Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique tailcoat questions

AEF17

New in Town
Greetings to all.

I have perused this forum for quite some time, but this is the first posting and question that I have asked. I ask for your patience, as I know hope to eventually be able to become conversant with the optimal manner in which to post on here.

To begin, I recently purchased a full dress ensemble (evening tailcoat and trousers) that dates from March 1910. It's not bespoke; it was tailored by Hart Schaffner Marx, but the quality of it is quite impressive.

I don't think that it was worn very often, the only internal signs of age are around the area where the pit of the arms would have met the silk lining. The trousers are impeccable; even the outside brace-buttons are as new. Sorry about lack of photos, but they would be too large, size-wise, and I don't like taking upon huge amounts of space with pictures.

By the way, there have been a decent amount of antique evening tailcoat or evening dress suits offered lately. I've seen coats from 1894, 1901, 1903, 1913, and 1917 offered on eBay, most in impressive condition (many lack the trousers, though).

I have the following questions, any one of which, or in whatever combination thereof, I would appreciate some insight.

1. The cut of the tailcoat is such that it slopes down more in front than its modern kindred. Also it is a bit higher in regard to where it sits. Of course, one cannot expect the few contemporary manufacturers of full-backed waistcoats to bear this in mind. Thus, I had the waistcoat altered. The Philadelphia tailor did his very best, but of course the waistcoat cannot be so high as to expose the trouser button, and I'm not putting undue pressure on the 100 year old brace-buttons just for the sake of a high waist. Thus, when all is in place, there is a minute area of waistcoat that shows (about 1/4 inch, if that) where the tails begin. I know there is not supposed to be any, but that 1/2 inch is permissible. I'm not wearing this to a gathering of the 400, but I do have a concern as to this. If I could ever find a 100 year-old waistcoat, I'm sure the problem would be obviated, but that would be about impossible.

2. There is a minute amount of fading along the shoulder area--as though it followed where a hanger no doubt held the garment for many years. I only notice it in certain lighting. Should this be a concern, or is there a certain amount of aging that should be expected for something over 100 years old?
For that matter, is there any "upper limit" to how long antique garments can be worn? I do WW I re-enacting, and have a perfectly wearable uniform as well as officer overcoats (warmest thing ever!) that are really just as good as new. For civilian clothing, when is it "beyond the pale" to wear garments? 110 years? 120? I'm pushing it with something 101, but it's sturdier than 99.98% of what is made now.

3. A lambskin glove question. I'm a half-size, and when I bought the size lower, my hands almost burst the seams, and it was almost painful attempting to get the gloves on. The next size higher, and the gloves fit fine, but I think they are larger than the "second skin" that formal gloves are supposed to be. What appearance am I to look for? No wrinkles or creases at all when they are on my hands, or a slight bit of room allowed for such? I can't see how perfection can be achieved unless I have them custom-made, and again, there is no reason for that with the type of affair this is being worn to. Perhaps some day...

Thank you for any assistance that you can give. If I can manage to reduce the size of photos and find decent lighting without going to the water closet (embarrasing, but well-lit) to snap the pictures, I will try.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
The tailcoat seems to be cut for a shorter person given the details. Personally, the correct thing to do is get higher rise trousers so the waistcoat could be raised until there is no peekage. All the old prints say there should be no peekage. If you are wearing this only for re-enactment then it would not be a big issue.

Fading: One thing I might do is dry clean it and see if the fading disappears as it could be staining. However, I wouldn't do this if the silk is too delicate to survive the process.

Gloves: They indeed should fit like a second skin. However, if the seams are ripping then it obviously is too tight. Don't worry about wrinkles, etc. It should fit comfortably and not break. Lambskin you say? The leather should be buckskin, chamois or capeskin which is more stretchier.

AEF17

New in Town
Thank you for the kind reply.

At the risk of not over-informing, I did omit a few details from my original post, although what you wrote was extremely helpful.

First, I agree with you that the original owner was shorter in the torso, although I still suspect that the cut of tailcoat differs from what what we know today. Men's semi-formal wear of the early 1910's had an interesting flair, and I wonder if this carried over, even if modestly, to formal wear as well. When the trousers were altered for me, the trousers had to be shortened four inches, at least, and I am 5'11." tThat fellow's proportions were intersting to be sure.

I might add, as well, that these alterations had to be performed rather hastily (within a ten-day time frame, alas) in order for me to prepare for the event that I'm attending. Thus, I can certainly have the trousers altered again so that I can have them sit higher on my waist. Thank you for that suggestion.

As to the gloves, once again, the limited time-frame necessitated the purchase of lamb-skin, which I was surprised to find in the first place. I appreciate the listing of proper glove-skins that I should look for in the future. I feel as though, next time, I will certainly be much better prepared.

I might add as well that I had no difficulty procuring the proper "boiled" white-pique shirt, detachable collar, self-tie bow tie, and already had an antique top hat which is in fine shape. Usually those items give quite a bit of trouble, but in my case it was confined to the dress suit and the gloves.

Qirrel

Practically Family
. All the old prints say there should be no peekage.

Not all the old prints mention this, and not all photographs agree with the rule. That said, I think it looks better when there is no peeking white vest. As for the problem with the rise; If the trousers are original to the coat, they should have a rise which goes with the waist of the coat. You should try getting a vintage vest off ebay or other (there are lots of them) as they correspond better with vintage stuff than modern vests do.

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Gloves: They indeed should fit like a second skin. However, if the seams are ripping then it obviously is too tight. Don't worry about wrinkles, etc. It should fit comfortably and not break. Lambskin you say? The leather should be buckskin, chamois or capeskin which is more stretchier.

Do you have a modern source for gloves in these skins? I have only been able to find lambskin.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Not all the old prints mention this, and not all photographs agree with the rule. That said, I think it looks better when there is no peeking white vest. As for the problem with the rise; If the trousers are original to the coat, they should have a rise which goes with the waist of the coat. You should try getting a vintage vest off ebay or other (there are lots of them) as they correspond better with vintage stuff than modern vests do.

Maybe so but looking at it from an aestheical perspective, no peek, as you yourself say, looks far better and I would say more neat, clean, tidy, understated and elegant.

Do you have a modern source for gloves in these skins? I have only been able to find lambskin.

Chester Jefferies.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Regardless of whether not showing the waistcoat beneath the coat line is a rule or not a rule, it sounds to me like you don't want it peeping out of there and that's all that matters. If you don't like it then no amount of people saying "it's technically permissible" is going to convince you that you do. In which case I would agree with the recommendation of getting yourself a pair of higher rise trousers. By all means keep the old ones so that you still have the original suit intact for posterity, but for actual wearing it sounds like you really need the higher waist.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
The closet evidence for the 'rule' I have come across is the pronouncements of the Lord Chamberlain in Dress Worn at His Majesty's Court were the illustrations for the waistcoat of the New Style Court Dress intrinstically based on the white tie full evening dress is illustrated with no peekage. Not a direct pronouncement (as it isn't written down) but a indirect one for it means that the waistcoat for at least the swallow tail bodycoat (i.e. full dress coat for white tie included) must not peek and this would carry onto alternative coat dress which is essentially the same as white tie save the breeches, silk stockings and court shoes. By that extension it would include normal white tie. It's a long way round but if anyone wants evidence from royal decree, this is the best that you can get.

http://www.archive.org/stream/dressinsigniawor00greauoft#page/76/mode/2up

Last edited:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I remember reading somewhere that the style of not having the vest show was popularized by Fred Astaire, who thought it made him look taller and who actually had trouble getting such an outfit made. I think it was said that Astaire had seen someone like the Duke of Windsor (rather short himself if I remember) wearing one. Presumably, if this is true, the norm before then was to have the vest show.

Noble Savage

New in Town
The silk is the weakest part of these coats. You don't want it to turn to dust at an event. Your tailor can replace the silk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner