Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I crazy for not loving my new Aero horsehide jacket?

willyto

One Too Many
I don't like it either and I've handled and tried myself a few when the Grand Theft Aero sale took place. Way too heavy, thick and stiff.

I'll pick goatskin or the medium weight Horween horsehide of my Aero any day but the other stuff is like wearing armor for me. If I ever get the money to buy a Seabiscuit I guess goatskin or Vicenza would be the choice.

Edward

Bartender
A gost seabiscuit is on my wants list. I still love the fqhh, and I also appreciate lighter hides too. I've never weighed any of them, but the only difference I notice is which ones I can wear in warmer weather... S' a big reason as to why I hate Summer.... No leather.

zebedee

One Too Many
No, you are not crazy. When I received my first Aero (a Highwayman) I found it very heavy, suitcase-like and it felt too short. I was highly irritated with it and felt that I'd wasted a lot of money. And then I resigned myself to wearing it and, bit by bit, I started to like it. It showed great variations in colour, really softened up and became a go-to item (whilst demonstrating to me that I had probably not been wearing jeans correctly...). Then, a year or two I ordered a Stockman, then a Long Half Belt and a Cafe Racer, all in different colours. I felt like a fool each time, but each of those jackets is now a beloved item. If you wear it a while, it'll soften up and feel less unwieldy. Other leather jackets you own will feel light and flimsy in comparison... :)

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A gost seabiscuit is on my wants list. I still love the fqhh, and I also appreciate lighter hides too. I've never weighed any of them, but the only difference I notice is which ones I can wear in warmer weather... S' a big reason as to why I hate Summer.... No leather.

You know, I was wondering if there was any scope for a Royale made out of tweed. I think that would look pretty nice.

Edward

Bartender
You know, I was wondering if there was any scope for a Royale made out of tweed. I think that would look pretty nice.

I've seen photos of a Bootlegger made in tweed, and there are of course the wool and leather jackets, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Me, I'd love a Seabiscuit in one of the gabs the old Aero Ricky jackets used to be available in. Leather is always my first love, but there are times when it just is absolutely too hot for it, alas....

BobJ

Practically Family

After reading your post, I went over to the Aero website to check out the Royale, and was IMMEDIATELY struck by how much it looked like you, how I could see you in it, like you were designed for each other. Really, no kidding at all. It's like I knew you in another lifetime and this is the only jacket you ever wore. Weird. I think they should call it: The Sloan.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The P.F. Sloan...hero of mine. RIP
IMG_5089.JPG

Vince in Philly

Familiar Face
I think I just had a change in heart today and am ready to embrace this jacket now. I stopped at the drugstore on my way home from work and walked in wearing black dress pants, a charcoal button down shirt, and my black long half belt. The cute young girl working at the pharmacy counter told me how slick I looked and how she wished guys her age would dress like me. Maybe she was just a JR Cash fan, but it's been a while since a girl 30 years my junior flirted with me.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I just had a change in heart today and am ready to embrace this jacket now. I stopped at the drugstore on my way home from work and walked in wearing black dress pants, a charcoal button down shirt, and my black long half belt. The cute young girl working at the pharmacy counter told me how slick I looked and how she wished guys her age would dress like me. Maybe she was just a JR Cash fan, but it's been a while since a girl 30 years my junior flirted with me.
I had a very similar experience not long ago. I was wearing one of my Vanson's and I wasn't really digging it. That all changed when I got to the coffee shop though, the cute young gal at the counter complemented me on the jacket and told me how nice it looked. In the space of 10 seconds I went from thinking about selling the jacket, to thinking that I should wear it more often!

Peacoat

Bartender
I had a very similar experience not long ago. I was wearing one of my Vanson's and I wasn't really digging it. That all changed when I got to the coffee shop though, the cute young gal at the counter complemented me on the jacket and told me how nice it looked. In the space of 10 seconds I went from thinking about selling the jacket, to thinking that I should wear it more often!
Yes, when the cute young girls start complementing, that changes the attitude and the amount of sun coming through the windows. We are suckers for it every time.

Mark

Practically Family
No, you are not crazy. When I received my first Aero (a Highwayman) I found it very heavy, suitcase-like and it felt too short. I was highly irritated with it and felt that I'd wasted a lot of money. And then I resigned myself to wearing it and, bit by bit, I started to like it. It showed great variations in colour, really softened up and became a go-to item (whilst demonstrating to me that I had probably not been wearing jeans correctly...). Then, a year or two I ordered a Stockman, then a Long Half Belt and a Cafe Racer, all in different colours. I felt like a fool each time, but each of those jackets is now a beloved item. If you wear it a while, it'll soften up and feel less unwieldy. Other leather jackets you own will feel light and flimsy in comparison... :)
When ever some one questions their new/first HFQHH jacket this should be the default/standard reply used. Brilliant and so true.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, when the cute young girls start complementing, that changes the attitude and the amount of sun coming through the windows. We are suckers for it every time.

Hmm, I'm usually less sanguine about such feedback. I would assume that to a young woman I look like an old guy in a leather jacket and the compliment is more likely to be a patronizing morale boost. It makes me less likely to wear the jacket. :eek: Yeah... I'm a glass half empty kind of a guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy