Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright Pipe Smokers. It's the question that has destroyed countless friendships.

shortbow

Practically Family
Righto Chaps. As a kid (actually still am one, but a bit older) matches were a source of much delight, match guns not the least. But modern matches are nutin' but a frustration. Those old ones lit like a rocket, first time every time.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I use Swan Matches usually, there not safety so are easier to strike, but some of the most recent batches have been terrible. These seem to be the ones in the Centenary box (shame that) in the UK at least.

I've never really got on with a lighter but I can see some of their attraction.

I was thinking yesterday if you could use some form of slow match to light you pipe? Practicalities aside.

Geesie

Practically Family
Nick D said:
I have a Zippo pipe lighter, but I like my grandpa's old Nimrod lighter even though it's bulkier. Still prefer matches, though.

lrg_nimrod.jpg

Nimrod! I had been trying to remember the name of that lighter.
Time to go eBaying for one...

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
CigarMan said:
We still carry Swan Vestas at our shop and it seems that they still work as good as ever, at least the batches we've gotten.

Very glad to hear it.The new batches now seem to be back on form, which is great.

In the mean time I was using "England's Glory" - made in Sweden.

babs

A-List Customer
I had a reeeeeeally slick corona pipe lighter once. I found out though that I had never broken a box of nice wood matches by dropping them though. Can't say that for the lighter. :( In a pinch, I'd use either.. But I haven't sprung for a lighter replacement.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Speaking on this topic.... Does anyone know what happened to the old "Strike Anywhere" matches? I can't find them anywhere in the last few years.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
HighLander-

I found some (6 years ago) at an old style grocery on the poorer side of town and bought probably 10 boxes! I'm down to the last two. IF I find more I'll let you know.

We had a cast Iron Match Box in the kitchen that would fit a box of kitchen matches. I loved that thing. Now its tough to find the strike anywheres!

CH

High Pockets

Practically Family
Wooden matches exclusively, and only after all that chemical crud is burned completely off,....if it's windy outside I've been known to walk a long way to find a quiet spot to light correctly;...twice.:)

:rage: Strike anywhere matches were victims of the safety nazis,....you can still find them if you look, I found some quite easily and bought enough to last for years,....I still have plenty.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Highlander said:
Speaking on this topic.... Does anyone know what happened to the old "Strike Anywhere" matches? I can't find them anywhere in the last few years.

on ebay.com you can buy "strike anywhere" matches.

I do have a question though, what exactly are they? Are they just the sort that will strike against any rough surface, like Swan's or England's Glory in this country?

If so, what are the matches which you can light by crushing the match head, I'm thinking of the type used by the writer Paul from the film "Misery".

High Pockets

Practically Family
I used to do that,.....used to.
Following several incidents involving a still-burning hunk of sulphur under my thumb-nail I decided it wasn't as cool as I thought!:eek:

Edward

Bartender
Usually whatever comes to hand first, but if I had my choice a lighter is so much more convenient in the vast majority of cases.

emigran

Practically Family
Zippo with pipe insert chimney...Smoking over 40 years... probably never used anything else... the sound of that click alone is worth it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner