Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any ladies here shave 'vintage'?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
No vintage shaving here.

I bought an epilator made by Braun but am still trying to work up the nerve to use it. Ouch!

In the meantime, I use a triple edged razor for my underarms.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband does full-on vintage shaving, with the cake of soap & the safety razors, but I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon. I own 2 women's vintage razors, a Curvfit and a Kewtie. I use them for display only.

I'm extremely clumsy and frequently cut myself using a plain ol' disposable razor!

Lenore

Practically Family
I shave vintage. I use a Lady Gillette, and usually Feather or Personna Blades. My current shave cream I get at Bath and Body Works and it's made my C.O. Bigelow. Slightly Menthol smell, but its a nice wake up. I follow up using my Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel as after.

A LOT of info can be found at Badger and Blade, a shaving forum. I'm a member there too though I haven't posted in a while. Darn life.

Regardless, the men (and women) there are always helpful about learning how-to's and such. Many of them are more obsessed with their shaving gear than I am with my red lippies.. and THAT is saying something!

Lenore

Practically Family
Also, most women with modern razor's automatically shave against the grain. Starting out with a Double Edge, that is NOT a good idea. Try it with the grain until you get the hang out it. My usual shave goes with, then against. I get BBS and no rash that way.

And I just realized the OP mentioned B&B in their post. I'm going to chalk up my not realizing that to my pain killers putting me in darvocet land...

wahine

Practically Family
Some time ago, I bought a (men's?) vintage vanity kit that had a small safety razor in it. I'd really like to try this, so I got the first blades I found, just to see if they fit at all. Well, I'm not so sure since I don't know how far the blade is supposed to show. I think it sticks out pretty far and it doesn't look 100% symmetrical. It's a bit hard to capture in a photo, esp. in the dark season ;)
Before I kill myself trying this, will please someone tell me if it looks right?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That blade position looks OK to me.

The main trick to remember when using a safety razor is that the balance is different from a modern disposable -- I find the best position to hold it is right below the head, rather than at the end of the handle, for maximum control around knees and ankles. Go slow at first until you get used to it.

Saftey razor shaving for women needs to make a comeback. There's a lot less waste to dispose of -- no plastic cartridges or handles -- and the blades are much, much less expensive than the latest gimmick blades.

wahine

Practically Family
Thank you both for your answers. I will have a look at "the art of manliness", too.
LizzyMaine, you are so right. The plastic waste is one of the main reasons why I want to give the classic safety razor a try. Thanks for the advice on the holding position, I'll just give it a try. For the beginning I'll use my regular shaving foam, or maybe hair conditioner as was recommended earlier in this thread. I might have some leftovers of the days before my soda-and-vinegar hair washing routine (I don't use hair conditioners anymore).

wahine

Practically Family
My first try with my vintage safety razor did not end up in the blood shedding masscre I feared for. Well, maybe I shouldn't have read that much on the net and shouldn't have watched Dexter before I started :D

All the instructions I read recommended to be extremely careful, not to press the razor on the skin like you do it with a modern plastic razor, and start off with going with the grain, instead of against it.
So I was veerry careful, barely pressed and went with the grain.
What was the result? Nothing. I could have used the razor without the blade. So I pressed a bit, but still nothing. I ended up using it just exactly like a modern plastic razor: against the grain, and pressing it fairly against the skin. I got a nice result, almost as good as usual. After this success on the legs, I even used it on my arm pits and the result was the same: satisfying, no blood shed!
With better blades and some practise (the angle makes a difference), I will probably get a perfect result. :)

I'm not saying that all the advice on the web is wrong. But it might really depend on the razor you use and on your skin (plus, most of the web advice is about shaving a man's beard, not a lady's legs).

After this experience, I encourage all ladies to give it a try.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My first try with my vintage safety razor did not end up in the blood shedding masscre I feared for. Well, maybe I shouldn't have read that much on the net and shouldn't have watched Dexter before I started :D

All the instructions I read recommended to be extremely careful, not to press the razor on the skin like you do it with a modern plastic razor, and start off with going with the grain, instead of against it.
So I was veerry careful, barely pressed and went with the grain.
What was the result? Nothing. I could have used the razor without the blade. So I pressed a bit, but still nothing. I ended up using it just exactly like a modern plastic razor: against the grain, and pressing it fairly against the skin. I got a nice result, almost as good as usual. After this success on the legs, I even used it on my arm pits and the result was the same: satisfying, no blood shed!
With better blades and some practise (the angle makes a difference), I will probably get a perfect result. :)

I'm not saying that all the advice on the web is wrong. But it might really depend on the razor you use and on your skin (plus, most of the web advice is about shaving a man's beard, not a lady's legs).

After this experience, I encourage all ladies to give it a try.

I am glad you liked it! I use a safety razor because I get fewer cuts (the modern razors would slice me up all over). I do go a bit slower but I find a much closer shave as a result. :)

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I am intrigued by this. I looked into it once before, but I think it bears a closer look as I strive towards a less disposable life.

Good info here!

WifeyRobinson

New in Town
Just discovered this thread!! Both I and the man of the house vintage shave! I caught on to it about three months ago him for almost two years. When I was using carts (cartridges) I found the shave to be uneven, my skin left irritated, I could never get that "smooth model" finish, and gosh ding it if I didn't nick my self and get a good weeper every single time!!! When I switched to DE jiminy crickets I was intimidated but as Lizzie has stated and I'm sure others once you master the right angle and ZERO pressure method safety razor shaving beats out carts every time!! Yes it does take more time, but it's more comfortable on your skin, I find I get less nicks and weepers, less irritating, I get a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave almost every time, and here's the biggie ITS SO MUCH CHEAPER!! Ok maybe that's a ewe bit of a lie lol..it's cheaper unless it becomes...a "hobby" we'll say. Ok on the shaving forum I'm a part of we call it a RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) but it's cheaper in the long run and interesting as well.
Of course me being me I had to take it up a notch and now I'm learning with a straight razor....but that's a whole different kettle of fish.. If you have ANY questions feel free to pm me!!

St. Louis

Practically Family
The only real drawback to using a safety razor these days is that most bathroom medicine cabinets today no longer have that little slot in the back for used blades!

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
The manshape and I have just started shaving "vintage". In portebello market a few weeks ago we picked up a razor and vintage mother of pearl belt buckle for a grand total of 50p for both (yes thats right ladies, 25pence EACH!) The guy was desperate to get rid of it as no one wanted them!
Its a one like this ( http://www.abovethetie.com/images/featured/featured_slim1.jpg ) but its been used before, no box or anything.
I have to say I don't know why the world went away from these to disposables!! This little bad boy gives the best shave, nice and close, no nicks/cuts/bloodbaths and the shave lasts longer than 1 day! what isnt to love!
ohmygosh I cant stop raving about it haha! One daft little thing has made me go from I hate shaving to yay lets shave!
I don't even find it takes longer. It takes less time for me if anything, or maybe its because Im enoying it I just dont care anymore :D
WifeyRobinson, when I finally get the guts to try a straight razor Ill be messaging you! Manshape wants to get one so me trying it is inevitable ;)

WifeyRobinson

New in Town
The manshape and I have just started shaving "vintage". In portebello market a few weeks ago we picked up a razor and vintage mother of pearl belt buckle for a grand total of 50p for both (yes thats right ladies, 25pence EACH!) The guy was desperate to get rid of it as no one wanted them!
Its a one like this ( http://www.abovethetie.com/images/featured/featured_slim1.jpg ) but its
been used before, no box or anything.

I have to say I don't know why the world went away from these to disposables!! This little bad boy gives the best shave, nice and close, no nicks/cuts/bloodbaths and the shave lasts longer than 1 day! what isnt to love!
ohmygosh I cant stop raving about it haha! One daft little thing has made me go from I hate shaving to
yay lets shave!
I don't even find it takes longer. It takes less time for me if anything, or maybe its because Im enoying it I just dont care anymore :D
WifeyRobinson, when I finally get the guts to try a straight razor Ill be messaging you! Manshape wants to get one so me trying it is inevitable ;)
What a deal!! That is a Gillette slim adjustable. The numbers on the top allow you to change the level of blade exposure while you shave changing the level of aggression in the shave.
When you decide to do straights definitely shoot me a message!!

Kim Covell-Campbell

New in Town
I remember my mom's safety razor she had. I wish she still had it, I's snag it from her! Right now I use an electric shaver that I got when I was about 13. I have been using it for about 5 years now. I received a horrible rash and some weird skin thing the last time I used a disposable razor. Not sure if it was due to the razor, some allergy thing, or both, but I have been afraid to delve into a wet shave since then. And I never had an issue before that!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I too had rashes from disposables.

I think it was one of two things. The blades are really cheap on a disposable (they would last me eight shaves at most) so it could have been razor burn. Also a lot of the disposables have this "product" on the end that's meant to moisturize or be shaving cream or something, so it could have been an allergy. Or it could have been a combination of the two- cut and then allergy. I used them for years, but then I went back to buy more, I had horrible problems. The blades were cheaper on the new ones and the stuff on the end of the razor was different too.

I've never had any problems with my safety razor.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
I find I have the same problems with disposables too. Somehow I dont think the blades are as sharp or something just isnt right - with or without the balm/product stuff. Just makes me love my safety razor all the more :) Its working out cheaper for us that buying disposables. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana