Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An introduction and request for advise

carldelo

One Too Many
Esov said:
carldelo: After looking around for more information on the Stylemaster, I decided to follow your advise and just ordered one in Steel Grey from HD. It does seem to be an intermediate next step.

Thanks to everyone who replied for all the recommendations. I'll post photos again wearing the Stylemaster to see what you think.

Sounds good - I hope it works out, as I don't want to hand anyone a bum steer. It's a well-liked hat around here, though, so I bet you'll be OK. I've found a change in hat style takes a little while to get used to. Ironically, I won't get my Stylemaster until May, so am looking forward to your impressions of it when it arrives.

Goose.

Practically Family
OK Lid Brothers...

For this Mr. Potato Head (me) and pics as for the OP to discen.
Akubra Hampton size 60.

Brim:

A> down
B> up
C> "none of the above", don't wear short brims Goose.

492019901_BaHjZ-S-1.jpg
492022682_YKTVk-S-1.jpg

Esov

New in Town
carldelo: No worries, I think it's good advise even if it turns out that it doesn't work for me. There's no free lunch, so I'm trying the Stylemaster to see if I like it.

Goose.: I had read about your Hampton before posting. Good to know that you decided to order the Akubra Homburg, since I'm interested in that one as well. Please post pictures wearing it if you can. As for Wil Tam's advise, I'd like to be able to do that; not much sense in spending money on hats that may not suit me. However, without trying enough hats it will be difficult to find that "inner style". Unfortunately, most of the time I don't have a reasonably accessible place to try on quality hats, so I figure that if it turns out that I dislike a hat bought sight unseen I would be able to sell it at a moderate loss. I'd be fine doing that until I settle on what suits me better. Luckily, I'm happy enough with the Hampton and I'm keeping it.

As for your photo, I vote "A", brim down. But, what do I know? I just came here with a similar face and an identical hat requesting everyone's advise...

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Look.... go on Ebay and do a search to see if you find anything that you might want to try on ... then just bid on it making your cut-off point @ 45 - 50 dollars [huh] ... that's what I did when I started ... what you are trying to do is find a color and style of hat that suits you best.

----------------
Now playing: Duke Ellington - Delta Serenade - Take 1
via FoxyTunes

Esov

New in Town
Wil Tam said:
also in 60 days the fed iv & deluxe will be available in BLACK according to Ron from HD when I asked him ... so you may want to hold off on a major purchase for a couple of months, if you have your heart set on a ebony lid ;)

I may try the eBay route, that's certainly a possibility. Thanks for the information on the black Federations. I should get the Stylemaster this week, but will keep that as an option in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats