Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else can't bring themselves to wear vintage/used shoes ?....

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I might wear vintage inside or something. Otherwise I'm too afraid of damaging it. There's lots of decent used shoes that fit the bill.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Gottcha. If you're not wearing them in intemperate climates like rain, snow, etc., and they're in good condition, you really don't need to worry. I take streetcars, buses and walk a lot, so I get your concern; I too try and spare my primo vintage shoes from the general wear of daily knocking about.

Vintage shoes will tend to wear out faster than new ones, but if you make sure to rotate which pair you wear, take care of them (polish/moisturize, use shoe bags and shoe trees, etc.) you'd be surprised at their longevity. I have some vintage kicks, that I wear on a very regular basis, which I've had for years.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I have quite a few used pairs, normally only very lightly used (I suspect some of them were worn once for a wedding, and probably bought for that event by someone who normally lives in gutties). I was once given a pair of shoes my brother had finished with, for wearing at the building supplies place I worked in at the time. Took a couple of days to wear the insole into the shape of my own feet. After that, not a problem. The only concern I'd have about vintage shoes is leather drying out and cracking. I have one Forties pair of co-respondants I've not yet worn for this very reason.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with the thinking that a previously worn hat has more kooties than previously worn shoes or boots. I wear heavy socks with my shoes and boots. I wear nothing between a hat sweat and my head. There is a thread on the hat forum regarding mites. I do not go through the trouble to clean hats before wearing them but I do let them sit in the freezer over night. I have about a dozen pair of vintage Western boots and leather shoes. I try to only purchase ones that do not have a lot of wear and only buy boots and shoes made by the best craftsmen with top arch support and materials. With use and sometimes some stretching of the boots, the foot wear does conform to my feet. I have seen electronic devises advertised that are placed in foot wear for an hour after each wearing to zap any mold

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
As far as the shaped-to-the-previous-owner's-foot beds go, I usually put inserts into all my shoes so that wouldnt be a problem. Still, I have yet to seriously consider wearing someone else's shoes.

Shoes are a very personal item and as far as shaped to another's foot pattern there is a question of wear. The way i wear my heels down is different than others so walking in a pair of shoes that are worn may make me get new heels for the old shoes.

Marla

A-List Customer
I gladly wear vintage shoes when I find them in mint condition. There seems to be no shortage of vintage shoes in my small size, but most are well-worn even if the outside is scuff-free. Leather shoes can only be broken in once, and once they've formed to the wearer's foot there's no changing it. If a leather shoe has been broken in by someone else it won't wear comfortably even if the marked shoe size is correct. The shoes may fit, but after even a few minutes of walking it becomes obvious they're someone else's shoes! Unfortunately, leather shoes are not as transferable as clothes.

But, vintage shoes are incomparable in styling, so when I come across an unworn pair I snatch them up!

YETI

A-List Customer
Fortunately, most of my shoes are/were deadstock. It just occurred to me...I gotta post something for my avatar.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have no problem with used shoes, although I prefer to have a close look at them if I plan to buy them that way. Don't like unusual wear, odors, etc. My feet are bigger than most guys (14d), so it's not all that often that I find NEW shoes that look good, let alone used.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I have no problem with used shoes, although I prefer to have a close look at them if I plan to buy them that way. Don't like unusual wear, odors, etc. My feet are bigger than most guys (14d), so it's not all that often that I find NEW shoes that look good, let alone used.

I hear you. I'm a 14-D as well, so if you want any selection, opening your horizons to used ones is a must.

Besides, what's the big deal if they fit well and are clean and comfortable? I think we Americans as a whole are too snooty about wearing used clothing. If I were to suddenly become fabulously wealthy, I'd STILL buy and wear used clothes. In a world of disposability and gross waste, i feel it's the thing to do.

I've acquired some very nice shoes over the past few years, almost all of them vintage or just plain used (or, that one recently acquired old but unworn -- hence not used -- pair).

My only caveats are that a person be honest with himself about condition and fit. (Which applies to secondhand/vintage attire in general, of course.) No sense in owning shoes you can't wear. I have a few oversized pairs which fit quite comfortably with the addition of padded insoles and/or thick socks. But there ain't much to be done about shoes more than just slightly undersized. (They stretch only so much, which isn't much at all.) Leave 'em for the person they might better fit.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I actually have only 2 or 3 pairs of vintage shoes, I just can't find what I am looking for in my price range.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Totally into used cowboy boots made by individual craftsmen [sorry no craftswoman's boot in my collection so far]. Best fitting pair I own were made to measure for someone else, and those boots flew on Air Force 1, but they fit me like they were made for me. I have no problem wearing boots made for others --socks are part of the deal you know.

One thing I draw the line at; used underwear, won't go there.

latinmajorac

New in Town
I have 3 pairs of used shoes, and they aren't even that 'vintage" i love each pair for different reasons and would not trade them for anything! Oddly enough, i refuse to wear rented bowling shoes. too gross... if i buy used shoes, i clean, polish and shoe tree them for a week before they go on, except for quick sizing when i get them.

odd i know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy