Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Else Tried the Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler Boot?

South

One of the Regulars
I just tried on a pair and they seem narrow. I wear an 11 D and tried on a 10.5 D, with thick socks. They were too long, but tight around the sides.

I think I would need a 10 D, but think they may be too narrow, even with regular socks.

Anyone else find them a bit narrow?

Thanks.

South

One of the Regulars
Okay - I ran into an older thread that I had forgotten about. It seems the Gentleman's Traveler/Beckman/9011 boots do run narrow.

What about the Iron Rangers? Do they run as narrow as the GTs? Is the sizing the same (run large)?

Thanks.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Iron Rangers. I too sized down 0.5 size, based on what I read about Red Wing sizing. I normally wear a 8.5D so I went with a 8.0D.

I wear my boots with thick socks and I think the 8.0D fits well. I didn't think they are overly narrow but then again I might have narrower feet. In hiking boots I prefer Danners which are seen as narrower than most; my Danner Explorers fit true to size.

I believe the IR and the GT are built on the same last but I could be wrong. Eventually I want to pick up a pair of GTs in black but that will have to wait for a while.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Red Wings

I have both the IR and the GT in 10.5D. The GT's seem to be just a bit larger and I notice that mostly in length. The fit is not quite as good as the IR, but still not terrible. If I had it to do again, I would likely size down in the GT to 10D. Width has not been an issue with either boot for me. 10.5 is my normal shoe size, but varies with brand to a degree.

mh

Doug C

Practically Family
I hear folks saying that the GTs run narrow and I guess it could be true but here's my take on it... I have a pair that I wear nearly all day every day. When I first got them and tried them on I was like 'whoa these are narrow' but I quickly became aware that it's really (IMHO) the actual putting your foot into the boot that is soo snug. But not so much once you have them on. I attribute this to the fact that the tongue is sewn to the eyelet part of the upper, on both sides and almost all the way up too. I actually insert my foot as far as it will go naturally then I compress the back part of the boot with my heel and then it slides in pretty easily. The other thing to note on these boots is that the Chromexel leather that RW uses on these boots are not a stiff type of leather at all, they break in super easy and are very flexable (after several hours or so). I am soo glad that I didn't go with my initial impression on these and send them back, I wouldn't want them to be any bigger than I have now. BTW, in other footwear I take a 10.5 and I sized down to 10 on the RW Gents. I can't remember the tongue configuation of the Iron Rangers but I suspect they are exactly the same. Also, I think the IRs have a different, more roomy toe box... alot like an Army Munson last. The GTs are definately not as wide at the toe.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I went a half size down with my GT's too. They seemed a little narrow at first. After about a week of break in these should be some of the most comfortable boots you will ever own... mine are.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I have both the GT and the IR, I prefer the Iron Ranger for fit and the GT for finish in black cherry. The IR also has speed lacers which I like more.

Gunk

New in Town
I just got a pair of these in the chestnut color (style #9013) size 9D. I think they are a bit roomy in the toe area for me, I've been wearing them around this week, contemplating if I wanna sell them and buy mself an 8.5 instead

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I had a pair of GT's for a couple of days. 9.5D. Way too narrow

for my shoebox-shaped foot, sadly. They are handsome boots. Not to hijack the thread, but, I bought a pair of Wolverine 1000-Mile boots, 10D, over Christmas and they are very comfortable. Well-made boot, IMO.

bigbjorn

New in Town
The GTs are narrow. But soak a pair of thick wool socks, pull 'em on, and wear the boots for 8 hours, and they'll fit ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore