Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Akubra Bushman Question!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
...I need to shape the one I'm going to keep and start wearing it, speaking of which!

Thanks, Daoud, for the thread and thanks to DMc for the info.

I've got my line out for one of these older Bushmans.

Tone

A-List Customer
That vintage Bushman with the eyelets is Akubra's currently named Akubra "Mexican". Anybody who finds this style appealing can still get it today. Of course, the band won't say 'Bushman'. lol

But, if that older version is just absolutely a stylish "must have"...
Can still have it - without messing up the current Bushman in the process. :)

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, sorta but not exactly. The Bushman in question has a brim measuring 80mm, while the Mexican's is 92mm. Also the crown height of the Bushman is 5 1/4 inches, or about 134mm, while the Mexican's crown is 4 3/4inches, or 122mm màs o menos - these measurements for the Mexican I cannot verify personally, as I do not have one in front of me, but they are the figures I've found on a couple of different websites.

Also, I've not run across any info on whether or not the Mexican is lined, and what type of felt it is made from.

And, at least one retailer is offering a free chinstrap with the purchase of a Mexican (the HAT, of course...) which would lead one to believe that it has chinstrap hooks, which these old Bushmen do not.

To sum up, we have here two completely different hats- similar, yes- but certainly not identical.

Tone

A-List Customer
Yeah, some vendors list the Squatter as a 4 1/2" crown, too (Google the Squatter and see the different numbers come up on various sites.) Seems that number depends on where they're basing the measurement from. Often times you'll get the post-styled measurement of the creased hat rather than the actual open-crown measurement of the hat's unstlyed height - which - can churn out various crown heights when done well. A few Akubras are listed this way (can really drive Akubra fans nuts.)

Side note: How do those two Bushman hats look next to one of your Slouches when all three crowns are open? Is the one really that much shorter?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I always suspected as much about crown measurements- but I figure the only way to get any meaningful measurement is to measure with the crown open all the way. I measured what I figure is my newest slouch( in case any of the older ones had shrunk a bit) and its crown is right at six inches.

DBA MD DLFAPA1948

New in Town
The wide-ribboned hat certainly SEEMS to be older. Actually, it is not the one that was recently on eBay.....in fact that's one of the reasons I was wondering about all this- I just bought that one as well, and got it today, and it looks brand-new. Seriously. If it's old, it has been very well-stored. I will be putting it up for sale on eBay next week- too bad it's a bit small for you. The pictured hats are a 59 and 60. The Bushman is my favorite Akubra.....it's really a versatile hat, although the model with the eyelets is a bit more "country" than the other. Brim's a good width on these hats- wide but not TOO wide. It's too bad they're so hard to find- apparently David Morgan and Bluewater are the only folks who carry the Bushman. Yates Menswear in Oz have the Bushman on their website, but I never had any luck communicating with them. I think they can be ordered from the factory through Hatsdirect and perhaps EA if you don't mind a three month wait.

DBA MD DLFAPA1948

New in Town
Yeah, some vendors list the Squatter as a 4 1/2" crown, too (Google the Squatter and see the different numbers come up on various sites.) Seems that number depends on where they're basing the measurement from. Often times you'll get the post-styled measurement of the creased hat rather than the actual open-crown measurement of the hat's unstlyed height - which - can churn out various crown heights when done well. A few Akubras are listed this way (can really drive Akubra fans nuts.)

Side note: How do those two Bushman hats look next to one of your Slouches when all three crowns are open? Is the one really that much shorter?

DBA MD DLFAPA1948

New in Town
Hatwrks in Nashville carried the Bushman.I purchased and blocked the one in sand. It is darker than in the ad. They have four colors and are more expensive than David Morgan or JJHats but they do have inventory. Hope this helps.
Best wishes to all for a safe and healthy 2021!

Hatwrks in Nashville carried the Bushman.I purchased and blocked the one in sand. It is darker than in the ad. They have four colors and are more expensive than David Morgan or JJHats but they do have inventory. Hope this helps.
Best wishes to all for a safe and healthy 2021!

No harm done, but this thread is 11 years old and the two members you’re responding to were last here 9 years ago. Just FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy