Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Interview with Field Leathers

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I recently did an interview with Field Leathers on my own blog/website. I don't own anything from Greg yet, but I have been impressed by the jackets that he has been making. They always seem to fit his clients well and the quality of the work appears to be exceptional. Interviewing him was fun and he offered a lot of unique insight that I thought was worth sharing.

https://almostvintagestyle.com/2020/11/15/field-leathers-interview/

I also wanted to thank the members here who allowed their pictures to be used for the interview. Greg said that he asked everyone permission and everyone that he asked said yes. Thanks to everyone for that! I believe that I properly credited everyone, but please let me know if I did not and I will fix that immediately.

diabel

Familiar Face
I recently did an interview with Field Leathers on my own blog/website. I don't own anything from Greg yet, but I have been impressed by the jackets that he has been making. They always seem to fit his clients well and the quality of the work appears to be exceptional. Interviewing him was fun and he offered a lot of unique insight that I thought was worth sharing.

https://almostvintagestyle.com/2020/11/15/field-leathers-interview/

I also wanted to thank the members here who allowed their pictures to be used for the interview. Greg said that he asked everyone permission and everyone that he asked said yes. Thanks to everyone for that! I believe that I properly credited everyone, but please let me know if I did not and I will fix that immediately.

Very interesting and informative interview! Small world with regards to the fact that Greg was about ready to go to work for JC in Seattle.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dude,
Thanks for sharing, what a cool interview!
I have been a fan of Greg and Field Leathers since he was introduced to us here. Reading your detailed interview only reinforces the fact. Seems like he is 100% into what he does and I love to see that level of passion.

North_Star

One of the Regulars
I have nothing but good to say about Greg. I vouch for the guy 100%. His customer service is the best there is, and because he does everything from cutting, sewing to messaging he can say straight if something is possible or not.

dannyk

One Too Many
I have nothing but good to say about Greg. I vouch for the guy 100%. His customer service is the best there is, and because he does everything from cutting, sewing to messaging he can say straight if something is possible or not.
Read this very quickly and thought I read "I have nothing good to say.." Was thinking hmm thats an interesting take since everyone else loves the guy haha.

It’s great to read these interviews as they help complete the picture...jackets are only part of the deal for me when I look for a custom jacket. Maybe it comes from my profession, but I’m always trying to pair the project with the right maker. Greg seems passionate and dedicated- I really appreciate the part where he explained his aesthetics and design goals. I think he if off to a great start!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Loved reading this. I will be looking into this company, maker, and his products soon. Neat to see somone so passionate!

Not to mention - he started as the world rolled over into Covid-19 reality - talk about timing - so he deserves and additonal round of applause for hanging in there through some very difficult times.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it comes from my profession, but I’m always trying to pair the project with the right maker.
I was thinking about that the other day when I was looking to buy a new custom halfbelt. I could buy one from Aero; BK; Thedi; FL; Simmons Bilt; 5* or any of the other custom jacket makers. Each of these well known makers offer something unique in one way or the other (apart from Simmons built imo, they basically do what Aero does). What makes FL's offering unique? (In my opinion)

-Best value for money in the high end segment
-Best customer experience/service in any segment
-Only full custom (custom design; custom pattern) maker in the high end segment

I'm still in debate whether or not FL's designs are unique. Thedi also offers slim cut jackets with narrow sleeves and high armholes. But Thedi's designs are obviously more pronounced. Maybe it's the combination of a classic design with a modern/slimfit cut what makes FL's style unique.

note: I try to be objective in my observations but it could be that I'm slightly biased because of my own experiences with FL, which were nothing but great.

Edward

Bartender
What Field Leathers bring to the higher end market - and why I think there is a good change Gregg's business will last while others struggle and fall or have fallen, is that he is offering something unique in that he is doing the full bespoke thing. It's a limited market for people who have that kind of money to spend and something very specific they want cut fully bespoke for them, but it's an ideal market for a small, bespoke company. A clever business move - certainly a much better idea than just going up against the established companies to offer something to the same market.

Which is not to say that otr or made to measure is at all a bad thing - it's always worked for me - but it's definitely a different market FL has identified, and good luck to them with it. If the photos are anything to go by, the product is a credit both to the training Gregg got at Aero and his capability to learn. On that front, much respect also to Gregg for being open about his learning disability which led to him struggling academically (fortunately these things are generally better dealt with for kids at school now). Hopefully there's a kid out there who struggles in the same way and yet sees what someone else with the same issues has achieved, and will be inspired by it with their own passions.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Another vote for Greg. I'm about a month away of having my grail jacket delivered, a J100 inspired racer. We must have exchanged at least 20 emails on sizing and bespoke options. I have total confidence he will nail it. And more importantly, you can tell he's a genuine good person. Fortune should go to the bold and you got to respect what's he's trying in these crazy times.

I'm planning a 2nd jacket, was waiting to get the first to confirm the specs and all that, but I'm glad to see he has some new models coming out. I was thinking an Indian Ranger inspired jacket, but I may change that up as I got real lucky on Ebay and picked up a really nice cross zip for a couple hundred bucks. I think once he's able to offer more leather colors and types, it will open a lot more possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ