Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other curly girls in here?

Stormy Plumtree

New in Town
I've struggled against my curly hair for years. I used to blow dry it straight for smoothness and then pin curl it, but lately I've been trying to embrace my natural curls and let it be a little floofy.

After washing I use some curl defining cream then put it in a messy low bun at the nape of my neck and let it dry overnight. When I take it out the next day, the crown of my head is smoothed and the bottom of my hair is all kinky and curly from the bun. At this point I just finger through to separate the curls and use a clampless curling iron to curl pieces around the front that aren't working the way I want. I also use the curling iron for some top layer pieces which tend to be straighter and need help. The curling iron gives the canopy definition, and the bottom layers that are naturally curled blend in nicely underneath. It's a much less fussy approach than what I used to do and tends to look softer.

This works specifically for me and my wants, but everyone's curl pattern will be different and need a specific kind of attention. Though the half-natural, half-curling-iron approach (or half pin curls - whichever you prefer) might work for curly girls with a straighter canopy. You might not have to curl your whole head - just the pieces that need a little help.

HatLoverGirl

New in Town
For those of you who set your hair regularly, do you ever just let it go curly and maybe style the front, like in finger waves or rolls? I did that yesterday and really liked it. I often wonder if the curly ladies did that to save time. I never really see pictures of it, save Clara Bow, with her curl bob tamed by finger waves in the front. I like curler sets, but sometimes I just don't have time or energy for that. What about you? Anyone have pictures? I think I'll make mine my avatar.
I let my hair be naturally curly :)

EvaS

New in Town
I have very curly hair, so I just straighten it with my flat iron. They are very stubborn:D it's impossible to make a vintage look.

Cassidy

New in Town
My hair is somewhere at the nexus of curly, wavy, and frizzy, and it sometimes works very well with vintage styles and sometimes not. The really annoying problem I have is that when I do a wet pin curl set overnight, the sides and top hold the curl very well while the back loses it, and ends up just sort of floaty/frizzy/slightly wavy from top to bottom, as it is naturally. This isn't terrible, it still seems to read as "old-fashioned" to people, but it frustrates me that I can't get that 1940s smooth crown/curly bottom style.

Has anyone else had to deal with this problem and figured out a way to conquer it?

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I have never figured that out. It's the humidity here that does it, or pulling clothes on and off in winter. And at this point in my vintage inspired journey my hair has gotten past hip length which doesn't lend itself to any '30s styles except a bun. And my buns are HUGE, haha. My hair is Edwardian, I guess.

leolisa

New in Town
My hair starts getting curly at hair tips after I reach 20. I like it and never straight it. But now I, even more, prefer full curly hair and use a curling iron. Also my favorite I chose with help of this site. My mother got curly hair after I was born, so I wish it will get more curly with age. I love how curly hairstyles look

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
It's at the point where I most often wear my hair up but it's down on wash day because I air dry. On those days it's not vintage looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana