Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Science Fiction Fans?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I ask because Friday I attended an annual event we have here. The Williamson Lectureship is a well established event to honor Professor Emeritus Jack Williamson. Sadly, this year was the second posthumous such event. Jack would have celebrated his 100th birthday this year.

At any rate, I post this here because Jack Williamson was a pioneer in modern science fiction. He published his first short story as a young man in 1928. His writing during science fiction's golden age influenced a number of luminaries in the genre, some of whom you've undoubtedly heard of, some probably you haven't. He was named the second Grand Master of Science Fiction after Robert Heinlein by the Science Fiction Writers of America. He published his last novel The Stonehenge Gate in 2005 just a year or so before he died.

This year's guest of honor at the Williamson was Stephen Gould who wrote a series of young adult stores, one of which has been made into a major motion picture. You may have seen the ads for Jumper.

I found Gould to be a really witty, nice guy. There were also some other folks returning to the Lectureship this year. I first met Melinda Snodgrass twenty years ago just as she was chasing down a gig on Star Trek: The Next Generation. She's still going strong.

Two of Jack's good friends in the business were Fred Saberhagen and his wife Joan. Fred passed away last June, but Joan attended and chaired a very nice panel discussion in his tribute.

Walter Jon Williams was back this year. He is a witty and reasonably prolific writer who has written science fiction, fantasy and some video game scripts. He has some interesting ideas on where science fiction is/should be going.

Also in attendance was Ed Bryant who sat around very politely and quietly until it was his turn to contribute surprisingly insightful and substantial experiences in the field. He's another one of the senior writers that cut his teeth on Golden Age science fiction from the 30's.

Dr. Christopher Stasheff is a faculty member at the local university who also happens to be a fairly well published medieval fantasy author. His major publication is The Warlock in Spite of Himself.

The festivities were principally chaired by Connie Willis, one of the most celebrated and authors in science fiction today (six Nebulas, five Hugos).

Finally, esteemed literary agent Eleanor Wood, Jack's agent of many years came down. She was a veritable fount of information, gossip, dirt, etc. about the realm of literary publication. It was wonderful to listen to her speak. (An aside: at one point, Frederik Pohl served as Jack's agent and collaborator for a number of years).

Generally, I'm glad I went. It was kind of like a wake -- lots of great stories about times gone by and what it was like writing science fiction "way back when."

I hope I didn't take up too much of your time. Here are some links to the program:

Front

Back

Mark

alexandra

Practically Family
That sounds very interesting. You are lucky to have gone to that event.

I am actually a science fiction fan and my favourite course I've ever taken in University was an SF course. It was also the course I got my highest university mark in...unfortunately I can't see it doing a lot of good to my future haha.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haven't read much SF in a while, but my favorites were:

Time Machine by HG Wells
Anything by Ursula LeGuin, especially Left Hand of Darkness
Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (OK, science fantasy)
Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Doran said:
Haven't read much SF in a while, but my favorites were:

Time Machine by HG Wells

Funny you should mention this; Dr. Williamson's PhD dissertation was on Wells. It was interesting to hear Jack hold forth on it, though it didn't happen often.

Wells was a seminal writer in the genre, though he predated it. His stories were sold as "adventure" stories because science fiction didn't yet exist. Same could be said for Mary Shelly who, for my money, was the first real science fiction writer. Others try to take it back to Plato. I think that's like calling Martha Stewart an architect.

Anything by Ursula LeGuin, especially Left Hand of Darkness

I sat through Jack's Fantasy and Science Fiction/Creative Writing Class for several years. At one point, he taught Left Hand. I haven't read much more of her stuff than that, but I like what I've read.

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (OK, science fantasy)

Not familiar with it. I don't think I've heard the name either. : One of the philosophical questions we always wrestled with in class had to do with distinguishing between Science Fiction and Fantasy. Turns out the line is not distinct. In fact, Jack was recognized by the Horror Writers Association with the Bram Stoker Award for Lifetime Achievement in 1997 as well as being an SFWA Grand Master of Science Fiction.

Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling

I like Bruce Sterling, though I'm only familiar with The Hacker Crackdown (non-fiction) and his collaborations with William Gibson. Sterling strikes me as an insanely bright guy.

Mark

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
'No Doors No Windows' - Harlan Ellison Nedra at f5.6

I've never read any of the No Doors No Windows collection, but I was a big fan of the Shatterday stuff. When Ellison was here we screened A Boy and His Dog. A great moment in the career of Don Johnson. :)

Ellison is interesting and brilliant to a fault. He's also getting on in years. I can't find anything that he's done lately.

Mark

Dr Doran

My favorite Harlan Ellison is the short story "I have no mouth and I must scream." Unforgettable. Better than Kafka ... better than anything.

As for Plato: please let us not discuss him in the same sentence as Martha Stewart. I like Martha S. and my wife gets her magazine, but that is like comparing Beethoven with the singer for the Flinstones cartoon. I think one can look at the Republic (which I just taught this semester to undergrads at Berkeley) as an important precursor to science fiction ... it depends on whether we want to consider non-genre science fiction as science fiction, if you get my drift. That is, if we want to consider writing that has a strongly speculative (but not solely magic/fantastic) bent as science fiction. I'd call Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood science fiction, but she is not a genre writer; same with 1984 and Brave New World. Perhaps B.F. Skinner's Walden 2 as well. If we allow these examples, we might conceivably see The Republic as a sort of early SF-type of thing.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Doran said:
My favorite Harlan Ellison is the short story "I have no mouth and I must scream." Unforgettable. Better than Kafka ... better than anything.

And written at Ellison's peak, in my opinion.

As for Plato: please let us not discuss him in the same sentence as Martha Stewart. I like Martha S. and my wife gets her magazine, but that is like comparing Beethoven with the singer for the Flinstones cartoon.

But my point was that, while she's awfully crafty, she is no architect.

I think one can look at the Republic (which I just taught this semester to undergrads at Berkeley) as an important precursor to science fiction ... it depends on whether we want to consider non-genre science fiction as science fiction, if you get my drift. That is, if we want to consider writing that has a strongly speculative (but not solely magic/fantastic) bent as science fiction.

I think of Plato, and other such works, as "political-science fiction". That is, it's political in nature and speculative in quality. I simply reject as a work of "science fiction."

I'd call Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood science fiction, but she is not a genre writer; same with 1984 and Brave New World. Perhaps B.F. Skinner's Walden 2 as well. If we allow these examples, we might conceivably see The Republic as a sort of early SF-type of thing.

Handmaid's Tale is widely accepted as science fiction -- at least in these parts. In fact, it's one of the few pieces of science fiction known to be treated with any seriousness by Lit. departments.

And here we start to split hairs a bit. If Plato can be "political-science fiction" why not subsume these others, including Handmaid's Tale under the rubric of "social-science fiction"?

And then what of Shelly, Poe, Vonnegut, William S. Burroughs and that host of others?

At best, science fiction is what we point to when we call it "science fiction".

Gotta' jet.

Mark

Story

I'll Lock Up
With the passing of Kirk Douglas, it's fitting to mention Jules Vernes' 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. There's a theory that Verne saw one of Winan's Cigar Ships being built in France, and this inspired his NAUTILUS.

http://home.att.net/~karen.crisafulli/CigarBoats.html
ILN1858sepia.gif

... which in turn, inspired the name for the USS NAUTILUS.
http://www.ussnautilus.org/

Art imitates life, life imitates art. lol

Dr Doran

Ugarte said:
And here we start to split hairs a bit. If Plato can be "political-science fiction" why not subsume these others, including Handmaid's Tale under the rubric of "social-science fiction"?

And then what of Shelly, Poe, Vonnegut, William S. Burroughs and that host of others?

Well, that's fine, I suppose. The definition seems a bit strict, but as you wish.

Vonnegut ... hmmm. I might think of Slaughterhouse 5 science fiction. His novel about the abstract painter annoyed me so much that I never went back to him. Cat's Cradle? I cannot remember the title. I'm fine with Lovecraft as science fiction but I cannot recall reading any Poe that fit well enough in that genre. Then again, Lovecraft's goal was horror, terror, etc.

As for Burroughs, I never got past Naked Lunch and then the disgusting "smell of ____ mucus" lines in Wild Boys.

Then you have Jorge Luis Borges ...

I would only want to avoid getting overly formulaic and demanding certain things for membership into the science fiction circle ... and I like things that bend genres.

But then again, you do as you wish.

I like the term "speculative fiction."

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
I, too, favor the term speculative fiction.
I do, however, find it is too general for that which expands and elaborates on scientific fact in the fictional format of "what if" or "what happens when." Therefore, authors such as Isaac Asimov write science fiction, but only some of Heinlein's earlier works could be said to be science fiction.
Fantasy, on the other hand, utilizes the mystic, magical, and mythological as its raison d'etre. It allows for the use of and creation of species, worlds, and transformations, but uses scientific facts more as one would use a tram - something to get from here to there, but a little fuzzy on the details of how. Here would be many of the works by Grandmaster Andre Norton.

I am interested to hear other voices on this topic.

Dixon Cannon

Story said:
With the passing of Kirk Douglas, it's fitting to mention Jules Vernes' 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA. There's a theory that Verne saw one of Winan's Cigar Ships being built in France, and this inspired his NAUTILUS.... which in turn, inspired the name for the USS NAUTILUS.
Art imitates life, life imitates art. lol

Oh, oh! Have I missed something?!! When did Kirk 'the chin' Douglas pass away? Is this being kept a Hollywood secret!

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner