Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone get their new Vanson delivered recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyboots

Practically Family
Johann: Did you keep the jacket made in El Salvador; since you had specified "made in the US" ? Was it the quality you wanted? Somebody please send me a link to their email that they will answer. I did not get a response when going through the general web page. Am I the only one? (No I 'm not too paranoid, why did you say that!!)---John

53Effie

A-List Customer
Kyboots. The best method I have found is to email to someone's attn. I've generally emailed attn Nicole with pretty good results.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
I just placed an order last Friday (12/17); I drove the 40 miles to Vanson's to be measured for a Model "J" in a distressed brown color. The lady that measured me and the man who wrote up my order said that my coat would be made in the USA. In fact the woman who measured me laughed and said "yeah.....right over there" as she pointed to her (and a couple others) workbench.

I was told in a confirming call yesterday, that it would take two to three months to make - due to a couple of custom touches that I'm having done.

Cliff

Johann

New in Town
No, I gave the El Salvador jacket away, the attitude from Vanson was that it was my problem, not theirs, they did nothing to resolve the situation. I ordered a replacement which I do not expect for 6 months. I had no problems with the quality, I did expect the leather to be heavier, but it's not bad, just not great. I have finished with Vanson. No you are not the only one they do not respond to, probably your emails are being recieved by Nicole. Try Larry, his email is on the "contact us" portion of the web page.

Last edited:

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I have no compaints about the quality of the jacket made in El Salvador, in fact I liked the leather of the E.S. ENF jacket more than the leather of the USA made jackets that I got from Vanson . Stitching etc were all good.
I couldn't bring myself to keep it because I wanted a jacket made in the US which is a rare thing these days and I think one day there may not be any good jackets made in the US. However more to the point is that I paid for a jacket made in the US, and it would be in the back of my mind every time I put it on, an annoying reminder that I paid over $600 for a jacket made in cental america. I had the worst customer service expriance of my life while trying to place my orders with Nicole and so find myself not in the mood to put up with any more problems with Vanson. I just want what I paid for.

Funny part is that even if it was made in the USA, chances are that the person(s) making it would have been from El Salvador anyway these days.

Lama

New in Town
USED TO love Vanson products. Just went through a situation with them, I now have to say THEY SUCK, and THEY SUCK!....did I mention THEY SUCK? Screw Vanson, I'm done.

Peacoat

Bartender
USED TO love Vanson products. Just went through a situation with them, I now have to say THEY SUCK, and THEY SUCK!....did I mention THEY SUCK? Screw Vanson, I'm done.

I think it would be fair to say the "situation" with Vanson was not resolved to your satisfaction? What happened?

Bonneville

One of the Regulars

That is a shame. On the other hand I'm extremely pleased with my new custom Enfield (decent pics soon). The leather and hardware is substantial, jacket fits me like it was tailor made for me and my experience with Vanson was top notch, all emails were responded to in a timely manner, cheerful customer service (Kim) and $100.oo off during their recent sale. I'm sold.

P.S. Oh yes, they didn't charge me anything for shipping despite the fact I'm in Canada!
If they offered other designs that interested me I wouldn't hesitate in buying another jacket from them.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
That is a shame. On the other hand I'm extremely pleased with my new custom Enfield (decent pics soon). The leather and hardware is substantial, jacket fits me like it was tailor made for me and my experience with Vanson was top notch, all emails were responded to in a timely manner, cheerful customer service (Kim) and $100.oo off during their recent sale. I'm sold.

I agree and had the same experience. I wish he would let us all know what type of terrible experience he had with the company. If he is going to put that statement out there, he needs to tell us what happened.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Yes, I would like to know the nature of the problems as well. As I have mentioned previously, my order for the new jacket I received back in September was not without issues and the jacket is a bit of a disappointment. They are making some repairs; so that will help. I don't know yet whether I will be charged for the fixits, but at least the lady in the repair department has been very nice to deal with. Time will tell.

Johann

New in Town
Four months and counting for my custom "Made in USA" Enfield. Still nervous about it, since all custom orders are what they are, no returns, no refunds, no matter the mistakes Vanson makes. I wouldn't go so far as to say they "suck" but after my experiances with Nicole and my last custom Enfield that I had to eat the cost of, I wont buy another Vanson and I wont recomend them to anyone. I really hope others have better experiances than I have had with them, but I am done.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Two months now on my repairs. I am told that they have not had leather which is of sufficient quality to fix it with thus far. It has been indicated that it may be done this week. I have not heard back though; so I can't be sure. I'm just hoping this turns out satisfactorily in the end. It's just one of those things that kind of weighs on me. I am hoping for the best, however.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I ordered an Enfield on Saturday, got it on Thursday. Based on Hoosier's rave reviews I had to give one a try. Havn't ridden with it yet but its a real beauty. I have a Manx and a Comet in 44 which were always just slightly tight but I only wore a t-shirt under those so it was fine. The Enfield is a 46 and I'm able to comfortably layer a sweatshirt underneath (not a hoodie ;) ). In a 44 there's no way I could have layered. This is more of a riding/casual jacket and is way more comfortable than my Aero halfbelt due to the armholes. As far as quality goes my Manx is fifteen years old and this new Enfield seems to be made on the same level. Says made in USA and has the leather lined pockets. Zipper is very heavy duty which is a big plus because i think LW and Aero zippers are just not heavy enough for leather of that weight.

I ordered an Enfield on Saturday, got it on Thursday. Based on Hoosier's rave reviews I had to give one a try. Havn't ridden with it yet but its a real beauty. I have a Manx and a Comet in 44 which were always just slightly tight but I only wore a t-shirt under those so it was fine. The Enfield is a 46 and I'm able to comfortably layer a sweatshirt underneath (not a hoodie ;) ). In a 44 there's no way I could have layered. This is more of a riding/casual jacket and is way more comfortable than my Aero halfbelt due to the armholes. As far as quality goes my Manx is fifteen years old and this new Enfield seems to be made on the same level. Says made in USA and has the leather lined pockets. Zipper is very heavy duty which is a big plus because i think LW and Aero zippers are just not heavy enough for leather of that weight.

Boy am I glad to see another good review...! It seems to be kinda hit and miss concerning hide...and fit any more. I did get my Enfield off of eBay after searching for two years..and researching size and fit. Mine is an older jacket since it has the all brass zipper...but didn't look like it was ever worn. Normally wearing a size 40..I went up to a size 42 which did end up fitting perfectly. Still trim..but allowing for some layering (vest..sweatshirt,etc)...sleeves with perfect length for riding. The hide is almost as heavy as the Aero FQHH...but much more flexible and comfortable from the get go. It also seems to be constructed in such a way to allow for use as a street jacket...but also the riding position on a motorcycle. However...I am now very reluctant to recommend Vanson...or the Enfield with some of these horror stories popping up! I still think,though...if Vanson has the supplier of their hides in order...and buyers have figured out their correct size..it still should be an exceptional jacket. Those two concerns are imperative with any jacket...and maker..in my view. I've never dealt with Vanson directly...so have no idea about their customer service. I tend to grab my Enfield more than any other jacket since it is just so darn comfortable to wear...and fits great.
HD

HDRnR

A-List Customer
HD, the hide on the Enfield seems the same as my fifteen year old Manx. So no problems at all, seems like the same Vanson quality as usual. I spoke to Brian at Vanson and explained the fit on my Manx and Comet and he recommended going up to a 46. One of the things about going by chest size, and I think this is the problem with going off that in isolation, is that the chest measurement does not take the shoulder size into account. Everyone is different, if you have alot of meat on your shoulders that alone can make a 44 seem tight even if your chest measurement says that it should fit. One thing I care about just as much as the chest size is the width across the top of the back which is one reason why I think I need to size up alot because my chest measures 43.5 so theoretically a 44 should be fine but they are always tight.

Johann

New in Town
I agree about the zippers, when I got my first Aero and saw the zipper my jaw hit the floor, they seem to hold up, never had one fail, but a heavier zipper certainly feels better.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Couple of comments.
With respect to HD's post above:
The hide on my Enfield puts the hide on my Aero FQHH Highwayman to shame.
When I put it on and stepped on the bathroom scale, I was 20 lbs heavier! :eeek::D
It's so thick I wonder if it'll ever break in. This might not be fair as my Aero is on its second season of regular wear, and the Enfield definitely hasn't been worn that much. But I never remember the Aero being that thick and stiff.
Next point; 2 years ago I bought a CSRX from a Chicago Cycle Dealership to replace one I stupidly sold.
When I got it, I called Nicole at Vanson thinking they screwed up and and used their Mid weight Firenze leather on this one as it was no where as thick as my previous one. (fit and construction were first rate though) She looked up the serial # and verified that it was, indeed, the heavy Competition Weight leather.
So, there definitely is/was a problem with their leather supplier.
Lenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy