Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone familiar with Good Wear Leather jackets?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most Luftwaffe leather jackets, apart from those issued late in the war to ME
262 pilots were private purchases bought in the occupied countries as well as Germany itself. They were made as bike jackets and were not specifically designed for the Luftwaffe, let alone Nazis. Many of the various designs have inspired other makers, especially in the USA and still do-look at many of Aero's bike jackets.

Captured Allied Irvins, B-3s and A2s were all worn by members of the Luftwaffe. I have absolutely no Nazi sympathies yet have no problem wearing
such leather jackets. However wearing a jacket with Luftwaffe insignia does not appeal to me.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Sir Jacket said:
Maybe so. The statement was made for rhetorical effect. But I think you'll agree that it's morally questionable to wear a jacket so intimately associated even with a Nazi fellow traveller. I do think it's an issue. Maybe not for you, gentlemen, but I wouldn't wear a jacket for that reason. There are plenty of non-Nazi jackets, after all.

Sir J

I see what you mean, but I don't agree.

This often comes up. I hereby invoke Godwin's Law.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Hilarious, Creeping Past. I've often thought the same myself and am very amused that someone's actually formulated a law. The present discussion is somewhat different, however, in that it began with explicit mention of Nazis (all right, and Luftwaffe pilots).

And you also make an interesting point, I think, Andrew: I wasn't aware of it. It seems the Luftwaffe and other jackets of the period borrow from the French so-called cyclist's jacket. In any case, as I say, they're desirable jackets, in that Eastman incarnation. My personal preference is not towards those jackets, such as the A2 and the one we're discussing, drawn in at the waist and wrists.

Sir J

tonypaj

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
I see what you mean, but I don't agree.

This often comes up. I hereby invoke Godwin's Law.

I'd invoke the uncyclopedia version of it, but I prefer not to be banned... I personally do not worry about short jackets, but have my doubts about long coats. I have one, brown, full length, and cannot go anywhere without gruppenfuhrer comments. It is looking for a home...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR