Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else dreading the new Indiana Jones film?

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Truthfully, I am looking forward to seeing the film. However, I'm someone whose interest in wearing fedoras has nothing to do with those films. I wear fedoras every day and everywhere I go. I rarely get comments about Indiana Jones, probably because I tend to dress in a more elegant manner than pairing it with a leather jacket. Still, I'm worried that the film will provoke comparisons.

I always find it odd that so many people think we wear hats because we are trying to look or be like someone. The only person I'm trying to look or be like is me. The fedora matches my self image.

I might have to dust off my Homburg for a while to avoid these issues.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
ScottyBlues, I, for one, understand your reluctance regarding the release of the new Indiana Jones film and the likely endless stream of comments regarding our choice of hats that will undoubtedly follow. It seems that many identify the wearing of specific styles of mens hats with film characters in general, and with Indy, of course, being the primary subject. "What's up with the Indiana Jones look?" I got that comment from my boss a few months back when I wore my flight jacket and a fedora to work one day, and he commented about me looking like an FBI Agent "out of the 50's" when I wore a Gray Trench and appropriate headwear sometime later. I would usually take that as a compliment coming from anyone else, but in this case it was intended as anything but. I'm not trying to be anyone different that I am everyday! Time to grow a thicker skin and wear those fedoras with pride, regardless of what comments we may recieve from those less informed! I, for one, cannot wait to see the new Indiana Jones film and will make it a family event next weekend.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I rarely get the Indiana Jones comments... I'm sure I'll get more after the film, but it doesn't really bother me.

The way I see it, the more popular the film is, the more popular fedoras will become. The more popular fedoras become, the more quality options I hope we'll have in modern hats, both off the shelf and custom.

Best,
Anj

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I suspect that this film will solidify the already growing acceptance of fedoras amongst men (and women!) today. It doesn't matter to me why a person wears a fedora, we all started somewhere, for some reason. I myself went out and bought an IJ knock-off after seeing the first release - I wore in through Europe for six months, and proudly.

I'm willing to bet that a whole new generation will see that Indy hat and want one and, having seen us unabasedly exhibiting ours, will wear that IJ with pride. They may be the next wave of FLoungers too!

Whether we like it or accept it, Indiana Jones has a measure of responsibility for the interest in Fedoras and for the inspiration for wearing one for many, many people. There will always be people whose first reaction is "Indiana Jones!" If it wasn't that it would be "Sam Spade!" or "Jimmy Durante!" (..would you prefer that one!?) I don't care about it.

Let's try this; when we see these new kids sporting their new IJ knockoffs, let's be the first to respond with, "Hey!.. great lookin' lid kid! It suits ya! Wonder what that would look like in a grey!? Are you on the Fedora Lounge yet?" That might help break the perceived stigma maybe!

-dixon cannon

deanglen

I'm one of those who cringes from "Hey, Indy!" comments, and considering that I have been getting into crew caps lately, that film will probably only solidify my present departure from fedora wearing, for the forseeable future.

dean

bolthead

deanglen said:
I'm one of those who cringes from "Hey, Indy!" comments, and considering that I have been getting into crew caps lately, that film will probably only solidify my present departure from fedora wearing, for the forseeable future.

dean

Hey Dean, long time....no see. How've you been? Good to see you back. :D

Big Man

I dislike the stupid "hey, Indy" type comment (although I've only received maybe one of those), but tend to agree with the (so far) majority of the posts here and think that, overall, it will lead to increased fedora wearing (which is good for us all).

However, the new Indy movie just may not have the "impact" that the first one did. I remember when "Last of the Mohicans" came out. That movie served as a tremendous stimulus for 18th century reenacting (specifically the frontier/longhunter aspect). But, several years later when "The Patriot" came out, it had no (or very little) impact on the 18th century reenacting hobby.

So, who knows what (if any) impact the new Indy movie will have on hats. [huh]

donCarlos

Practically Family
Big Man said:
But, several years later when "The Patriot" came out, it had no (or very little) impact on the 18th century reenacting hobby.

So, who knows what (if any) impact the new Indy movie will have on hats. [huh]
I think that´s because it´s quite ok to feel like 30´s or 40´s, or even go further and adopt some 19´th century ideas, but wouldn´t you feel like a madman, going through the town in your favourite tricorne hat?

I´m not really glad that they are about to release the new Indy movie now, because it slightly reduces the choice of my summer clothing, if I don´t want to hear the "indy comments". But I think I´ll get used to it :)

RPeers

One of the Regulars
I definitely am looking forward to seeing IJ but I think that my dark brown royal biltmore may get shelved in favour of my short brimmed gray mallory for the tim being just to avoid those "hey indy" comments

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
deanglen said:

dean

Hey!!! Hello my absent and missed friend!!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My Federation Deluxe will go into a box May 21 and return when the coast is clear, whenever that is. Hate those Indy comments. And mine has been modified so it looks quite different.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
Hey, I love the IJ movies not because of the hat but because they are entertaining.....

As far as the hat I wear, I wear it for me which in my case has nothing to do with the movie.
But If you do wear a fedora because of the movie....more power to you

Whatever works for you........

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I mean, really, should I sue Spielberg?

Yeah, I really am kind of dreading it. I don't get a lot of the Indiana Jones comments at this point because most folks have forgotten the details, and I do wear various hats. But consider the following:

- I'm a geologist, and some people seem to confuse that with archaeologist.

- I've been wearing fedoras or other felt hats for a long time, influenced partly by old movies and books, and started doing dimensional cuts on them myself well before the first I.J. movie came out. For practical reasons, wanting less for the wind or branches to grab while giving more shade in front and rear. At one time I hought I invented that!

- I've been wearing khaki shirts with epaluettes from military surplus and L.L. Bean since the early 1970's, again for practical reasons.

- I recently began wearing the brass-buckle officer's webbing belt, since I was tired of the nylon kind slipping or taking a set, and remembering how well the kind I used to wear in ROTC worked...only later to discover that good old I.J. wears that too. I'd never noticed that detail.

- I usually wear 6" Red Wing boots for work and most outdoor tramps, having gotten thoroughly tired of tracking in dirt from cleated hiking boots or cleaning crap off the bottom. Now Jones doesn't wear the same make, but most folks would never notice the difference.

- When birdwatching or walking dogs, I'll often carry an over-the-shoulder bag. No, not a gas mask bag, usually nylon, but I used to use green canvas gas mask bags for rock samples and while fossil collecting.

- I've liked zip-front leather jackets with no elastic since I first saw one on my dad in an old picture taken on Mt. Whitney in the late 1930's. Looked almost exactly like Indy's, pockets and all, only the movies hadn't been made when I began searching for something comparable. Now I've ended up with a Wested, not because of the danged movies (I've only seen two of them, once, when they first came out) but because it is the closest thing to what I wanted since I saw my dad's picture.

The only thing that saves me here is the absence of a whip and revolver. So should I sue Spielberg & Co. for stealing my style?

- Bill

Big Man

donCarlos said:
I think that´s because it´s quite ok to feel like 30´s or 40´s, or even go further and adopt some 19´th century ideas, but wouldn´t you feel like a madman, going through the town in your favourite tricorne hat? ...

I believe you misunderstood my point. The first movie ("Mohicans") had a big impact on reenacting, but the second movie ("Patriot"), while it was expected it would have an impact, did not.

I was wondering if it will be the same with the new Indy movie (no impact).

donCarlos

Practically Family
Big Man said:
I believe you misunderstood my point. The first movie ("Mohicans") had a big impact on reenacting, but the second movie ("Patriot"), while it was expected it would have an impact, did not.

I was wondering if it will be the same with the new Indy movie (no impact).
I think I got it now... I misunderstood the word "reenacting".

Anyway, Indiana Jones has quite a good style and I can´t see any reason for feeling uncomfortable with that style, except the stupid comments from people who just "don´t know".

univibe88

One Too Many
I got my first "Indy" comment this week - while wearing a navy suit, white shirt, blue tie and a medium grey fedora with a modest 2.5" brim. :rolleyes:

Now add this tidbit: Told by my eyeglasses man that replacing my favorite deadstock 30's reading glasses, the price would increase soon because a similar pair is prominent in the new IJ release. Double drat - we'll see by how much, and what dumb comments they elicit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24