Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any vintage alternatives to the trench coat?

TSP13

Familiar Face
I can't wear a trench coat to public school, I'm fifteen, are there any alternatives without huge lapels. Also I am short and thin. Size 36.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There are a ton of other styles of coat. What are you looking for? Long? Short? Single breasted? Double breasted?

Edward

Bartender
It's a miserable situation we're in when people are so shit scared of a piece of clothing …

The security arguments for naturalism are overwhelming.:eusa_doh:

Mn. Anyone would think that the coats were what enabled them to kill all those kids. Are trenchcoats specifically out, or is it any long coat?

Edward

Bartender
Well, to take it back to the OP, I think a Crombie-type would be both affordable but very cool.

If length is the problem, though, that would be out too... As I recall, the reason trenchcoats were banned in some US schools was the fear that kids would use them to smuggle in rifles. That being the case, logic would dictate all coats longer than the upper thigh are out. Not that I think there's much logic going on there anyhow, but...[huh]

Only the semi-automatic 'assault' trench coats with large capacity pockets.

lol

Tkecks

Familiar Face
short, thin, size 36... sounds like you're made for the vintage market! You could pick up a nice vintage peacoat quite easily at that size. I suppose they have big lapels... but popped up, they really help keep out the wind.

TSP13

Familiar Face
short, thin, size 36... sounds like you're made for the vintage market! You could pick up a nice vintage peacoat quite easily at that size. I suppose they have big lapels... but popped up, they really help keep out the wind.
I was thinking of going with something like this. I do prefer something sturdy and double breasted. And also one of my friends wore his blue military trenchcoat to school, and got a lot of weird looks. Several teachers questioned him because of it which is why I was looking for something else.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
I second the pea coat - it is quite in fashion now, doesn't look out of place, and you can still go vintage.

The trench/overcoat actually doesn't look very threatening when paired up with nice slacks, shoes, and a fedora...gives an air of taste and refinement. It does indeed look very different than a young kid with a black trench coat and sneakers.

What about something like this? I've always thought they were way more badass than typical trench coats.
dboil2.jpg

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
I actually wore a trench coat a few times in high school. Every time it was in a heavy downpour, so there were no odd looks. I usually stuck to a peacoat, or my dad's old leather jacket. But everyone there knew me for my "different" tastes in clothing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner