Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone get their new Vanson delivered recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Jeff, I'm glad it worked out for you, finally. The fit must be good too if you are pleased with it. If you get a chance, it would be great to see some pics. The Model A style is a good one.

hhkiwi

New in Town
After my fiasco with Vanson I decided to order a Fox Creek Leather Vented Racing Jacket which arrived today - WOW!

I couldn't be happier, the jacket is a perfect fit, the quality is superb, I love the features and details, and the customer service was great. You don't have to wait for weeks or months and they have a much larger variety of sizes - you can order most sizes in a "long" version. Also the leather feels softer than Vanson's and is slightly thicker from what I can tell.

Plus, of course, the jacket is locally made, not some import from a cheap labor country such as Pakistan or El Salvador...

So, if you're in the market for a leather motorcycle jacket, check out Fox Creek (and no, I do not have any affiliations with them).

Navin323i

Practically Family
After my fiasco with Vanson I decided to order a Fox Creek Leather Vented Racing Jacket which arrived today - WOW!

I couldn't be happier, the jacket is a perfect fit, the quality is superb, I love the features and details, and the customer service was great. You don't have to wait for weeks or months and they have a much larger variety of sizes - you can order most sizes in a "long" version. Also the leather feels softer than Vanson's and is slightly thicker from what I can tell.

Plus, of course, the jacket is locally made, not some import from a cheap labor country such as Pakistan or El Salvador...

So, if you're in the market for a leather motorcycle jacket, check out Fox Creek (and no, I do not have any affiliations with them).

Being born and raised my entire life here in the U.S. I'm all for American-made quality. HOWEVER... I know people in the clothing business back home in my parents native country of India and have had high quality custom clothing made for me by people who take pride and work hard to make clothing for their customers (certainly not "cheap labor").

Granted... the company in Pakistan that Vanson used clearly didn't make their clothing up to the same standards that Vanson employs here, based on your earlier post that I read, but to condemn an ENTIRE COUNTRY for the mistakes of one company is not right, and frankly a bit racist.

That's like someone overseas buying a Vanson jacket, discovering issue(s) with the jacket and then condemning all U.S. leather jackets as being horrible... absolutely ridiculous.

Again, I have nothing against American quality, but at the same time I have nothing against the quality of other countries as well. Sure you'll have poorly made stuff anywhere, but if you're lucky you'll have good quality stuff too.

I am a fan of Fox Creek's work and plan on buying from them soon.

Last edited:

hhkiwi

New in Town
Sorry, but you misunderstood my concern.

I have no problem with products made in other countries (half my house is probably full of products made in China) and most certainly do not condemn Pakistan (or El Salvador). My issue with Vanson is that they fail to disclose where the jackets are made. Nowhere on their website do they mention a single word that the Stealth and Corsair jackets are made in Pakistan. They only recently (after I complained to them) added a bit in their Q&A section that they now manufacture in El Salvador – but still no word on their products made in Pakistan (they now simply state “imported”). Given that Vanson promotes itself as “America's leading producer of high quality motorcycle apparel” I find that misleading.

Compare that to Fox Creek – they clearly flag which products are made in the US. That’s all I am asking for.

So no offence intended. I know that quality leather products come out of Pakistan – virtually all leather soccer balls sold globally are made in Pakistan. But let’s also be clear on one thing – the main reason Vanson manufactures in El Salvador and Pakistan are the low labor costs there compared to the US.

hhkiwi

New in Town
That’s why I want to know where a product is made so that I can decide if I want to purchase it or not.

Vanson does not allow me to do that by failing to clearly disclose where their products are made.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Sorry, but you misunderstood my concern.

I have no problem with products made in other countries (half my house is probably full of products made in China) and most certainly do not condemn Pakistan (or El Salvador). My issue with Vanson is that they fail to disclose where the jackets are made. Nowhere on their website do they mention a single word that the Stealth and Corsair jackets are made in Pakistan. They only recently (after I complained to them) added a bit in their Q&A section that they now manufacture in El Salvador – but still no word on their products made in Pakistan (they now simply state “imported”). Given that Vanson promotes itself as “America's leading producer of high quality motorcycle apparel” I find that misleading.

Compare that to Fox Creek – they clearly flag which products are made in the US. That’s all I am asking for.

So no offence intended. I know that quality leather products come out of Pakistan – virtually all leather soccer balls sold globally are made in Pakistan. But let’s also be clear on one thing – the main reason Vanson manufactures in El Salvador and Pakistan are the low labor costs there compared to the US.

Sorry if I misunderstood you... my comments were strictly based on what you wrote in your postings. No offense intended on my part either. :)

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Being born and raised my entire life here in the U.S. I'm all for American-made quality. HOWEVER... I know people in the clothing business back home in my parents native country of India and have had high quality custom clothing made for me by people who take pride and work hard to make clothing for their customers (certainly not "cheap labor").

RE Pakistan.

I find that rare. Most of the stuff I tried buying and have seen from there is crapperiffic. And yes I think its a fair generalization across the entire country. You see its still a 3rd world country and does not have the standards, products or infrastructure that a more modern producing nation may offer. Thats just a fact at this current time.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Received my Vanson model A today.
Placed order in September 2010, during the "Vanbucks" promotional.
Standard design/size...dark brown leather rather than black.
I'm happy with it.
Well constructed. Leather feels to be of very good quality.
For those that asked, the label says it was made in the USA....which I find interesting. When I contacted Vanson in June asking about my order, they noted they failed to contact me re; the original color leather I specified was not available. I ordered a different shade of brown, and they said they would begin production. A month later I contacted them and they noted the jacket was "1/3rd done".
I assumed that meant it was part of a group of orders being made in their El Salvador plant...and that it would ship out when the entire batch was finished.
At that rate I expected it to be done sometime early September.
It looks like that was not the case. No idea what the "1/3rd done" after one month comment was about..

Hi Jeff,

I am glad for you that your jacket finally arrived and that you are pleased with it. In fact, when I just saw that it had finally been delivered, I wanted to express a, "Whooooooooo-hoooooooooo!", but I will restrain myself.

I wonder if they ever would have contacted you about the non-standard brown (that they recommended) not being available?

So, if your jacket was "1/3 done" in July, it took several more months to complete the other two thirds...? Very strange. If I ever order a Vanson - which I would someday like to - I am only buying it OTR and making sure I have it in my hands. I'm not messing with their customer service.

Navin323i

Practically Family
RE Pakistan.

I find that rare. Most of the stuff I tried buying and have seen from there is crapperiffic. And yes I think its a fair generalization across the entire country. You see its still a 3rd world country and does not have the standards, products or infrastructure that a more modern producing nation may offer. Thats just a fact at this current time.

Before you comment, please take the time to read what I wrote... I was speaking in regards to India, not Pakistan. India is not a 3rd world country.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
RE Pakistan.

You're off base. Sure there's alot of crap that's produced. But there is also alot of high quality motorcycle apparel made over there too. It really depends on the specification of the company contracting with the factories making the products.

Navin323i

Practically Family
You're off base. Sure there's alot of crap that's produced. But there is also alot of high quality motorcycle apparel made over there too. It really depends on the specification of the company contracting with the factories making the products.

I agree with captaincaveman1. I've seen bad stuff made from there as well as good stuff too.

For all I know, there are people just as talented in those places as the US, but we're not paying union wages for a jacket (or whatever) that make it appear to be better. I've had my share of foreign sweat-shop junk, but I've also seen some pretty ratty, overpriced US-made items too. Just sayin'...we can't assume something made "here" is better any longer.

dortiz

One of the Regulars
A. I mentioned Pakistan ahead of your quote meaning it fits there more so but..
B. I have travelled most of India extensively and I would say majority parts of it are very 3rd world.

Last edited:
Guys - seriously - before this gets shut down, can we stop the bickering? I think it's getting too personal and I don't think the intent was to go there on anyone's part. We all had a lot in common, so let's stick to that piece and move on peaceably :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - you've left a bit of "clearing up" in here to see to. But not before my evening Scotch & cigar! This thread is "temporarily" closed until I get around to the house cleaning.
Be aware of some fine lines you're skating on, please, and enjoy talking up the pleasures of good jackets and workmanship rather than tarring indiscriminately.
Thanks Gentlemen.

iPhone Comms

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - having gone through this thread, it has essentially developed severe 'mission creep' and veered well off the original subject topic (Anyone get their new Vanson delivered recently?) into areas that either really don't sit well generally within TFL or have scant relevance to the thread (eg: The virtues of the Indian Sub-Continental Economy vs North American garment production, Bin Laden and the relevance of Pakistan in relation to the Afghan conflict! to name, but a few!).

Concerns over how Vanson as a company promotes, advertises and does business with its' customer base, should be taken up directly with Vanson.

The 'thread' that was created to hold 'all' discussion on those 'waiting' for a new jacket to come through (as per the original thread title) is:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...jacket-on-their-back)&highlight=jacket-track*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24