Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any thoughts on Schott Style: 463? (U.S. Bison Delivery Jacket)

Mr.Bits

New in Town
Uh oh, I think I'm in love. Does anyone have any experience with this jacket or similar leathert?
I'm curious about how heavy and flexible this would be; after a reasonable amount of time. Any idea on break-in or patina vs. cow/steer or horse?
Thanks!

OVERVIEW
Known for its unique rustic grain, bison spend winters outdoors in harsh climates so their hide is naturally thicker than cows to provide them with more insulation.
  • 27' Back Length
  • Heavyweight but Soft Bison Leather
  • 100$ Wool Plaid Lining
  • Bi-Swing Back
  • Side Tabs at Waist
  • Double Entry Hand Warmer Pockets
  • External Chest and Internal Pockets
  • Adjustable Sleeve Cuffs
  • U.S.A.
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/schott-us-bison-delivery-jacket.htm

Uh oh, I think I'm in love. Does anyone have any experience with this jacket or similar leathert?
I'm curious about how heavy and flexible this would be; after a reasonable amount of time. Any idea on break-in or patina vs. cow/steer or horse?
Thanks!

OVERVIEW
Known for its unique rustic grain, bison spend winters outdoors in harsh climates so their hide is naturally thicker than cows to provide them with more insulation.
  • 27' Back Length
  • Heavyweight but Soft Bison Leather
  • 100$ Wool Plaid Lining
  • Bi-Swing Back
  • Side Tabs at Waist
  • Double Entry Hand Warmer Pockets
  • External Chest and Internal Pockets
  • Adjustable Sleeve Cuffs
  • U.S.A.
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/schott-us-bison-delivery-jacket.htm
I like this jacket. I think for the money Schott should’ve included a real mouton collar, even a removable one would’ve worked. The style itself is just superb. My *All-time favorite* vintage jacket, a rare survivor in my closet is this Windward, which this Schott is sort of based off of. The most wearable, warm and versatile jacket I’ve ever owned.
4CE63FC8-1417-46CD-BD4A-60BDCB323221.jpeg

I have the pocket flaps tucked in. I prefer the clean look. It’s the only jacket I own with a 90% compliment rate. I think Schott did a decent job recreating it. For $7-800, I’d be interested.

For the asking price though, it would be hard for me not to have Aero build a long HB, or HB deluxe in lieu of this Schott. That said, they don’t have any heavy Buffalo that I’m aware of.

As far as this hide goes for wear I can’t say. I did have some Horween Buffalo in Havana brown that seemed to lighten rather quickly.

CombatWombat

Familiar Face
I like this jacket. I think for the money Schott should’ve included a real mouton collar, even a removable one would’ve worked. The style itself is just superb. My *All-time favorite* vintage jacket, a rare survivor in my closet is this Windward, which this Schott is sort of based off of. The most wearable, warm and versatile jacket I’ve ever owned.
View attachment 441411
I have the pocket flaps tucked in. I prefer the clean look. It’s the only jacket I own with a 90% compliment rate. I think Schott did a decent job recreating it. For $7-800, I’d be interested.

For the asking price though, it would be hard for me not to have Aero build a long HB, or HB deluxe in lieu of this Schott. That said, they don’t have any heavy Buffalo that I’m aware of.

As far as this hide goes for wear I can’t say. I did have some Horween Buffalo in Havana brown that seemed to lighten rather quickly.
Ahh that Windward.....does the fur pop off that collar?
I've got one similar to it with the upper chest/shoulder panel that's kinda more decorative.....the best horsehide jacket I've ever owned and, like yours , one of the most complimented jackets I've owned

Ahh that Windward.....does the fur pop off that collar?
I've got one similar to it with the upper chest/shoulder panel that's kinda more decorative.....the best horsehide jacket I've ever owned and, like yours , one of the most complimented jackets I've owned
It’s fixed, not detachable. I’ve seen this style with a plain leather collar too. I think I k ow exactly which model you have, if I’m thinking right, with an angled set of panels at the front yoke?

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Great jacket and probably the most practical design of any halfbelt. The extra length also works on this jacket with this particular pocket configuration. On the expensive side for a Schott though. I'd be tempted to go the Ton route with a long halfbelt from Aero with a more "interesting" leather to my particular liking.

Edward

Bartender
Great jacket and probably the most practical design of any halfbelt. The extra length also works on this jacket with this particular pocket configuration. On the expensive side for a Schott though. I'd be tempted to go the Ton route with a long halfbelt from Aero with a more "interesting" leather to my particular liking.

The LHB is very much appealing to me these days too. Strangely, I didn't used to care for this sort of mid-length, but it really has grown on me, especially in a design with more of a cold-weather lining.

Mr.Bits

New in Town
Thanks for the info everyone. The photos were the cherry on top.
That Windward is a looker.
View attachment 441411

Fantastic looking leather you have there. I really like where it hits below the belt.

Mr.Bits

New in Town
The LHB is very much appealing to me these days too. Strangely, I didn't used to care for this sort of mid-length, but it really has grown on me, especially in a design with more of a cold-weather lining.
I hear you. I really like the shorter jackets, probably first got hooked on denim truckers. Perhaps the appeal comes from the desire to keep cool air from blowing directly on my waist. Also, I'm average height so this isn't so long that I end up looking like "baby-legs" Deadpool.

1659560283947.png

Edward

Bartender
I hear you. I really like the shorter jackets, probably first got hooked on denim truckers. Perhaps the appeal comes from the desire to keep cool air from blowing directly on my waist. Also, I'm average height so this isn't so long that I end up looking like "baby-legs" Deadpool.

View attachment 442337

It's overcoats I have more of an issue getting the right length... I'm only five-ten, but it seems that so many men's coat's these days stop above the knee. I prefer them at least on, or ideally about ten inches south of, my knees....

These mid length leathers are a cracking alternative to a blazer when it's too cold or wet for a sports jacket, and too warm for both blazer and overcoat...

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I had a 563 Delivery jacket in steer that I would surmise is the same pattern as this one. It is a very roomy pattern so you may want to call Schott make sure that the size you order is correct. Initially, I ordered a large but had to swap out for a medium. Even the medium allowed ample room for layering As there is no taper to the design. The back length came down just more than halfway on my rear jean pocket.

The roomier fit made the jacket very comfortable to wear; however, it looked a great deal looser on my body than I liked so I ended up selling it here on the classifieds.

The jacket was well made and the retail price at the time I purchased was $900 although I got a deal at 40% off through Orvis. I do feel that the jacket is fairly priced at $900 so you would have to decide if the buffalo is worth the upcharge.

The only complaint I had was the sleeves being about 1.5” too long. They were finished at what would have been a 35” shirt sleeve length on my arms. I eventually had to have them altered and this cost an additional $85.

CaptainFuzzy

New in Town
View attachment 441411

I’m in Chicago myself. I would LOVE any tips you have on finding this jacket and/or someone in town who can help me make one. Dream piece indeed :)

I’m in Chicago myself. I would LOVE any tips you have on finding this jacket and/or someone in town who can help me make one. Dream piece indeed :)
Add Windward leather jacket to your Etsy and eBay saved search list! They do appear now and again. There’s at least a dozen other keywords to throw in but these do come up occasionally. They are a bit scarce but not unobtainable.
Located in the western burbs. Maybe you can cut a deal:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/810997252/
8D3B0244-0D54-4928-B098-8D984BCE758A.jpeg

Craig from Craigslist

One of the Regulars
Schott has a sort of similarly styled jacket for sale at 500 right now if you're interested:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/leather-car-coat.htm?color=2&catID=20#tab-overview

Alternatively imo your best best is to probably go vintage. Going custom through Aero and the like is a non-trivial amount of extra money. This style with a mouton collar (and for me a fleece lining) has been a personal grail and when a wonderfully weathered jacket from Fidelity came through in the finds and deals thread I didn't wait lol. These styles come by less often than you'd think!

1667601901583.png

Schott has a sort of similarly styled jacket for sale at 500 right now if you're interested:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/leather-car-coat.htm?color=2&catID=20#tab-overview

Alternatively imo your best best is to probably go vintage. Going custom through Aero and the like is a non-trivial amount of extra money. This style with a mouton collar (and for me a fleece lining) has been a personal grail and when a wonderfully weathered jacket from Fidelity came through in the finds and deals thread I didn't wait lol. These styles come by less often than you'd think!

View attachment 462455
It was the last thing I needed but I was tempted by that one as well. Did you receive it? Thoughts and more pics?

CaptainFuzzy

New in Town
View attachment 441411

What’s the cost length on this one? :) I may be very interested!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk