Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

martinsantos

Practically Family
Of course I can't say "I will write a masterpiece". In fact, I would be very happy to write something that I would be proudly about!

And the biggest problem I always find is that the stories turn "fake". Hard to discover this, as I like to use "real" stories (a lot of 'noir' material, as I work as a criminal lawyer, and now and then appears a proceding with all the drama, etc, I would need). Maybe the writing practice will turn something really good? Hum. Let's try.

But always me preferred writers look to appear within the text - even when not invited!

Just got a little book from a retired police officer, he just got what I wanted to do. His book has the "noir feelling", but is an actual, modern story, in his own place (São Paulo City, downtown), with his own style.

If I'm reading this right, it sounds like you're merely going through the same thing many writers encounter when they begin their journey.

Writing is an art and although nearly boundless, it does have its limitations such as language, grammar, style, etc. When piecing together a story, even a very short story, these limitations can, and typically do, play a huge role in the finished product. As you've noticed, you're shadowing (whether intentionally or otherwise) someone else's style, or use of language. That's to be expected. Just as you learn a craft from teachers, you must feel your way into writing, and you must grow around your own limitations.

From my own experience, and from the guiding hands I've encountered, you cannot simply sit down one day and decide you will write masterpieces in one particular style. In fact, you will find you must write 3 dozen novels that are utter rubbish before you notice that a style has emerged all on its own.

So I would suggest you go ahead and write these "carbon copy" stories of yours; play with them, do something unexpected, create little victories just for yourself, and then move on to the next story. Once you have tackled a few hills, you can really start climbing mountains. And don't worry if you're doing the same work as other rock climbers - that's just part of the game. You'll eventually figure out your own methods!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Right now, I'm on page 10 (takes me forever), of my own take on a fairy tale, featuring a little girl and the tin music box dancer that comes to life. The hard part is doing the whole thing in verse. I've been on a Victorian/Grimm/Steampunk kick, and little kids make the best protagonists (for me) for a myriad of reasons. A whole novel in verse just seems fun. I don't really write with an intention to finish, but if I actually finish this one I'd like to put it on various e-stores and see how it goes.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Pleased to announce that I was recently inducted into the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the professional society for independent, non-fiction book, magazine, and online writers. Membership is about 1,400 and entry requires publication of two books or at least six full-length feature articles published in national publications. (My three articles for Classic Style magazine put me over the top!)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Pleased to announce that I was recently inducted into the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the professional society for independent, non-fiction book, magazine, and online writers. Membership is about 1,400 and entry requires publication of two books or at least six full-length feature articles published in national publications. (My three articles for Classic Style magazine put me over the top!)

Congrats, Fred! Well done!!!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Right now, I'm on page 10 (takes me forever), of my own take on a fairy tale, featuring a little girl and the tin music box dancer that comes to life. The hard part is doing the whole thing in verse. I've been on a Victorian/Grimm/Steampunk kick, and little kids make the best protagonists (for me) for a myriad of reasons. A whole novel in verse just seems fun. I don't really write with an intention to finish, but if I actually finish this one I'd like to put it on various e-stores and see how it goes.

This sounds fascinating, but incredibly challenging. Good luck!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm pulling teeth with my novel right now. I know exactly how it needs to end, but getting myself to that point is extremely difficult. I think I'm dealing with some fear that I'll spoil the entire book by writing a bad ending, and I need to tell myself that even if I DO write a bad ending, I can always change it. That's the beauty of writing - editing!!!

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'm pulling teeth with my novel right now. I know exactly how it needs to end, but getting myself to that point is extremely difficult. I think I'm dealing with some fear that I'll spoil the entire book by writing a bad ending, and I need to tell myself that even if I DO write a bad ending, I can always change it. That's the beauty of writing - editing!!!

Write the ending you think you want now, work towards it, and revise it when you get there? Works for me.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Write the ending you think you want now, work towards it, and revise it when you get there? Works for me.

I'm thinking that's what I'll have to do. Getting myself to actually sit down and write it is proving to be tough. I need to bribe myself with chocolate or something... ;)

Pompidou

One Too Many
When I write, I'm as surprised as the reader as to what happens next. I don't plan ahead. Who knows what can happen when you venture out into the woods at night. Whatever seems like a good idea at the time gets written. Since I almost never change POVs, I like to think it keeps things flowing naturally. I haven't really planned any ending for my story.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I didn't really plan this story, either. It just sort of emerged on its own. First time I've really done that with a novel, and I've enjoyed the process. But different novels call for different planning with me. I had a WW2 thriller I was working on that I DIDN'T plan and I quit halfway through it because I'd created a huge mess. I later worked everything out on a piece of paper, but I still haven't written anymore on the novel itself.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... I think I'm dealing with some fear that I'll spoil the entire book by writing a bad ending, ... That's the beauty of writing - editing!!!

Argh! That's where I am right now! I finished that chapter I needed to add, but the ending to the story is so...I don't know, deus ex machina. This is such a good novel (IMHO), and it needs a real careful ending. As I read over my final chapter, it's as if I spun a globe and stopped it with my finger saying, "HERE!" or flipped through a great novel and said, "Aha, here's the ending. Page 128 of 360, perfect!"

Onward, upward!

BTW, congrats Fred! And any word on your progress, Jack?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have heard of so many writers being "stuck" right now. Is it because of the holidays and trying to get back into the work ethic? I think I finally broke through my blockage, but that was the other day. Who knows what tonight's writing session will hold!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Argh! That's where I am right now! I finished that chapter I needed to add, but the ending to the story is so...I don't know, deus ex machina. This is such a good novel (IMHO), and it needs a real careful ending. As I read over my final chapter, it's as if I spun a globe and stopped it with my finger saying, "HERE!" or flipped through a great novel and said, "Aha, here's the ending. Page 128 of 360, perfect!"

Onward, upward!

BTW, congrats Fred! And any word on your progress, Jack?

Is it a deus ex machina to allow the protagonist to succeed? If so, you might be able to pull off a really surprising ending by having the protagonist fail. When the climax looks bleakest for the protagonist, that's when everyone expects something crazy to happen. Maybe following through logically and catching the reader off guard would work? Sort of like a Bond villain just plain shooting Bond in the head when he has the chance.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is it a deus ex machina to allow the protagonist to succeed? If so, you might be able to pull off a really surprising ending by having the protagonist fail. When the climax looks bleakest for the protagonist, that's when everyone expects something crazy to happen. Maybe following through logically and catching the reader off guard would work? Sort of like a Bond villain just plain shooting Bond in the head when he has the chance.

I believe DEM can go both ways, so long as it's relatively abrupt and includes some kind of blatant surprise which turns the tides. Ironically, I did choose the "bad" ending, or at least in as much as the hero doesn't walk away from the scene (he's carried out). Sure, he lives, but for how long?

Normally, I would be fine with this ending, but the novel is so plodding and gradual that it seems a disservice to end it so quickly.

After I made my earlier post, I already started rewriting. I guess we'll just have to see where it goes.

Btw Pompidou, I think your book of verse sounds quite interesting. You'll have to keep us updated!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Being such a regimented format, all my chapters have the benefit of being exactly five pages of five stanzas, so it's not really bragging rights to have done another chapter, but I start chapter 4 today. It's all pretty cliche - introduction, trek through woods at night and haunted house. At first I thought this would be a cut and dry children's book - that was my intent - but now it's looking like it'll be relegated to that niche of children's books for adults. I have what'll be five characters when it's all said and done - the girl, her grandmother, the tin man from her music box, a fairy from her dreams, and a mad scientist. The problem as far as kids are concerned is that the tin man only speaks French. I vowed not to let 7 years of French class go to waste, but it's an uphill battle for sure. So, that's where I stand. My goal is 100 pages, or 20 chapters, because my sister had bought me a hundred page (counting two sides of a page) blank leather and parchment book from a museum store that looks right out of the middle ages, and once I get a quality e-copy, I'd like to do a hand copy monastic style. Lofty goals...

Derek WC

Banned
I've written a few poems throughout the years. Here's one I wrote yesterday:

To My Beloved
When you talk to me, a smile appears on my face
When I look at you I feel as if sitting next to a fireplace.

Your smile so sweet,
your glance so tender,
when your beau came to meet
I felt as if placed in a blender.

Alas, you are not mine,
my love no longer shines.
If only I'd have been told
that you have a beau.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've written a few poems throughout the years. Here's one I wrote yesterday:

To My Beloved
When you talk to me, a smile appears on my face
When I look at you I feel as if sitting next to a fireplace.

Your smile so sweet,
your glance so tender,
when your beau came to meet
I felt as if placed in a blender.

Alas, you are not mine,
my love no longer shines.
If only I'd have been told
that you have a beau.

You've got a better grasp of complex meters than I do. Every stanza of mine pretty much matches, "Mary had a little lamb. It's fleece was white as snow. Everywhere that Mary went. Her lamb was sure to go." I just keep doing that over and over. If you're not married yet, poems like yours won't have you waiting long. If you are, drop one on the pillow and I'd bet you'll be allowed another hat.

Shooting for St. Valentine's Day release right now, but it might be more like the end of Feb. Not only does the print business run at a snail's pace, but publishing a quality book, I've learned, is incredibly hard work; there are things that can go wrong at every step of the way, and they have. As I said, I did have a product in December, but the POD model just wasn't happening. The technology just isn't there to produce quality hardcovers, and now I know why they won't sell them in stores.

At this point, I just want to get Mixing Girls out just so I can start working on the next book. I haven't written anything since the summer. Onward.

Regards,

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW