-2 and G-1.

Yes, sleeve length is to the end of the cuff from the shoulder seam.

Well, durn, as we say down at HOU. Think there was some of that hot Neanderthal action amongst my ancestors in Germania in the late Pleistocene. The modern upshot is that I usually have to shop around for longer sleeve lengths (read: more expensive).

Thanks for the quick update. Enjoy your "find."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy