Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An abundance of patterns

LordBest

Practically Family
Hello Ladies, my grandmother recently dug up the following patterns from her cupboards and wardrobes and is hoping to sell them to fund some thing or other (this is not a sales topic). My question is, are they desirable, or indeed, saleable? Some are rather tatty, most of them are from the 60s and 70s but a fair amount date from the 50s as well. A few of the Home Journals are from the 40s and there may even be one or two from the '30s:
Patterns01.jpg

Patterns02.jpg

Patterns03.jpg

Patterns04.jpg

Patterns05.jpg

More pictures will be forthcoming.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Wow! that is alot of patterns. I know that the Australian Home Journal patterns are pretty desireable. I don't know how well 60's & 70's patterns do as I don't buy them. But any complete patterns from the 30's through the 50's have the potential to sell for a high price depending on condition and style.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Most likely they are all sellable, i've seen patterns that weren't complete being sold for 30$ and up from the 60s, not saying i like the practice, but its done.
Some very cute patterns i see in there, hope you let us know more about them :)

palespider

One of the Regulars
yes. wow!

i know for me having the pattern complete is the most important thing when i look and buy but not everyone is the same. Is say the 50s and 60s would sell faster than 70's. Just a little tip or pet peve that i have- when looking for/ at patterns. Post the size/bust number in the topic line. :D

Nashoba

One Too Many
Agreed on the desirable for the earlier patterns. Another tip would be to post the pattern maker in the title line as well. I have a list of specific patterns I'm always searching for and if you can make it easier for your buyer you will be more likely to sell. Awesome collection.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Are they all complete? Are the instructions in tact? Are any of the pieces taped or altered?

Value will depend on how you want to sell them. You wont get much for the 60s and 70s patterns, at all. If you sell them as a lot, you might get an average of 50¢ each, but separately, no more than $4-6 and thats over a loooooooooooooog time.

Selling post 60s patterns is pointless. There are WAY too many out there and no one wants them. 50s patterns can be valuable but it will depend on how long you are willing to sit on them to sell.

The zines are the same thing. Its like collecting anything paper, what is their condition? I see 60s zines all the time, so Id figure those are more likely worth $4-6 each. They look late 50s-60s.

It looks like the meat of the collection is late 50s on. List it on eBay. People are just gaga over lots and you might get a crazy bidder. But selling separately wont be cost effective for you. There just arnt enough worthy patterns in that bunch that youve shown.

LD

LordBest

Practically Family
Thanks for the replies.

My grandmother believes the patterns to be complete, I've no idea myself so I have to take her word for it. The instructions for the Home Journal patterns are in the magazines, though there are some patterns without accompanying magazines. I've not bothered to photograph those, assuming they are worthless. The magazines themselves are in poor to average conditions, with lose covers, pages etc. but the instructions and patterns seem to be intact. There were one or two that had been altered, I've put them aside assuming they would be of little use.
The individual patterns (Butterick etc) are still sealed in their little paper packets, a bit squashed and some a little torn but again grandmother believes the paper patterns inside to be intact.
The bulk of the Home Journals date from mid 50s to mid 60s, with '60-'64 being the most complete years. Pictures of some on the way.

There is also a 1941 'Knitting for the Services' booklet which is entirely intact and in rather good condition, and a '50s or 60's Fair Isle knitting book.

I rather assumed the 70s patterns would be of little value, no surprise there.

KnittingfortheServicesViyella1941.jpg

LordBest

Practically Family
As much as that? I thought perhaps $5.

Here are the two Home Journals in the worst state of preservation, covers detached/damaged/missing etc. The interior of the magazines are both intact, however, and both patterns and instructions present.
October 1955, covers gone, pattern details pictures.
October1955.jpg

July 1953, cover detached and damaged.
July1953.jpg

Lady Day said:
Knitting and crochet patterns are pretty common as well.

$10 at the most, perhaps.

LD

LordBest

Practically Family

lareine

A-List Customer
I love the magazines! You should list them on TradeMe -- I'd certainly be interested in poking through them :)

A few weeks ago I picked up a 1956 Home Journal in great condition, including the unused pattern. Reading through it is quite fascinating. I was highly amused/shocked by the letters column, in particular where one lady wrote in that she had taken a part-time job to supplement her husband's income so that their son could go to a good school. Her husband's nose was apparently somewhat out of joint about this. The advice to her was to put her wages into a joint account so that her husband could still handle all the money matters himself, and tell her friends that she only went back to work because she was bored!

LordBest

Practically Family
At this point I will most likely list on eBay, it won't be for a week or two as I want to get all the other patterns photographed and catalogued first. This will take longer than it should as I spend half my week on campus and away from the patterns.

HepKitty

One Too Many
LordBest said:
At this point I will most likely list on eBay, it won't be for a week or two as I want to get all the other patterns photographed and catalogued first. This will take longer than it should as I spend half my week on campus and away from the patterns.

I'm drooling!

let us know the details when you list them, ok? thank you

swinggal

One Too Many
Australian Home Journal mags are awesome. I have many 30s and 40s ones at home and you always got 2 to 3 FREE patterns included. The Tissue paper patterns were slotted inside the pages of the mag and whatever is on the cover is what you get as a pattern.

So, the Home Journals are not just magazines. There were a bit special. I've seen even the 60s ones going for up to $10 in good condition at antique fairs here in Perth. But yep, you really do need someone to go through and make sure all the pieces are there in each one to sell them for a higher price. If there a piece missing you need to state that as well.

If I lived your way I would gladly sort through them all for you :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran