Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever heard of " WH SHAFFER CO " ?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just scored this Shaffer wool vest cheap on Ebay thinking it was Schaefer outfitters, but I just realized they are not the same company.
s-l400 (30).jpg

s-l400 (29).jpg

I'm not really concerned about the quality or anything for the price I payed, but I can't find any info on the company.
I'm not sure if the company is still active, and I don't know how old this vest might be, where the company was located, and if they were a manufacturer and not just some house grand or something.

EDIT : I just realized I was reading the lebel wrong and the company is actually " WH SHAFFER CO. "

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
Here is something I found on one of those company profile type websites.
About
" Wool Vests, Artificial Insemination, Auctions
Our company makes a hand crafted 100% wool vest. We also artificially breed beef cattle, and offer a valuable auction service. "

Very odd , they breed cattle, run a cattle auction, and produce a wool vest.
I guess they're relatively diversw for what I assume is a compay that's not particularly large.

From what I can see in the pictures this looks like a relatively nice quality vest.

The company has been around since 2010 apparently.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
I've never had a vest with a gusseted back before, and I'll be interested in trying this one out.
s-l400 (31).jpg

I have to assume the company has little experience with making outerwear, so there's no telling how this will fit.

I could have probably asked the seller for measurements, but I have a habit of gambling on Ebay purchases if the price is low enough and it has payed off in the past.

Not usually when it comes to outerwear , but plenty with tools and knives.
Out of 13 Ebay purchases for outerwear 5 were duds, and one of those duds was a vest.
8 out of 13 isn't bad and I'm hoping this vest will make 9 out of 14.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I'm quite impressed with the heft and quality of this vest.
It's 2 full layers of a fairly thick very tight weave wool.
20221013_160607.jpg

The fit is a little big, probably around a 38, but I don't think it's too big for me to wear.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the pinched back, I don't know if this is a common thing.
20221013_160732.jpg

I know half belts and adjustment straps are common, but I don't exactly have a lot of experience with vests so I just don't know what to think.

I do not even know if the vest was made this way or the previous owner had it modified since I could find no other examples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner