Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone else hate 1960's Westerns & WWII movies with modern music soundtracks?

green papaya

One Too Many
Kelly's heroes was just a promotional picture for the up & coming star Eastwood, it was basically "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" in army gear.....a fun movie which didn't pretend to take it's self seriously........Shot in yugoslavia too, a country which no longer exists.

the ODDBALL character reminded me of a flower child / hippy from the 1960's, he talked just like a hippy, when he said the other guy had negatives waves, he looked like he was high.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Actually, if there's one thing I cannot stand in any movie it is an anachronistic soundtrack. It automatically takes me out of the experience.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Actually, if there's one thing I cannot stand in any movie it is an anachronistic soundtrack. It automatically takes me out of the experience.

All soundtracks composed for a movie are anachronistic. Only if you use the original existing music from the time period the movie was set in can it claim to be chronistic, which not only limits the types of movies one can make but there are also copyright issues to overcome.
I think we have come to expect a certain type of music when we watch a certain type of film & that is prehaps what foxes a lot of folk when the score isn't what they expect it to be.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
All soundtracks composed for a movie are anachronistic. Only if you use the original existing music from the time period the movie was set in can it claim to be chronistic, which not only limits the types of movies one can make but there are also copyright issues to overcome.
I think we have come to expect a certain type of music when we watch a certain type of film & that is prehaps what foxes a lot of folk when the score isn't what they expect it to be.
True. The worst example, however, was that Moulin Rouge movie. I watched it for Nicole Kidman, and was turned off by the very modern (1970s-1980s) songs in it. It gave me the feeling that the writers/producers couldn't be bothered to write actual new songs that even attempted to fit the time period, but went with ones the audience would recognize.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The recent music's in Moulin Rouge so the current audience can appreciate how shocking/revolutionary/sexy the Moulin Rouge experience was to Parisians in its day. Face it, the can-can seems awfully quaint now.

The same director used the same technique in the recent Great Gatsby, 'cause twenties jazz just sounds like cartoon music to the vast majority of today's audience, not the shocking, old-order-destroying sound it was back then.

I'm not a big fan of this approach, but I kind of respect its intent.

True. The worst example, however, was that Moulin Rouge movie. I watched it for Nicole Kidman, and was turned off by the very modern (1970s-1980s) songs in it. It gave me the feeling that the writers/producers couldn't be bothered to write actual new songs that even attempted to fit the time period, but went with ones the audience would recognize.

I felt the same way about the recent "The Great Gatsby" movie (also a Baz Lahmann smushmortion). As Lean'n'mean said, almost no soundtracks are truly authentic, but one can try to capture the spirit and vibe (even if it is just our cultural perception) versus a jarring juxtaposition of clearly modern music / songs in a period movie.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Even worse, is when some old timer, decides to slip old music into kids shows. I was watching at my neighbors house with his Granddaughters, Phineas and Ferb, when the villains are getting ready to fight the secret agents, they started snapping their fingers and dancing like West Side Story, like any kids are going to get that reference! I was laughing of course. Only a few old songs have bridged the gap, Stand By Me, maybe Louis Armstrong, What A Wonderful World, and most certainly, Etta James, At Last! But, as a whole, when you use The Beetles or Frank Sinatra, it's not going to work. [video=youtube;X0x1n5jkIpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0x1n5jkIpk[/video]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Just as a reminder, this is why Etta James, managed to transcend time! [video=youtube;S-cbOl96RFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-cbOl96RFM[/video]

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I watched it for Nicole Kidman,

Then you deserved everything you got :rolleyes:

It gave me the feeling that the writers/producers couldn't be bothered to write actual new songs that even attempted to fit the time period, .

On the contrary, the film was written around the music & the songs rearranged & many sung by the actors which is a much harder process than for a composer to write a score for the finished film. I liked Moulin Rouge & the music. There are already a lot of movies set in the Moulin Rouge's hayday with what many people would percieve as a traditional soundtrack. Baz's version was a vibrant, moving & original take on the genre.
I like Tarantino's approach too, slipping in spaghetti western themes or 60's pop songs in a modern movie (Kill Bill) or rap in a western (Django) really works for me. Ennio Morricone has come out of retirement to write the score for Tarantino's latest western ' The Hateful 8' which I'm looking forward to both watching & listenting to.:cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner