Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody familiar with Ace Boots, Orange Co. USA?

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Hi guys. Not much of a poster on this site. But I always enjoy checking in on occasion and learning more about high quality motorcycle gear.

I ride with a Vanson Continental Comet and an old Schott Perfecto and I learned more about them here.

I happened upon a pair of great engineer boots at local thrift shop today. Very high quality and definitely all the touchtones of a handmade product. I was able to find their website, Ace Boots of Orange Co. Calif. I'm in L.A., so it makes sense these would be consigned at a local shop here. But it looks like their website is not being refreshed with new content.

Anybody familiar with these boots and if they ever built up a following? Seems like they definitely should have. This is the model I'm eyeballing. Yes in this great brown leather. :)

d0121303_12581022_zpsfe6130a7.jpg

Update: I went ahead and bought them. They were just too nice to let sit at the thrift shop.

IMG_1720_zpsd9b2ec39.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Thanks for taking a look guys. They definitely look and feel like $800 boots. I am going to hold off on wearing them on the bike for now. I messaged the Ace Boots website to see if they are still up and running and if they have any care instructions and additional information.

It would be a shame if they went out of business. You just don't see this type of quality very much anymore. Oh, and they do fit, but a little big. I'm a 10 and they are 10.5, but thicker socks or insoles should do the trick. : )

Here's a few more pics to give you an idea what these guys are like:

Triple stitching, and nice tooling:

IMG_1743_zps6778c4ab.jpg

And looking good with jeans (around the house for now):
IMG_1745_zpsa1ab6839.jpg

And a top shot:
IMG_17372_zps8dc224da.jpg

53Effie

A-List Customer
Thanks for the additional pictures. Those are really nice and appear to be brand new and very well constructed. I particularly like the strap placement. Why can't I ever run across anything like this? Born under a bad sign, I guess.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
That's a huge score. Isn't Himel using these for his future release "cordovan" engineers?

Btw what size are they? ;)

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
10.5, as mentioned above, Bretron. ;)

The boot maker, Robert Medillin was kind enough to return my email. Turns out he's still making boots and filling orders as they come in small batches here in the U.S. I believe he said he's also continuing to fill orders in Japan.

If any of yall are interested, I'm not affiliated with Robert. But I must say, I am one lucky duck to score some of his fine workmanship. He recommends Cadillac brand boot and shoe care lotion for these, by the way.

Here's a link to Robert's Instagram. Scroll down about halfway and take a look at what his Engineers look like broken in with a lil patina. Just lovely.

http://instagram.com/acebootco

537ff6b00b9a11e3bcaf22000a1fbcb3_7_zps6ce84652.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Cool indeed. Thanks for the compliments. I'm starting the wear-in process today. Gonna put a little sleeve over the shifter of my bike to protect the boot against a shifter mark and do my regular daily commute with them. Though, after the boot gets a little patina, like below, I'll let a mark work in as well. :)

537ff6b00b9a11e3bcaf22000a1fbcb3_7_zps6ce84652.jpg

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
So how did the first day of break in go? I would just love to know how they ended up in a thrift store. I'll bet it's an interesting story.

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Went really well, actually. Thanks for asking. Surprisingly comfortable for being essentially brand new. And those Cat's Paw soles are nice and sticky when I have to back my bike out of the garage.

I rigged up a shifter condom on my Harley to keep the boots from getting marked at this point. I don't want the shifter mark to dominate the patina of the boots. Just some thumb supports I had in my medicine cabinet. Worked like a charm. Later, when the boots are broken in a bit, and showing some nice wear, then I'll let the shifter have at em. haha.

Nice Heritage you got there in your avatar, by the way.

Shifter condom:
IMG_1129_zps02e5bfcb.jpg

And no damage to the boots after the ride:
IMG_1130_zps55db81f1.jpg

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good idea with shifter pad. Boots look great. It's hard to tell from the small avatar photo, but my bike is actually a Softail Deluxe. When I bought it, I had actually gone to look at and try out a Slim. I wanted one in gloss black, which the shop didn't have in stock. I tried out the Deluxe and it just felt like it was made for me and that was it. Lots of fun.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have trouble posting photos, but I'll try. 20121014_143146.jpg DSC00107.jpg Here is the Deluxe and the Nightster I traded off on it. I have added a solo bag to the Deluxe, but so far that is the only non-stock item.

Last edited:

Mr Peabody

One of the Regulars
Recently bought a pair of Ace Brand Engineer Boots in black and they are the best looking Engineer Boot I have so far. Just a classic look. Long ankle straps. Black oxford with Vibram cushion sole and a leather split half sole and cat's paw heel.
I need a pair of brown in size 9 now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ