Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any period outfit recommendations?

StripedOne

New in Town
I've been browsing the forum for a couple weeks now, and have just now decided to post. So, without further adieu, the question.
I'm putting together an outfit for a period around the mid 1940s to the late 1950s. I've already ordered a navy blue pinstripe double breasted suit, and have plans to get a Dobbs Strand. Overall, what sorts of other things would I need for this?
A main issue I face for vintage outfits is size. To put it in a nutshell, I don't have the Universal Suit Measurement sizes. So unless I hit gold, I'm not likely to find a vintage suit in my size.

Also, good to be here. I hope to become a part of the community here.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your question is rather vague. Start with shirts (the FL sponsors make good ones) and colorful late 40s ties to get some variety.
Of course you need leather shoes but we have threads for this. This are the sort of things you "need".

Bonus: collar bars, tie bars, suspenders/braces, cufflinks, scarfes, bowties... The whole forum is full of suggestions.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Is this for one outfit, or are you planning an entire wardrobe? If you are planning an entire 1940s/1950s wardrobe you should think about starting with a couple of pair of high waisted, loose fitting grey wool trousers. These are incredibly versatile and can be the basis for so many outfits.
These were in the classifieds recently and might be worth looking at:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...izes-Discount-for-TFL-Members&highlight=pants

If, as you say, you aren't a good size for buying vintage, it will be worth reading through in detail. Maybe do some searches on the FL searching for things like 'reproduction'. There are plenty of links to people making suits - some of them fairly reasonably priced. But like I say, if suits are difficult to find it will be easier to experiment with mixed sports jacket and trousers. Have a good look at the 'show us your sports jackets' thread, that might be good for inspiration.

Also, you didn't say what size you are. Why not put an advert in the classifieds giving your size and saying what you are looking for. You might get lucky.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Welcome!

As FFF has said, men used to have a LOT more accessories back in the old days than what they do now. You can really go nuts with it all. But I agree - We need to know more about what you're trying to achieve.

Some designs are timeless. For example, if you're after easy-to-buy period-looking shoes, wingtips are easily available at most shops. Suspenders and braces are easily purchased, either button-or-clip-on.

StripedOne

New in Town
Two Types, I'm starting as a single outfit. I might expand to a whole wardrobe over time if I can manage it. I'll certainly try looking in the classifieds once I have enough posts to have my account upgraded.
Thanks for the help by the way, I'll see what I can find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda