Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another ebay rip off!!

android

One of the Regulars
It's called fee avoidance and it's a violation of eBay policy. Shipping is not caculated in the final percentage that the seller must pay to eBay, so some sellers get the idea they can charge an outrageous fee for shipping and only pay final value fees on the bid.

db5zx

Familiar Face
Have you noticed where the guy is located? He's from Belgium, Europe. And Shipping is pretty darn expensive between Europe and the US. I paid well over 50 bucks on a lot of occasions... If you want it cheaper, you might want to buy inside the United States or Canada...

...Jens

P.S.: The fact that he's from Belgium might also explain his less-than-perfect English...

IndyBlues

New in Town
Weird. It says the Item location is Brooklyn, New York. I'd have to say it was a little deceiving, if you ask me. Besides, if he is from Belgium, than why only sell to the US??
'Blues

db5zx

Familiar Face
Yeah, you're right. The location says "Brooklyn", although on the side it says Member since Nov-04-04 in Belgium, meaning that he registered in Belgium... really weird...

...Jens

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
Check this out, seller claims it's a fur felt hat, starts sale a 1 penny sucking people in to bid before they notice the shipping is $69.00!!!! Buyer beware of this clown.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52369&item=8181919025&rd=1

fedoralover

My email to bidders!!

Hello, I have no dog in this hunt but I would retract your bid. The shipping is a rip off. Overseas sellers low feedback. I hate to see a scam and I think this one is. He also is breaking Ebay rules they charge on sales price. Not shipping. I have sent a email to ebay on this.
Best regards,

Roger

Ebay sent this to me.

Report a listing policy violation or prohibited (banned) item > Listing policy violations (improper keywords, outside links, etc) > Avoided eBay fees in a listing (offered direct sales, high shipping costs, etc.)

Item Number(s):

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I sell on eBay- I'm in Denmark and I've sent leather coats and flight jackets to the 'Sates many a time and this guy's charges are c razy stupid.
I always offer the cheapest airmail service- upgradable to the buyers wishes. I've never needed to charge more than around $50 for a heavy item- and this is just a hat- not very heavy...
I've even negotiated my own shipping charge down and swallowed some of it so that it's more attractive to international buyers-
Maybe he's factored in insurance for ?$$?- some people insist on using insured carriage for international shipping in order to be able to prove delivery and/or claim for losses. But a rip-off anyway.
It's only a hat!

BT.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Its a scam

BellyTank said:
I sell on eBay- I'm in Denmark and I've sent leather coats and flight jackets to the 'Sates many a time and this guy's charges are c razy stupid.
I always offer the cheapest airmail service- upgradable to the buyers wishes. I've never needed to charge more than around $50 for a heavy item- and this is just a hat- not very heavy...
I've even negotiated my own shipping charge down and swallowed some of it so that it's more attractive to international buyers-
Maybe he's factored in insurance for ?$$?- some people insist on using insured carriage for international shipping in order to be able to prove delivery and/or claim for losses. But a rip-off anyway.
It's only a hat!

BT.
Weight 4oz. I hate a liar he is a POS. We see this scam on another knife site all the time and we go after them.

Ebay sent form email to me.
Report a listing policy violation or prohibited (banned) item > Listing policy violations (improper keywords, outside links, etc) > Avoided eBay fees in a listing (offered direct sales, high shipping costs, etc.)

Item Number(s):

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
First of all, I've paid 16.00 to have a hat shipped from Katoomba Austrailia to Oregon. I e-mailed the seller and told him his shipping was a rip off, he e-mailed me back and said he could sell me the hat out right for 75.00. I answered and said I wouldn't give him 75 cents for the piece of garbage.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I see ebay caught up to this schister, the item has been removed from ebay's listing. Although that didn't stop him from e-mailing me again to try and sell me his hats.

fedoralover

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Fedora police at work

fedoralover said:
I see ebay caught up to this schister, the item has been removed from ebay's listing. Although that didn't stop him from e-mailing me again to try and sell me his hats.

fedoralover
I sent ebay 3 copies of there own rules. I sent him a email and told him he had been turned into ebay and each bidder had been warned. I got the one finger in the air back from LMFAO.
He is history but he'll try it again they always do. :cheers1:

android

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Geez, remind me never to get any of you guys mad. :p

Regards to all,

J

Just keep your shipping a little less than $69.00 and you'll be alright! :cool:

fedoralover said:
It doesn't bother me to stick my foot out to trip up a crook. That seller was definitely a crook.

I agree with you and it shouldn't bother you a bit. I hope it didn't appear that I was sticking up for this crook. :p It was more a comment on your tenacity to actually take this guy on and stop him. Many people would not go out of their way to thrown water on a person who is on fire. :kick:
The way I see it, all of you did a service to buyers, sellers and eBay as a whole by exposing that nitwit. He gives a bad name to business in general if he cannot play by the rules.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace