Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative Methods for Hat Stretching?

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Are there any methods of stretching a hat without using a hat stretcher? I recently purchased a new hat, but it's a bit snug. I don't have a stretcher and would like to avoid sending it out if there is a way that I can do it myself. I only need to stretch it from 7 1/4 to a small 7 3/8.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:
Are there any methods of stretching a hat without using a hat stretcher? I recently purchased a new hat, but it's a bit snug. I don't have a stretcher and would like to avoid sending it out if there is a way that I can do it myself. I only need to stretch it from 7 1/4 to a small 7 3/8.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I would be inclined to just wear it for a while--it may stretch out a bit without your having to do anything else.

Top Hat

New in Town
I have a garment steamer, which I use to gently steam my hats, then I let them dry on my head. I do have a vintage hat stretcher, but I try not to use it very often.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Keep in mind that most home stretching methods only stretch the bottom part of the crown, which can result in a tapered look when viewed from the side. Maybe that doesn't bother you, though. I don't know how to stretch the entire crown without sending it out for a reblock.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Thank you

Thank you for the replies. I only need to stretch the hat a small amount, so some moisture and a gentle knee-stretching sound like they will do the trick. Wearing the hat should take care of the rest.

Thank you again, Gentlemen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner