Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody trust etsy?

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
Hi all. I want a custom b-15 leather bomber jacket, but after reaching out to various sites (aero, falcon, fivestar leather, cockpit USA) nobody wants to make it. i found a seller on etsy (i can post a link if later if that's allowed) that is willing to make what i want for only 600 USD. their store is full of leather goods (bags, jackets, etc.) and they're based in toronto, but I am unsure as to what to look for in terms of quality. Just looking for a bit of advice please!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
5* doesn't want to do something like that? I'm surprised, because at least in the past they were willing to do anything as long as you provided good pictures and measurements.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I do but I'm careful which stores I buy from.
I guess it all depends on who the seller is.

hideshandcrafted, they have 100% positive feedback and a lot of sales

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

hideshandcrafted, they have 100% positive feedback and a lot of sales
Looks legit to me, but selling mostly bags and wallets. I'd preferred a jacket-focused maker if I was getting a custom jacket.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
Looks legit to me, but selling mostly bags and wallets. I'd preferred a jacket-focused maker if I was getting a custom jacket.
yeah that what has me worried. I reached out and he seemed confident but there's only a couple of pictured reviews with jackets. Not sure about the quality, but from a glance it doesn't look to be top notch

3.14nche

One of the Regulars
It does look legit.
They even have a 'real' store
Their bags look nice, not sure about their jackets.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
It does look legit.
They even have a 'real' store
Their bags look nice, not sure about their jackets.
there's only a couple of pics. Not sure about the quality to be honest

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The Toronto shop is legit but their jacket is most likely not made in Toronto at that price point.

Are you planning a leather B-15? Or fabric one? The sandwiched lining on the B/C/D is really more practical than the alpaca one on the first one. I would suggest short fur shearling over alpaca. I am a wool guy but I find even the Japanese alpaca quite itchy.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
The Toronto shop is legit but their jacket is most likely not made in Toronto at that price point.

Are you planning a leather B-15? Or fabric one? The sandwiched lining on the B/C/D is really more practical than the alpaca one on the first one. I would suggest short fur shearling over alpaca. I am a wool guy but I find even the Japanese alpaca quite itchy.
leather, but i don't want full shearling for the interior

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
leather, but i don't want full shearling for the interior
leather b15 will be very cool. Which one are you planning to do, B15A/B/C/D? I am a B15C guy myself. The A and B has the cool asymmetrical front zip but the C has the bigger wind flap which is quite practical. These jackets are quite roomy up top, with the sleeves going in at a T and huge V taper from shoulder/chest down to waist. And wears like trucker jacket length. The sandwiched nylon/wool cotton batting lining is a lot easier to use than the alpaca one imo.
ab vs cd.jpg

big drop.jpg

I will echo what others have said. 5Star would be the first choice for this build because it's military and because of his price. But if he doesn't do it, Johnson can get it done for you. It will be more expensive of course. But you can use Horween leather. If horsehide, get a sample of their Horween Vermont, it drapes very well, very suitable for this type of application. Or if you want to go navy B-15C, they have the navy Horween Essex, you might have to get that skived down to 2.25oz though, so it doesn't feel too bulky. And NOS Crown zipper, you can get one from Photo2u, he's in Cali and can drop ship the zip to JL for the build, less than getting one from Mash JP. I had been wanting to get a B-15C/MA-1 in leather myself but I just haven't been able to figure out how to go about it. Can't wait to see your jacket pics.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
leather b15 will be very cool. Which one are you planning to do, B15A/B/C/D? I am a B15C guy myself. The A and B has the cool asymmetrical front zip but the C has the bigger wind flap which is quite practical. These jackets are quite roomy up top, with the sleeves going in at a T and huge V taper from shoulder/chest down to waist. And wears like trucker jacket length. The sandwiched nylon/wool cotton batting lining is a lot easier to use than the alpaca one imo.
View attachment 553870
View attachment 553872

I will echo what others have said. 5Star would be the first choice for this build because it's military and because of his price. But if he doesn't do it, Johnson can get it done for you. It will be more expensive of course. But you can use Horween leather. If horsehide, get a sample of their Horween Vermont, it drapes very well, very suitable for this type of application. Or if you want to go navy B-15C, they have the navy Horween Essex, you might have to get that skived down to 2.25oz though, so it doesn't feel too bulky. And NOS Crown zipper, you can get one from Photo2u, he's in Cali and can drop ship the zip to JL for the build, less than getting one from Mash JP. I had been wanting to get a B-15C/MA-1 in leather myself but I just haven't been able to figure out how to go about it. Can't wait to see your jacket pics.
thanks for the in-depth reply. I'm getting a leather one in the style you posted, and am waiting to hear from Johnson. I was thinking goat, but if you think horsehide is a good choice, i can inquire about that

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If you want goatskin get goatskin. There are different ones too, shrunken grain, or heavyweight like elk, or smooth crystal grain ones. I suggested Vermont because 1 I’m Horween fan, 2 I’m horsehide fan. But those are very biased personal opinions. It sounds like you know what you want but just can’t find one to do it for you. I’m still shocked Shawn didn’t take this project, his loss.
All this B-15 talk and the BR MA1 jacket posted recently got me thinking about a leather B15C Mod with a snap on fur collar to make it both B15C and Mod. I thought I was done buying this season. Maybe I’ll sell some jackets to make room.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Stick with cloth. Its not a leather jacket. There are plenty of other leather jackets similar enough to choose from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner