Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Exquisite But Unwearable Vintage Suit

Warbaby

One Too Many
This Edwardian black velvet Court Suit just closed on eBay for GBP 311 (too small for me and too rich for my pocketbook):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140306820217 (Also worth a visit for his excellent description of British Court Dress.)

Interesting concept to have something that beautiful that you can't really wear anywhere. Or can you?

court1.jpg

court2.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That is superbly preserved.

My father, born in 1914, once told me how when he and his brother were about six and seven years old his single father moved the three of them from Detroit to Orlando, Florida. Back then, Orlando was a swampy southern backwater. "Highway" 441 was two dirt ruts running through the overgrowth.

So, his father sends the boys to their first day of school wearing velvet suits like the one you pictured. The local barefooted, bib overall wearing country boys at school beat the tar out of 'em and held them and soaked them with water from the outdoor hand pump.

After that, my pop dressed more 'appropriately' and he kept his metal lunchbox packed full of hard, green oranges to use as a bludgeon. After the first time he 'shared' his lunch with some bully, they picked on him no more.

HarpPlayerGene said:
So, his father sends the boys to their first day of school wearing velvet suits like the one you pictured. The local barefooted, bib overall wearing country boys at school beat the tar out of 'em and held them and soaked them with water from the outdoor hand pump.

Hopefully the teacher swiftly cut a switch for use on the vandalous, destructive little turds. God i hate kids. Useless brats, every one of 'em.

bk

BrewCrew

New in Town
The first thing that springs to mind is a costume party. Every year on New Years Eve some friends of mine have a "Dress to the Nines" party, and non-contemporary clothing is encouraged. I just wear my best suit with the trimmings (cufflinks, etc.), but man I would like to be able to show up in something like that.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Warbaby said:
Interesting concept to have something that beautiful that you can't really wear anywhere. Or can you?
court1.jpg

I'd wear it to work! :D

The novelty of my bow ties, fedoras, pocket squares, and suspenders has worn off for most of my co-workers, and this would certainly be an upgrade.

Mind you, I never wore any of the former for their "shock value".

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Macheath said:
I'd wear it to work! :D

The novelty of my bow ties, fedoras, pocket squares, and suspenders has worn off for most of my co-workers, and this would certainly be an upgrade.

Mind you, I never wore any of the former for their "shock value".

Of course and having lived the FL dream you want to up the ante?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
God i hate kids. Useless brats, every one of 'em.
Very :eek:fftopic: so sorry. Not every one of them though, my little brother (younger than ten) has taken to wearing vintage inspired clothes at smart occaisions from me. He likes to wear the DB blazer with waistcoat and tie which I used to own when I was his age. Just shows that not all kids are useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy