Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any good hat blocking shops in LA?

zeus36

A-List Customer
I'm in Ventura County, just north of LA county. Wanted to take a trip into Los Angeles or the vicinity and get my hat re-blocked. Anyone got some ideas? There has to be some old-time small shops down there with all the equipment. I know I could send it in to one of the folks mentioned on this site, but I'd rather take the drive.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
there is Baron hats, though I'm not a big fan when it comes to them reblocking soft felt hats like fedoras. cowboy hats yes, but when it comes to a fedoras...
They cut the brim on one I did not want cut, they have shrunk the crown on a hat I just wanted cleaned, they melted the edge of a bound edge hat I had... looked awful.

I hear they make good indy repros, though when it comes to maintance, I have had really bad luck with them.

I know Barons is closer, though when i need my hats cleaned or blocked i send them out to Optimo... you could try Art faucet at Vintage silhouettes, or Peters Brothers in Ft Worth.

http://www.baronhats.com/
www.optimohats.com
www.vintagesilhouettes.com
www.petersbros.com

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Optimo is the way to go

I recommend you ship your hat via USPS to Optimo in Chicago...they have a full tank system for cleaning, spinner, drying room. They can block, brush, change ribbon-sweat-liner.....whatever you need done.

They charge about $35 for a clean and block. It will return you hat to like new. And the shipping isn't bad, usually about $8 from CA to Chicago. At todays gas prices, and parking, etc. It is cheaper to just send the thing out!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I am a victom of Barons bad work:cry: Not as bad as Matt's stories, but still not a happy costomer. I had a light gray Stetson (Some of you may remember this) but, it was my favorite hat. I needed to get a small spot off the liner and then get it reblocked. I aksed them for an open crown. It came back with a teardrop block! Plus, they didn't even get the stain out! I will never take a hat over there again!

I know how it is, I love the thought of just driving down the street and getting a hat reblocked, but those days are over unless you live neer Optimo, or Art's shop. Since you live in Ventura, you might like to plan a trip to Art's shop. I haven't been yet my self, but from what others here say it's the best!

Trust us on this score my friend, you wont regret it :cool2:

Root.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Hi Zeus,
I'm in the San Fran east bay in Rodeo. When you are ready just give me a call at 1-800-636-1410. I am in the shop tomorrow and Monday ( even though we are closed Monday) so call & we'll get together on the hat.

Art

zeus36

A-List Customer
Art, thanks ... I just saw your city listed under your Avatar.
That is quite a drive for me! (8 hours) I was thinking you were on Rodeo Drive !

May be taking a trip up to San Fran in the fall( which is coming up fast)

I'll be sure to come in and see you and the store.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Good deal Zeus, just let me know you are coming. I still keep my "day job" so I'm not always in the shop. Sunday's are a must, the only day i am really committed to be there.

Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk