Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Persol fans? (also general sunglasses chat)

Fermenter

New in Town
It's about time I acted like an adult and got myself some proper sunglasses. I find myself drawn to Persol, even though I have never worn anything like them (generally I've only bought mid-range Polaroid or similar).

I don't have access to their stuff locally, so I can see a bit of (potentially expensive) trial and error in my future, and I wondered if there were some Persol fans here that were happy to share their thoughts and any tips?

A couple of questions to kick things off:

1. I generally choose brown lenses - they just feel less depressing than grey - but I've never tried quality lenses in other colours (eg green). I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on lens colours (from a vision, comfort and style point of view), as well as personal feelings on gradient, photochromic and polarised lenses?

2. The 'calligrapher' style (with havana frame & brown lens) appears to have very pale, buttery coloured hardware (almost like old silver cutlery) - does anyone know if this is accurate, or just a trick of the photography?!

Seank

A-List Customer
I’ve got a couple pairs. 694 and 718 I think, may be wrong. Anyway, one is collapsible, looks cool but I rarely ever use that feature. These are the “steve McQueen” style sunglasses but I don’t actually have the namesake version. Both have Havana frames.
I have both brown and blue lenses. I really like the blue lense. Although you really can’t go wrong. You’ll be happy with any way you go, their lenses are great.
The style takes a little getting used to, I’m used to “sport” sunglasses and these make me feel a little self conscious, but I do like them.

Sonero

Practically Family
I have a few pair. Currently waiting on a custom order through my local optical shop. Will post photos when it arrives.
Persol has a great vintage look due to the black and silver coloring/trimming. Quality on most models is usually pretty decent. Although they could use an update on the designs IMO.

Fermenter

New in Town
Thanks fellas. I actually splurged and ordered a few models at reasonable black Friday prices, so those I don't like I can put on the bay without too much of a loss hopefully.

collapsible, looks cool but I rarely ever use that feature

Yeah I've read a few comments along those lines, and it looks like they fold into quite a fat package which probably doesn't really make them any more portable anyway. But they do have a look of their own with that straight bridge and additional hardware.

I've always been averse to regular aviators - they have a very American, "top gun" kinda vibe that doesn't translate well around here, but I suspect the acetate frames make the Persols a bit different.

I have both brown and blue lenses. I really like the blue

That's interesting - care to elaborate? Maybe it's a case of getting used to them, but I've never really liked the feel of grey lenses and I reckon blue would be similar - kinda cold and a bit depressing. Are they any good for driving etc?

I've got various colours coming, but the ones I think I'm most excited about are the brown gradient. I find polarised lenses horrible for driving - they make all the windows go weird colours and I can't see my phone/satnav screen without lifting them.

I'm also really curious to try green lenses, and see what they do for colour perception and general mood.

The style takes a little getting used to, I’m used to “sport” sunglasses and these make me feel a little self conscious, but I do like them.

Self conscious in what way? I'm a bit unsure about the Gucci/Chanel 'bling' of visible metal hardware on otherwise acetate frames, but I'm sure I can get past it. I've got some coming with metal arms and bridge so it'll be interesting to see if more metal actually makes them seem less blingy.

Persol has a great vintage look due to the black and silver coloring/trimming. Quality on most models is usually pretty decent. Although they could use an update on the designs IMO.

I don't actually wear (or accessorize in) black - too many years forced to wear it, and I live a more casual lifestyle now. Brown leather all the way baby! Generally I've always bought sporty metal frames or frameless, but lately I'm becoming rather taken with brown tortoiseshell. I particularly like the 'art deco' pairing of reds and browns with silver hardware, which Persol does a bit, although they do seem to lean towards gold quite a lot with the havana tortoiseshell. I really can't do gold. I bit the bullet and ordered those 'Calligraphers', I'm really hoping the metal is as subdued as it looks in pics, if it's gold-gold they'll be going.

This is what I've got incoming (an obsessive personality with a credit card is a recipe for ruin!) I do plan to return or resell at least half. Fit and comfort will be the first test, then I might live with the remaining contenders for a while to see how I feel about them:

persol.jpg

Last edited:

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Love them--have/had several pairs over the years. I bought my first pair in Venice in the 80s. I was shocked later that evening when I converted the Lira price into dollars but well worth it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko