Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know what buyee charges for cost of shipping a leather jacket out to the us?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I’ve wondered the same (Canada here). I know when I’ve had jackets from RM and TFH shipped the import duty and tax was worth about 20% if memory serves.

cbez

One Too Many
the actual shipment cost is around 35-50$ for fedex (arrives in a couple days typically). Now they call it buyee air delivery.

If you are quoted significantly more, ask them to downsize the shipment as it may include the original sellers box etc etc making it too large. Recommend not doing the protective packaging as it will make a huge box.

US imports under $800 are tariff free. Over is 6%:

>4203.10.40 - Articles of apparel and clothing accessories, of leather or of composition leather: Other, coats and jackets.

If you know you are going to be over the $800, confirm with them they put the right harmonization code. I've had them label them as cotton jackets twice which is an extra 3.6%.

I am not sure how they calculate the exchange rate when determining the $800 threshold, if they look at the daily USD/yen or if there's some fixed value. Maybe someone wiser can tell us.

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
I don’t know about the US. But in Canada, you get charged whatever tax percentage that your province has on the package plus the service fee from the courier. My province has about 12%.

I don’t recommend using EMS even though Buyee recommends it because it’s too expensive and takes just as fast as the second option which is Buyee Air Delivery. This is the one that I’ve been using.

With this option, Buyee will pick the courier (DHL, FedEx and UPS) depending on the value of your goods. Under $250, they would use DHL which is my favourite. Over that, they would use FedEx. They haven’t used UPS for me yet. Mind you, this isn’t a fact. It’s just my experience using the service so far. So YMMV.

Hope this helps.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
¥12,000 for no folding big ass box
¥7,000 for folded smaller box
FedEx/UPS/DHL
I am quoting on the high side, and including all domestic Japan charges too. New jackets the vendor usually pays for all the fees but used jackets sometimes the domestic charges are higher.

Canadians pays additional 12% HST on all incoming shipments, so 20% ish including shipping sounds about right. There was a time when we were charged duty on top of GST and that was about 35%. Yikes~! Americans don't have to pay any taxes unless you live in a taxing county, then sales tax over 800 like Cbez said.

thealfer

New in Town
I'm in the USA and live in North
¥12,000 for no folding big ass box
¥7,000 for folded smaller box
FedEx/UPS/DHL
I am quoting on the high side, and including all domestic Japan charges too. New jackets the vendor usually pays for all the fees but used jackets sometimes the domestic charges are higher.

Canadians pays additional 12% HST on all incoming shipments, so 20% ish including shipping sounds about right. There was a time when we were charged duty on top of GST and that was about 35%. Yikes~! Americans don't have to pay any taxes unless you live in a taxing county, then sales tax over 800 like Cbez said.
carolina curently. I'm in raleigh

jeo

One Too Many
Fedex int priority is often cheapest for me and takes between 24-48 hours to my door. I'm not sure buyee let's you specify anymore.
Price difference is negligible. FedEx will often hold your item for up to weeks for lack of description and want the sender to provide the info. That won’t happen with DHL. I’ve switched to using From Japan, they let you pick your courier and fees are comparable. You can also search ALL the sites at once where as on Buyee you have to search YAJ, then Mercari, then Yahoo Shopping etc…Better customer service too.

cbez

One Too Many
Price difference is negligible. FedEx will often hold your item for up to weeks for lack of description and want the sender to provide the info. That won’t happen with DHL. I’ve switched to using From Japan, they let you pick your courier and fees are comparable. You can also search ALL the sites at once where as on Buyee you have to search YAJ, then Mercari, then Yahoo Shopping etc…Better customer service too.
Never had that happen with fedex. Are these 800+ that are subject to duties? I've only gone that high a couple times.

I was using fromjapan for a while, but buyee has had much better coupons lately for some reason (They just did a 20% off, no max on mercari for example).

I find the buyee customer service a little more convenient because of the chat feature, but overall similar.

jeo

One Too Many
Never had that happen with fedex. Are these 800+ that are subject to duties? I've only gone that high a couple times.

I was using fromjapan for a while, but buyee has had much better coupons lately for some reason (They just did a 20% off, no max on mercari for example).

I find the buyee customer service a little more convenient because of the chat feature, but overall similar.
Well you’ve been lucky. I know a bunch of people that happened too. You get the item at the end of the day it’s just very frustrating.

Nacho

Practically Family

Thanks for the intel, jeo. I’ve had bad experience with FedEx so far. They offer address change on their website, but then when you did it, they wouldn’t attempt to deliver at all. Instead, they held my package at the airport where I had to drive there to get it. Customer service wouldn’t help either. DHL is so much better though. No depot in the middle of nowhere. Fast and reliable. I’ll probably switch to From Japan after this. It’s just the ability to choose courier is money right there.

Reactions: jeo

cbez

One Too Many
Well latest annoying warning. If you use a coupon to go well below the de minimis they will still mark the package for pre-discount value. Feels like buying something half off and paying tax on the full price.

tuanhng614

Familiar Face
the actual shipment cost is around 35-50$ for fedex (arrives in a couple days typically). Now they call it buyee air delivery.

If you are quoted significantly more, ask them to downsize the shipment as it may include the original sellers box etc etc making it too large. Recommend not doing the protective packaging as it will make a huge box.

US imports under $800 are tariff free. Over is 6%:

>4203.10.40 - Articles of apparel and clothing accessories, of leather or of composition leather: Other, coats and jackets.

If you know you are going to be over the $800, confirm with them they put the right harmonization code. I've had them label them as cotton jackets twice which is an extra 3.6%.

I am not sure how they calculate the exchange rate when determining the $800 threshold, if they look at the daily USD/yen or if there's some fixed value. Maybe someone wiser can tell us.
Follow up question regarding import tax and fee. If I purchase two separated items, $500 each, and choose to do combined shipping. Would the package be tax at $1000 for combined value going into California?

Jiantle

Familiar Face
Not sure if I'm just adding to what's already been said, but I just received an aero jacket that I purchased on Buyee. Total cost for shipping + fees was $66 using Buyee Air Delivery which for me, was via FedEx. Buyee Air Deliver alone was ¥8400 (∼$58) or something like that, the rest were fees.

Shipping from Buyee's warehouse in Japan to my door in Seattle was under two days - extremely fast! I'll be doing a write-up on the jacket soon as I'm very pleased with it and the whole experience in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters