Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AmateisGal said:
A literary agency with a vintage-looking website...

http://www.maxliterary.org/

I've never heard of these guys before, but Jack, have you looked into them?

:eek:

That's who I sent my one and only query letter to!!! lol

All this rubbish I've been typing since a week ago (07/30) about the agency I had sent a query letter to, and the whole part about them asking for more up front than other agencies - yeah, that's these guys.

They really look amazing, and they are RIGHT up my alley. You should look over their site; they're pretty helpful and have some cool pictures (among other things). I'm hoping they accept me!! :D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wow, how weird is that? Yeah, it's an awesome site.

They wouldn't be a good match for me at all, but I hope you score big with them!

No, I did not know about Max Literary, but they are definitely getting a query first thing in the morning. Thanks for that lead!

120k words is too long? What kinda agent are they? Many classical masterpieces were twice that! What do you suppose Moby Dick clocked in at? It was something like 800 pages - and I loved it!

To twist Dorothy Parker's 'I hate writing. I love having written,' it can be said that the modern reader 'hates reading, but loves having said 'I read.' I really feel people aren't reading books for enjoyment these days but just to feel smart. So they can say, 'I read that,' at a dinner party. It shouldn't matter if a book is 50,000 or 250,000 words. If it's well-written, the reader shouldn't be thinking, 'I just want to finish this book.' Every agent that's said to me, 'This is too long,' I just want to ask, 'What are you doing in this business? It's obvious you don't enjoy reading.'

Regards,

Jack

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
To twist Dorothy Parker's 'I hate writing. I love having written,' it can be said that the modern reader 'hates reading, but loves having said 'I read.' I really feel people aren't reading books for enjoyment these days but just to feel smart. So they can say, 'I read that,' at a dinner party. It shouldn't matter if a book is 50,000 or 250,000 words. If it's well-written, the reader shouldn't be thinking, 'I just want to finish this book.' Every agent that's said to me, 'This is too long,' I just want to ask, 'What are you doing in this business? It's obvious you don't enjoy reading.'

Well said. A good book should make the reader grieve that it's over.

Undertow

Good point Jack, and extra point to Lizzie as well! :arated:

I remember finishing books like The House of Leaves or Lolita and just aching at my core because I knew it was over. I never once looked at the page number and thought, "What a good boy I am!" :rolleyes:

This mindset of status vs. actual-enrichment is manifested across many fields, and part of the reason we have so many scarecrows inhabiting society. Other areas of the FL address this: from cheap felt hats that cost $300 to badly cut suits clocking in around $1k, to nice leather shoes going to seed because men no longer understand the art of shoe polishing. [huh]

We're a dying breed, I'm afraid.

Undertow

Caleb Moore said:
Or Roger Ebert: "No good movie is too long, no bad movie is short enough".

Well...there once was a film titled Zombi 3, which was so utterly horrendous, poorly visualized, nearly zero plot, atrocious acting and perhaps one of the world's worst films ever created...

I wished it had been longer! I laughed throughout the entire picture, and I kept thinking, "Man, this couldn't possibly get any worse!"

While after nine months of queries I'm inured to most rejections, some still hurt. Sent an email query to Max Lit on Sat morning and by the afternoon, we already had several exchanges. I knew it could go either way as he explained that reading my query was a roller coaster of 'yeses and noes', and even though I prepared myself for a 'no', and got it the next day, there was a lot of stomping and slamming around the house, a bottle of Tabasco sauce somehow becoming a casualty in the mayhem.

Reading through their site, I had been thinking 'this guy's going to get it, understand what I'm doing,' and he did, telling me I shouldn't change a comma of my work, but then he went on to say my style just isn't something he's keen on, which i completely understand. The fact is that the simple telling of a story in a literary manner, a la Graham Greene or Anthony Burgess, is out. Having any sort of personal literary style is out. Anything that reeks of a writer actually thinking about the words he's using is out. And though I'm not the type to drop in $10 words for the sake of using a $10 word, the use of ANY word no longer in general use (meaning one you won't hear on 'The Bachelor or American Idol') is thought to be haughty and unprofessional, and that's even if it happens to the absolute right word for the period. (Of course, Anthony Burgess would have NEVER been published today as most of his books read like the 20 volume OED.)

Well, I sent a reply to request reconsideration, but I fear that's not going to happen. I guess it's back to sending queries to the twenty-something blondes who now run the publishing biz.

Regards,

Jack

Actually, a buddy of mine has a 1930s-setting urban-fantasy novel coming out next year, and as soon as he mentioned it I told him to check this joint out as a research resource.

If anyone's interested, the book is Hard Magic, the first of Larry Correia's "Grimnoir Chronicles". I don't even like fantasy-ish stuff, but if it blends the same grade of action and quirky humor as his last book with my favorite slice of history I'm game...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Incredible...just incredible. What is wrong with these agents? Why are they not actively looking for stuff that is good, and not just "in"? No wonder the self-publishing biz is exploding.

I'm tired of it, too. At last count, 55 rejections.

So sorry about this, Jack.

That's just it. That's why I thought he'd get me, because they're definitely not looking for 'in' over there. He even gave me credit for not mentioning 'Mad Men' in my letter, which, now that I think about it, I should have been doing in all my previous queries. :eusa_doh: (Even though Mixing Girls is set in '53 rather than the 60s.)

It was just a matter of the style not being right for him. He thought it distant, which is, of course, what I had been going for: the invisible author. So, in a sense, he understood my angle but it just isn't one he likes.

Regards,

Jack

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
If anything, he should show it to the other agents because if that's what they're all about - not going for the "in" stuff - and your stuff simply didn't float his boat, it might be the perfect fit for someone else at the agency.

Feraud

Bartender
AmateisGal said:
No wonder the self-publishing biz is exploding.

Speaking of which.. does anyone self-publish?
This seems the perfect option for those looking to publish after getting the run around from traditional publishing houses.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I used to work for one of the major self-publishers (and now I freelance for them), so I know the ins and outs of it.

It is a great thing for those who just want to see their book in print. But for those who really want to build a following and make some major sales, you are in for a very difficult road. You have to do 100% of the marketing yourself, unless you hire the marketing services offered by the self-publisher (and that is NOT cheap) and then, they will only do a small portion of it.

Plus, the overall quality of a lot of these self-published books is nowhere near those of traditionally-published books. I know this first-hand because I used to write back cover copy for these books and had to look through the manuscripts themselves. I've done well over 1,000 titles and of those, maybe 5% were written well and didn't require a ton of editing. They also are not the same quality with cover design, etc., except for a precious few.

The only way I would ever consider self-publishing is if I just wanted to see my book in print and had no desire to make a career out of it. It's a great alternative for family histories or memoirs or if you don't have to make money at it.

That all being said, there are exceptions to this rule. Some of our authors did fairly well - but I could count on one hand those that were considered "bestsellers" by the bestseller standards.

Feraud, that sometimes works--when MHI was self-published, Larry spread the word to a bunch of his gunboard buddies, and we in turn spread it far and wide, and after a few months of shocking sales Toni at Baen bought it and went mass-market.

So, if you SP, spread the word on every vintage/retro/period-oriented board you're a part of...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112