Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Good Hat Shops In Atlanta?

jkingrph

Practically Family
Bud-n-Texas said:
I don't know, but maybe Augusta or Savannah may have some hat shops. We are planning a trip to Savannah in Sept. I will take a look around then. Macon, may even be a possibility. The Varsity is about the only thing worth going into Atlanta for any more.
I do not think you shall have much luck in Macon. My wife is from there and we do not remember seeing any clothing stores that carry good hats. Augusta may be a option, having a class event like the Masters, but really do not know.

Jeff

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

SB, old hoss, you should have asked me. The Executive Shop is the best bet around. I have bought hats there. The proprietor has a ton of them. It's in downtown Atlanta, three blocks NE of CNN.

Chaperon

New in Town
I have been to the Executive Shop in Atlanta, so I'll comment here. He falls into the Last Survivor Standing bucket. The shop has been there many years and has survived because his overhead is low (I'm guessing but I think he owns the building from a comment he made) and because he has adapted to the market local to him.

The shop is located about a city center as it could be, between the CNN Center and Five Points on a side street. Parking on Saturday wasn't that easy, but on a weekday it would be impossible to park nearby without using a parking garage. Some of them will have room, and some won't so be prepared for the drive-and-hunt routine, or better - take the Marta system. I would not go to this area of town alone after dark, btw.

The shop carries a good many hats (Dobbs, Stetson, Capas, etc) in many styles. He does have a good many fedoras. I bought a new Steve Harvey issue Dobbs from him and had my pick of colors in my size (7 1/2 or so) in regular (really needed a Long Oval). The hat I bought I found later was a few years old so I think his stock rotates slowly.

He also stocks a lot of shirts, jackets, pants, shoes, etc to be able to survive so his hat inventory might be less than it once was. That said he is knowledgable (at least, more than I am) and enthusiastic about hats. He also indicated that the hat trade was up a bit for him, which is good. He also does some internet business, but I have no idea how much.

In the same visit I also bought a LiteFelt fedora for daily wear from him which proved to be really good in terms of fit and utility, but not as fine a hat as the Dobbs, of course. I've only been there the one time but plan to go back again. If nothing esle I got a good idea of what looked better or worse on me by being able to try things on, and I like being able to support a hat shop - we need them there tomorrow.

Scale of 1 - 10, 10 being best - all based on one trip of course:

Inventory and variety - 6 or 7
Attitude and service - 10 :eusa_clap
Pricing - a 5 or 6 (no shipping helps)
Location - 2

Also consider Horse Town in Marietta - they are mostly Western wear but have a number of really knowledgeable hat folk there and do carry Stetson items other than the Cowboy hat lines and can get anything from Stetson, Dobbs, or whoever. They have felt cleaners, brushes, etc also.

Not a complete answer to the local lack of hat shops, but sometimes helpful.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I second what Chaperon says about parking, etc. If you go on the weekend, no problem. Go on a weekday, you may have to grab a lot on Marietta Street, or, better, take MARTA (Hey, I take it every work day!). That drops you at Five Points, and the Executive Shop is less than a five-minute stroll from there.

riflegunbuilder

New in Town
The shop I bought some hats from is The Charleston Hatman. He is at 188 Meeting Street. There are also a number of better mens shops in that area.

Atlanta Fop

New in Town
Another Plug for The Executive Shop

Good afternoon, folks. I'm new to the forum (after lurking for some time) and dredged this post up to add my two cents.

I've also been to the Executive Shop ("ES") and had a very nice experience; I agree with Chaperon's rating of the place. I, too, was looking for a hatter in the Atlanta area after being spoiled on a recent trip to Seattle (Byrnie Utz Hats). I found the ES online after doing a little research. Rick (the owner) and his wife are extremely nice folks. I went during lunch after seeing they carry Stetsons and Dobbs fur felt fedoras, and ended up buying a Temple. They also had a good selection of straw hats, and even had some boaters (which Rick's wife said sold very well). While they did not have very many fur felts, Rick stated that he would add many more after Labor Day. I will definitely go back but, as one poster mentioned, I will not go back after dark.

For you lawyers in the area, the shop is on Walton Street directly across from the Eleventh Circuit courthouse (close to the intersection of Forsyth and Walton).

The ES actually occupies a building that used to house Robley Hats, Atlanta's premier hatter "back in the day." I recently had occasion to visit with Robley's former owner, who confirmed that there aren't any hatters left in the area.

Bottom line - give the ES a try. Super nice folks selling good hats.

All the best,

Chad

animator

One of the Regulars
I agree with Atlanta Fop and Chaperon about the Executive Shop. They have a 10% coupon online (if you just mention it I think they give you the discount). Super nice service and a good variety. I bought a hat for my dad there last time he was in town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters