Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another reason why wearing a Fedora RULES!

ledsled

One of the Regulars
great ideas & great sentiments

Thanks for the suggestions & the kind wishes. When I wrote it, I wondered if I should press the "submit message" button, but now I am glad I did. You are all good guys! I'll have to keep you informed about my job prospects AND about the hat-sizing. I can see him looking snappy in a short brim. If I don't get him measured this week, then I won't be able to until the beginning of July. Stay tuned! :)

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
What Price Now ??

Here's a great old ad for Mallory hats I found by Googling the name. Anyone have any of the hats in the ad ? And does anyone have or know anything of the Mallory 'Eagle'

cordrey_mallory_c28feb42.jpg

Strider

One of the Regulars
Jake Sullivan said:
But my wife still thinks I am a dork.... oh well such is life.

I get that a lot with my girlfriend, too! You know what, though ... when we are out, and she catches another girl checking me out in some sharp duds, she immediately grabs my arm and gives me a kiss on the cheek. lol ;)

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Sharp Dresser Gets The Dame

I have to guess, right ? Ok, it's the kind of ad Mallory would be running now were they still in business, only the caption is missing ! How about : "Get yourself a Mallory hat - they're real head turners !"

Seriously though, it's a great photo - you really stand out among all the present day 'casualness'

shortbrim

New in Town
A LA MODE

As per all the people wearing their baseball caps backwards I have decided to wear my fedora backwards also. It's the cool look. Finally, the pants, shoes, shirts, and shoes will go on backwards also. I'm sure it will be a great hit.

Magus

Practically Family
shortbrim said:
As per all the people wearing their baseball caps backwards I have decided to wear my fedora backwards also. It's the cool look. Finally, the pants, shoes, shirts, and shoes will go on backwards also. I'm sure it will be a great hit.

UNFORTUNATLY its been done already...at least in "rap" wear search up Kris Kross for a giggle

FedoraGent

One Too Many
There are definite benefits...

I hang out in San Francisco after work all the time, and one thing that I've noticed is that while the modern dressed man sports his Gucci and all that rot...the women still notice and recognize the style and class that hats bring. On many an occasion I've had the pleasure of women stop me to tell me that they love my hat. I wear a hat EVERY day no matter what. And I'm always wearing a suit, braces, silk tie and make sure that I'm dressed to the nines. Yes cats, the kittens notice and it's a B-E-A-U-T-I-Ful thing.

Grins,

Jon

LeeB

Familiar Face
Too true

I have been wearing fedoras for a good number of years. In general, I've gotten the old "Indy Jones" comments from guys, with the occasional nice hat thrown in. But, ladies are a different story. In almost every instance, the response from women has ranged from the shy smile to the "I love that hat."

The other factor that makes wearing a fedora great is that I feel like more of a gentleman when I'm wearing them. Maybe it's a subconscious desire to not tarnish the institution of hat wearing men.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I've been in the shadows for a couple of months now, but have yet to post (other than an introduction in the "Screen Names" thread). This thread, along with many others grabbed my attention.

LeeB's post sounds like he's been walking around in my shoes, er...um...I mean "hat". I definitely feel like I act differently when wearing a hat, more of a gentleman. I guess that I too am trying not to "tarnish the institution of hat wearing men" as LeeB so accurately stated.

I received two smiles from ladies during my visit to the post office yesterday: one when I opened the door as an elderly lady entered; and a knowing grin from the lady behind the counter (who somehow seemed to know that the package I was retrieving was another fedora ;) ) They more than made up for any negative feedback that arises when people see a guy in his mid-20's wearing a fedora.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Ledsled, just bring a piece of string, tell him your plan, wrap it wround his head, mark it where it overlaps, then measure to the mark when you get home. Voila: his size measurement.

LeeB

Familiar Face
Fedora's rule!

I went right from the office to Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. I normally wear my best (dress slacks, polished shoes and pressed dress shirts) for work as well as (what else) my hat. Some of the non-engaged cashiers were waiting at the end of thier respective checkout aisles waiting for customers. Two of them were talking and almost tripped over themselves to help me.

Now, maybe they wer just having a boring conversation or a race back to the registers. Either way, the flirtatious smile from the one I walked towards said it all.

It's good to be a hat wearing guy.

Welcome

Welcome, SinatraStyle, to the lounge.

I was leaving work the other afternoon and passed in the hall one of our very nice elderly hospital volunteer ladies. She seemed very appreciative when I bid her a very warm "Ma'am" as I touched my brim. I'm sure she was thinking that that's the way it's supposed to be. Of course, with my Southern upbringing, I do that even when I'm wearing a ballcap.

There is no substitute for good manners.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Me too

Jake Sullivan said:
But my wife still thinks I am a dork.... oh well such is life. ( However I do wear it on the way to work dressed in a polyester grey Paramedic uniform) uh ...yeah I am a dork. Oh well I am a happy dork thoughlol lol lol

I get it too, the dork stuff. But yes, if that a dork...then yes I am. I have to admit though, I guess I don't know the "Fedora 101" basics of how, when, where of wearing one. Any suggestions. Maybe the dorkiness from me comes from not really knowing how or what I'm doing.

I have a few great hats. One is a LL Bean "Moose River" and one is a straw with a sage band. I love them both. Guess I lack the confidence since I'm new to this.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Magus said:
I marveled once again at the average ball cap wearing yahoo who just doesn’t have a clue of the POWER of a decent hat. Then again….four ladies….all attractive….hmmmm…maybe we DON’T want them to realize how wearing a Fedora RULES!

Please...Share your adventures and thoughts.
M

Years ago I was in a very expensive, upscale men's shop in midtown Manhattan. A customer was trying on a very expensive cashmere coat, and was wearing a baseball cap. Despite the adage "the customer is always right" the salesman, obviously very old school, could not let this go by without comment. Very diplomatically he said, "now years ago, you would never wear a baseball cap with a coat like this, but now...." I don't know what the guy was thinking, but hey, its his dough.

Two weeks ago I took a bus from Pennsy to Manhattan, then boarded Amtrak's flagship train, the Acela, for a run up to Boston. I wore black and white spectator shoes, navy blue, linen pants with pleats and cuffs, a custom made dress shirt, snazzy tie, and my roll up, wide brim Panama hat. Here are a few of the unsolicited comments from passerby....

"What magazine did you just step out of?" [I wish I had a snazzy reply, but I just smiled and tipped my hat]

"Man, you are stylin' AND profilin'!" [This from a hotel doorman.]

I like your, .... uhm ...look!" [This from several people - I suggested the term "ensemble" when they couldn't think of the word they wanted.

PerSegroup050521a.jpg

Thats me in my vintage Stetson Whippet.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Shanghailander said:
Thats me in my vintage Stetson Whippet.
Stylin' and profilin'--that's so hip! And you are indeed wearing that fine hat, sir, it's not wearing you (as a friend likes to ascertain whenever I get a new hat...). Keep up the good work lookin' so darn fine and we'll see well-dressed people more and more commonly... (fingers cossed)

Here's a quote, from a band called Spoon, from a song called, 'The Fitted Shirt:'

When I was still growing up
and Dad headed off to work
he put a coat and tie on
over a fitted shirt...

I long for the days
they used to say
Ma’am And Yes Sir.
For now I'm going to find
buttons for my
Dad's old used shirt.

Fitted Shirt
Fitted Shirt...

One day it will take
and they'll start to make
shirts that fit right.
'Til then I suppose
I've still got Dad's clothes
and that’s all right.

Fitted Shirt
Fitted Shirt

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shanghailander said:
Years ago I was in a very expensive, upscale men's shop in midtown Manhattan. A customer was trying on a very expensive cashmere coat, and was wearing a baseball cap. Despite the adage "the customer is always right" the salesman, obviously very old school, could not let this go by without comment. Very diplomatically he said, "now years ago, you would never wear a baseball cap with a coat like this, but now...." I don't know what the guy was thinking, but hey, its his dough.

This is where ventriloquism would come in handy. "Lose the baseball cap... lose the baseball cap..." lol

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Shanghailander, I believe I have the same model and color Whippet. It's one of the nicest hats I own.

I've been wearing hats occasionally all my life, but in the last year I've started wearing them every day. My oldest daughter has simply taken to telling her friends - you'll know him when he gets here; he's the guy wearing a hat.

And my wife doesn't comment pro or con, but just aks me to get them off the table when new acquisitions tend to pile up.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Yep, fedoras rule, but just when you're old enough!
Here in germany, especially in the rural regions, people are very intolerant when it comes to something different like vintage clothing.
Hmmm...How should I say it?
I think here you first have to get a girlfriend and then were the hat!;)

ortega76

Practically Family
I just got back from lunch with my boss, my store's district manager and the store manager of a neighboring store. Nothing really official, just an unofficial preparation for back-to-school. Nick, the neighboring store manager, commented that I looked like a gangster as I was wearing a brown stingy brimmed vintage Stetson, jeans, a brown Dickies style work shirt (short sleeved) and brown Chuck Taylors.

According to Nick (the neighboring store manager), I was overdressed and should have worn something like what Nick was wearing- boxer shorts that were exposed by low slung basketball shorts and then even slung baggy jeans. So he had three different patterns and layers on his legs! Of course, his pants were belted just south of his butt cheeks so he had to limp along while I laughed at this silly white kid from a small town trying to be "gangster".

The best part is that the DM made a comment about me looking put together and our waitress not only gave me several compliments on the lid but seemed inclined to ask about me socially until I flashed my wedding ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24