Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anatomy of a suit...

Grimstar

Familiar Face
wackyvorlon, as far as resorces for learning the trade, there are two ways to go about it, if you don't have an actual person to show you. The first is reading. "Classic Tailoring Techniques" by Roberto Cabrera is one of the best books that I've found. There are one or two small errors or omissions in it, but in general it's a very good detailed view of the actual sewing side of tailoring. It would be nice if it had more real photo's, though. The other way of learning some of it is to go to the local thrift/charity shop, find a suit that once *was* good quality (never mind the size, it doesn't matter for this) and take it apart carefully...nothing like actually seeing how something is put together. (Please don't take apart a really nice vintage suit that is still in good shape...find one that's a candidate for the rag bin) Other than that, I'd say one of the best ways to get hands on experience would be to take a job in an alterations shop...you'll get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly, that way. lol And as far as the cutting side of tailoring, that's a bit more tricky. I have yet to find any generally available modern book that details cutting menswear. However, some of the books from the turn of the century (the last century, now, that is :p ) are available as reprints, and the systems in them work, once you figure out how to alter them for the style that you're after. Other than that, practice, practice, practice...it's the only way.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Grimstar said:
I have thought about a thread to document the creation of a suit from beginning to end...what do you guys think?

Post it!

Gotta love custom. A pleasure, as well, to see you making the suit for yourself. I am so glad I am not a cobbler as my wife and daughter would not have shoes. Too busy making everybody else's, you know.

So, I, with the rest of the boys, will look forward to your thread.

Cab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925