Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ-4

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
@thedebonair: I own a LW ANJ4. I would advise considering your climate. In some ways, it can be too warm. As others already said, it really is overbuilt. That's not a bad thing, but for the price, you want to make sure you can enjoy it a little bit. I was advised by Stuart to get a 44L (48' chest, and I have a 43" chest), which I did, but it kind of feels like I am swimming in the thing. I've been told and read elsewhere that the jacket is intended to be a bit loose so it can be layered underneath, but considering how warm this jacket is, unless you're like Miles and living in Norway, you probably won't be anywhere cold enough where having all that room for layers will be needed in an already warm jacket. So it may help to consider how you want the jacket to fit and where you'll be using it before pulling the trigger. I don't regret getting my jacket, but I would probably opt for a more trimmer look in hindsight.

@Milesdeathescape: I was looking into a Mulholland by Freewheelers, but opted for a Centinela instead. I really dig that one-piece back. Such a cool looking jacket, but I guess I just liked the rocketeer look of the Centinela a little more. If I may ask, did you deal with Freewheelers directly? Or did you buy elsewhere?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Mine is a 38. I wear 36 in pretty much everything else.
Climate is a good point. Deb where do you reside? In Chicago I can get Dec/Jan/Feb out in it.

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
@thedebonair: I own a LW ANJ4. I would advise considering your climate. In some ways, it can be too warm. As others already said, it really is overbuilt. That's not a bad thing, but for the price, you want to make sure you can enjoy it a little bit. I was advised by Stuart to get a 44L (48' chest, and I have a 43" chest), which I did, but it kind of feels like I am swimming in the thing. I've been told and read elsewhere that the jacket is intended to be a bit loose so it can be layered underneath, but considering how warm this jacket is, unless you're like Miles and living in Norway, you probably won't be anywhere cold enough where having all that room for layers will be needed in an already warm jacket. So it may help to consider how you want the jacket to fit and where you'll be using it before pulling the trigger. I don't regret getting my jacket, but I would probably opt for a more trimmer look in hindsight.
Thanks for the reply. Winters do tend to get quite cold up here from november to february-march, so I'll definitely get a lot of wear out of it. I intend to get the trim look, layering with such a beast of a jacket isn't a necessity for me:) Also, as other members already told me, I can adjust the side trims, wear the jacket open,... to regulate the temperature.

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
No problem. Winters in South Korea are, in many ways, not cold enough for me to use this jacket. This would have been a perfect jacket for winter when I was living in Wisconsin with minus 20 F wind-chills, but in Seoul, I often walk around in sub 30 F temps with the jacket unzipped because I'm always so warm. I guess a good problem to have? But the side trims are, indeed, adjustable.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Winters do tend to get quite cold up here from november to february-march
I do live quite close to you (Zuid Holland). Even with the last years heavy winter here my Aero B3 saw only a limited period of use. I am actually thinking of letting it go and get myself a B6 or a D1.
If the Belgian winter is similar to the Dutch one then I am afraid that an ANJ4 won't be that useful.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've also heard about it but haven't found the model on their site, only the normal ANJ-4. The poughkeepsie should be classified under original maker no?

Correct, don't think it's officially released yet..would love one if I didn't have the D-1 :)

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars

@Milesdeathescape: I was looking into a Mulholland by Freewheelers, but opted for a Centinela instead. I really dig that one-piece back. Such a cool looking jacket, but I guess I just liked the rocketeer look of the Centinela a little more. If I may ask, did you deal with Freewheelers directly? Or did you buy elsewhere?

Hey we should definitely be caught in public together sometime! Really cool that you have the same lineup. I dealt with Speedway Sendai and I was incredibly nervous about my size but it’s actually a pretty nice fit. If I went up a size I would be swimming. I have a pretty average body type so I would suggest that if you have places sticking out, it’s best to let Stuart know. My anj4 is a bit long in the sleeves but I roll the cuffs anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camaro1967

One of the Regulars
Hey we should definitely be caught in public together sometime! Really cool that you have the same lineup. I dealt with Speedway Sendai and I was incredibly nervous about my size but it’s actually a pretty nice fit. If I went up a size I would be swimming. I have a pretty average body type so I would suggest that if you have places sticking out, it’s best to let Stuart know. My anj4 is a bit long in the sleeves but I roll the cuffs anyways.

If you ever swing on by to South Korea, for sure, dude. I'd love to go to Norway, but just can't any time soon. But my family is originally from Senja if you ever want to visit a gorgeous desolate paradise.

Speaking of desolate... I was nervous about the sizing, too, but I walked into Desolation Row and tried some jackets on. For the amount of money involved, I made sure what I got actually fit right. Turns out, not many jackets available in my size (44), but what they had was actually exactly what I wanted anyway.

With my ANJ4, I made the mistake of doing the sizing based on my J100, so I had the sleeves ordered a little longer thinking they would eventually crease and shorten. They do a little, but that sheepskin is some rigid stuff, it takes a lot of effort to get it to break in. The cut and the way the jacket fits didn't quite work out the same way as I had imagined either. I should have asked Stuart to keep it on the trimmer side, but I'm still happy with the result.

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
If you ever swing on by to South Korea, for sure, dude. I'd love to go to Norway, but just can't any time soon. But my family is originally from Senja if you ever want to visit a gorgeous desolate paradise.

Speaking of desolate... I was nervous about the sizing, too, but I walked into Desolation Row and tried some jackets on. For the amount of money involved, I made sure what I got actually fit right. Turns out, not many jackets available in my size (44), but what they had was actually exactly what I wanted anyway.

With my ANJ4, I made the mistake of doing the sizing based on my J100, so I had the sleeves ordered a little longer thinking they would eventually crease and shorten. They do a little, but that sheepskin is some rigid stuff, it takes a lot of effort to get it to break in. The cut and the way the jacket fits didn't quite work out the same way as I had imagined either. I should have asked Stuart to keep it on the trimmer side, but I'm still happy with the result.

Thanks for your invite! I found breaking the ANJ4 arms was the hardest. If you have a dog to walk,hang the leash around your neck and hold it with your hands in an upward position while you walk.

Stand By

One Too Many
I live in Belgium, I do hope I'll get a lot of wear out of it and wear it for most of the winter. Is an ANJ-4 truly that warm? Even in temperatures of 4-5 C°? Sadly not a single manufacturer makes one with a 1/4" fleece. But then again, that wouldn't be historically accurate.

My personal feeling is that the LW ANJ-4 will be too heavy and toasty for Belgium. If you lived in Nebraska or Alberta or even NY, I’d say go for it, but I think Belgium is a mite too temperate for that jacket. I understand it’s appeal, but it’s too much jacket IMO and I fear it will be as Sloan says and yours will spend most of its time on a hangar. You may well end up selling it and that’d be a shame.
An ELC ANJ-4 is lighter in construction and will be lighter on your shoulders and it ticks the appearance box you’re after and you’d get better mileage with that, I think.
But as John Lever suggests, you could ask Aero to make one in a trimmed fleece, so that’s another maker to add to your initial shortlist of two to consider.
My personal advice would be to reconsider the ANJ-4 and think about a B-6 or D-1. Mine gets a lot of wear out here in Canada - as yes, it gets really cold of course, but when commuting, the car warms up after a few mins or you’re outside and it’s bloody cold, but then you’re in a mall or on a subway or in a shop or a pub - and you aren’t being cooked. Plus you can layer with a B-6/D-1 (I have an ELC C-3 that goes under my ELC RW B-6) and have two warm hand pockets instead of one pouch.
By spending less, you may very well find that you get to wear your jacket more and in turn get more bang for your buck. Or Euro.
Best of luck whichever you decide!

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
^funny point. When wearing the Anj in the car during winter i typically leave the heat off.
Jon what is the length of LW anj shearling? I had considered a B-6 for more mileage but can’t get past the cuffs.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As 'Stand By' sayes, my D-1 (ELC) replaced my Irvin to ensure the jacket got mileage put on it. I've got an RAF jumper to layer under it & am about to get a C-3 vest as another layer option (and to wear on it's own like a gilet). D-1 coped with the 'Beast from the East'

Resized_20180301_175700 (1).jpeg

mihai

A-List Customer
I live in Belgium, I do hope I'll get a lot of wear out of it and wear it for most of the winter. Is an ANJ-4 truly that warm? Even in temperatures of 4-5 C°? Sadly not a single manufacturer makes one with a 1/4" fleece. But then again, that wouldn't be historically accurate.

Bonsoir,

I live nearby(Lux). I have both EMLC and LW ANJ-4 in size 44. LW is too warm for 4-5 C°. EMLC would work at the limit.
EMLC is lighter, more comfortable def the most wearable. LW looks better, is more robust, really a masterpiece. This is one of the reasons I still keep it. Also EMLC is slightly trimmer than the LW.
If you need further details do not hesitate.

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
Bonsoir,

I live nearby(Lux). I have both EMLC and LW ANJ-4 in size 44. LW is too warm for 4-5 C°. EMLC would work at the limit.
EMLC is lighter, more comfortable def the most wearable. LW looks better, is more robust, really a masterpiece. This is one of the reasons I still keep it. Also EMLC is slightly trimmer than the LW.
If you need further details do not hesitate.

30f7657beda81644ad171389da8bebec.png

Chris7273

One of the Regulars

Hello
I am in Belgium too. Last year I bought a used but nearly new ANJ4 jacket from Lost Worlds and it's amazing. I have been able to wear it a few days (waiting 10 minutes at 07:00 AM for the train on a windy platform makes this jacket invaluable).
I wore it in Scotland in February (snow and bad weather on Skye and in the Cairngorms).

I would say that below 5°C it's OK if you don't have to run ;-)
It's maybe too warm for the relatively soft last winters but you never know when a cycle of bad winters is coming... "Winter is coming" :) be prepared :)

Be ready to be looked at, the collar is very very big. It's also quite bulky, but not too heavy compared to other classic leather jacket (barnstormer, ...)
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have other questions (FR / EN and a bit of NL)
regards
Christophe

Last edited:

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
Hello
I am in Belgium too. Last year I bought a used but nearly new ANJ4 jacket from Lost Worlds and it's amazing. I have been able to wear it a few days (waiting 10 minutes at 07:00 AM for the train on a windy platform makes this jacket invaluable).
I wore it in Scotland in February (snow and bad weather on Skye and in the Cairngorms).

I would say that below 5°C it's OK if you don't have to run ;-)
It's maybe too warm for the relatively soft last winters but you never know when a cycle of bad winters is coming... "Winter is coming" :) be prepared :)

Be ready to be looked at, the collar is very very big. It's also quite bulky, but not too heavy compared to other classic leather jacket (barnstormer, ...)
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have other questions (FR / EN and a bit of NL)
regards
Christophe

Awesome. My experience standing in the cold for the train is the same in Norway. I find that the collar can be styled to look big or a bit smaller whilst it’s zipped all the way up. People can’t even believe what they are looking at when they see me. I call it the Drone Glare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW