Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American boot alternatives

BigPond

Familiar Face
This thread has got me curious about RM’s.

The comfort craftsman is so slick, will it look out of place worn with a cross zip?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

The comfort craftsman is so slick, will it look out of place worn with a cross zip?

All personal preferences, of course! I am sure most won´t notice anything off if you do, and the rest certainly will not get emotional over that. ;)

I would rather look at the "Gardener" Boot to pair with a rugged jacket. The "Craftman" is indeed a slighty more "classy" boot with a slim silhouette. I do were mine with a suit and tie occasionally.

Either way: I am sure you would be very happy with the boot.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I now have four pair of RM Williams.

Two Comfort Craftsman. One Comfort Turnout and one of the new Goodwood model. The oldest is about 8 years old now.

I wear them all with leather jackets. I do think the black chisel tow would look great with a cross zip.

I have not noticed any decrease in quality and probably have bought one pair every two years since the first. They all have worn extremely well and have perfect stitching And leather. Easily on par with my second favorite brand Crockett and Jones. Well above boots I have or ordered from Allen Edmonds or even Alden.

Fonzie

One Too Many
RM Williams has icon status in Australia, I’m pretty sure not many people here doesn’t know that they’re top quality and a worthy investment.

I don’t know of any American brand with this level of symbol status in the country.
Converse are known for one particular style of shoe, but they’re hardly an icon in terms of quality, craftsmanship and a defined style of a nation.
RMW not only does boots, they’re also known for a particular clothing style. Equivalent in US would be Ralph Lauren or Tommy Hilfiger, or Burberrys in UK.
I'm lucky (?) to live in the city where they’re made and benefit from steep discounts on seasonal offerings at their outlet store, sometimes up to 60-70% off (rarely but it happens), hence my ridiculous amount of boots/shoes/sneakers from them (16 pairs!).

I don’t have many other brands to compare them to but in my opinion, the quality is on par if not better than Red Wing, which I also like very much and have a few pairs (6), but RW are mostly rugged hard wearing boots and RMW goes from dressy to rough and anything in between. I’m a fan.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I now have four pair of RM Williams.

Two Comfort Craftsman. One Comfort Turnout and one of the new Goodwood model. The oldest is about 8 years old now.

I wear them all with leather jackets. I do think the black chisel tow would look great with a cross zip.

I have not noticed any decrease in quality and probably have bought one pair every two years since the first. They all have worn extremely well and have perfect stitching And leather. Easily on par with my second favorite brand Crockett and Jones. Well above boots I have or ordered from Allen Edmonds or even Alden.

I’ll have to check out the Goodwood.

I think the quality drop under European ownership wasn’t so much in the mainline product, rather it was in the newer models not made at RMW’s factory.

I’m glad it was rescued though. There’s no shortage of heritage Anglo-American makers that were hollowed out and killed in all but name through the ownership of European fashion conglomerates.

Fonzie

One Too Many

I think the quality drop under European ownership wasn’t so much in the mainline product, rather it was in the newer models not made at RMW’s factory.

I’m glad it was rescued though. There’s no shortage of heritage Anglo-American makers that were hollowed out and killed in all but name through the ownership of European fashion conglomerates.
The RMW outsourced shoes from Portugal are only the sneaker, chukka and other seasonal stuff.
The main line of classic RMW Chelsea boots are still made in the Adelaide workshop, and quality is still the same as years ago.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The RMW outsourced shoes from Portugal are only the sneaker, chukka and other seasonal stuff.
The main line of classic RMW Chelsea boots are still made in the Adelaide workshop, and quality is still the same as years ago.

That's what I'm saying.

Just noting that if it had stayed under European ownership longer they probably would have killed what was left.

(This happened to Brooks Brothers and others.)

BigPond

Familiar Face
Allen Edmonds plunged years ago to full ahead cash grab status. I haven’t noticed a quality drop in Alden but maybe I’ve had good luck.

Glad to see RM still holds high standards.

After seeing Marc post a photo of a crosszip with loafers my concerns about a stylistic gaff were totally allayed

Fonzie

One Too Many
These are Aussie made RMW.

Attachments

• IMG_5814.jpeg
    IMG_5814.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5803.jpeg
    IMG_5803.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5806.jpeg
    IMG_5806.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5809.jpeg
    IMG_5809.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5808.jpeg
    IMG_5808.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5811.jpeg
    IMG_5811.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5813.jpeg
    IMG_5813.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

RockyR

New in Town
I tend to agree with @Aloysius. Plenty of well made boots/shoes in the US, but none that breathe ‚pride of the nation‘ quite like RMW.

Of course, as has been said, Cowboy or Engineer Boots are quintessentially American, but there is not that one single maker that stands out.

One word of caution: RMW had been sold to LVMH for some years. In that time, quality deteriorated considerably. They are now re-nationalised, with a much broader variety of hides. Sizing has changed and the overall ‚feel‘ is slightly less worthy, but I believe they are back on track now (got a pair from the new maker some two years ago and like it very much).
Yep... and as soon as LVMH took over, the prices went up! That said, I've compared my 'pre Louis' boots with 'post Louis' and they've both held up well.

Now Twiggy has the Conn, it will be interesting to see how quality and price changes (if at all).

RockyR

New in Town

Nope. Depending on colour, they go with basically everything (at least in my experience wearing them everyday for the past decade or so).

They are relatively expensive, but worth every penny (even at RRP).

RM also often run a promotion whereby you can trade in old pairs and receive a credit towards a new pair. The old pairs are recycled or donated. I've only needed to trade in one pair as all my others have been refurbished to new.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
Allen Edmonds plunged years ago to full ahead cash grab status. I haven’t noticed a quality drop in Alden but maybe I’ve had good luck.

Glad to see RM still holds high standards.

After seeing Marc post a photo of a crosszip with loafers my concerns about a stylistic gaff were totally allayed
My last few attempts with AE resulted in about a 50% return rate for such defects as poor stitching, misaligned soles, 1/2 size variance between right and left, broken lace eyelets, etc…

Alden was misaligned soles and bunched leather in the lining . Returned 2 of 3 pairs there but the pir of oxfords I ordered a couple of years ago are immaculate. Hopefully this continues as I still lust after a pair of Indys.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars

The great thing about the Goodwood is the welt construction and traction sole offers more traction should you need to ever be in snow or mud. Colorado winter approved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner