Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else collect vintage makeup? Post pics!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I find mine at antique malls and fairs. I find they are usually a steal compared to Ebay, but that could be based on location and the knowledge of the person selling them.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I both collect and resell vintage compacts and cosmetics, and I only remove the original makeup if it's absolutely necessary - like if a powder well lid is loose and getting old makeup EVERYWHERE, or if a lipstick is really grotty. For me, seeing the old colors and smelling the original fragrances adds to the appeal. You can find some good bargains on ebay, but like Retro_GI_Jane pointed out, that's only if the seller doesn't really know the value and jack the price.

I just blogged about vintage Avon compacts and lipsticks. Having the original makeup present definitely made them more valuable to me.

crwritt

One Too Many
I both collect and resell vintage compacts and cosmetics, and I only remove the original makeup if it's absolutely necessary - like if a powder well lid is loose and getting old makeup EVERYWHERE, or if a lipstick is really grotty. For me, seeing the old colors and smelling the original fragrances adds to the appeal. You can find some good bargains on ebay, but like Retro_GI_Jane pointed out, that's only if the seller doesn't really know the value and jack the price.

I just blogged about vintage Avon compacts and lipsticks. Having the original makeup present definitely made them more valuable to me.

So in regard to the Dunhill Vanity, if it is more interesting to a collector with the cosmetics still in it, I won't clean it. Now that I have some hint of what it is worth, I would like to sell it for a price fair to myself and to the buyer. Where should I start, finding a buyer?

MetalDetector

New in Town
Hello - I am not a collector of makeup but I did find the following case of eye shadow with my metal detector a few days ago. Does anyone have an idea of the age and or value of this? The area I found it dates back to about 1880 but I have a feeling this is from the 1920's - 1940's. It is somewhat creepy that there are finger prints preserved in the makeup from someone who may no longer be with us...

Thanks for any comments.
MD

*Sorry I guess I am not allowed to post pictures??? Here are links to the pictures from my original post on TreasureNet. I hope this is OK.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=454054.0;attach=756871
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=454054.0;attach=756872

Last edited:

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Hello - I am not a collector of makeup but I did find the following case of eye shadow with my metal detector a few days ago. Does anyone have an idea of the age and or value of this? The area I found it dates back to about 1880 but I have a feeling this is from the 1920's - 1940's. It is somewhat creepy that there are finger prints preserved in the makeup from someone who may no longer be with us...

Thanks for any comments.
MD

*Sorry I guess I am not allowed to post pictures??? Here are links to the pictures from my original post on TreasureNet. I hope this is OK.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=454054.0;attach=756871
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=454054.0;attach=756872

Just by looking at the lady embossed on the lid, I would say 30s. What a great find!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Great pictures!
I attended an estate sale from a lady that used to collect compacts back in her youth.
Wanted to share a few pictures :)

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

Wow, those photos are amazing, but those prices have my jaw dropping! Here in Texas I never pay more than $5 for a compact. I'm a cheapskate! :lol:

IartFashion

New in Town
Wow, those photos are amazing, but those prices have my jaw dropping! Here in Texas I never pay more than $5 for a compact. I'm a cheapskate! :lol:

No, I know what you mean.
I purchased some vintage perfume bottles and did not have enough for any compacts, the prices were.....well pricey

MetalDetector

New in Town
Thanks LizzieMaine - I appreciate the info and guidence with posting pictures. Do you think I should attempt to shine it up? I know with antique coins they tell you not to clean it since patina and silver "rainbowing" is actually a good thing on coins. Not sure if I should leave this alone or not.

OK vintage make-up collectors, I have a question - I was talking with my Grandma a few days ago about her beauty routine (she was a teenager in the fifties) and she mentioned that she used to wear two colours of lipstick - pink string and sealing wax. Do any of you have any information on those lipsticks? I would love to see what kind of colours they were... I have pictures of my Grandma from that time, but of course in black and white! She wasn't sure on the brand, but this was 1950s London, if that's any help. Thought some of you collectors might know!

Thanks a lot!

Emy
xxx

p.s. If you want to read any of her memories, you can have a look here

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
ThemThereEyes
I have seen that compact before, but I can't remember anything about it. It must be from the late 1910s - 1920s. Do you have photos of the inside?

Highball Emy
Here's the Yardley ad from the mid 1960s, it's the biggest image I could find.
a9u70o.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ