Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone own Mister Freedom Road Champ Enginners?

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
I am officially on the Road Champs waitlist but have a question... Do the Road Champs fit wide? I have narrow feet (“c” width) and am afraid that the RC’s will be too wide and therefore slip too much. I almost bought a pair of Lofgren engineer boots from Standard and Strange but was informed by the shop owner that the Lofgrens run wide and wouldn’t work for my narrow feet. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RIOT

Practically Family
I had to go a half size down 10D on my MF Road Champs 1st Gen. Actual size 10.5 on my Lofgren Engineers. They do fit wider after numerous wear.

Last edited:

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering if these are going to be too wide. At least I have a year to think about it... LOL!

Amble&Drawl

New in Town
My current line up consists of Red Wing 214s in a size 10.5D, Red Wing Iron Rangers in a very broken in 10D, Vintage (80s) Red Wing Pecos style pull ons in 11c. I typically like to wear thick boot socks and would describe my foot a narrow.

I won some Road Champs on eBay about 4 years ago. Size was 11 and I thought I could make them work. No dice. I tried 2 pair of socks and an insole, and my foot was still swimming in them. They were wide and long. If I come across some again in a 10, I may roll the dice. Even then they'd require some MacGuyvering. Gorgeous boots. I had to let them go. I'd size at least a whole size down if your foot is narrow, then add a thick insole, socks, etc.

Congrats on the boots! It broke my heart to have them and have to let them go.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
My current line up consists of Red Wing 214s in a size 10.5D, Red Wing Iron Rangers in a very broken in 10D, Vintage (80s) Red Wing Pecos style pull ons in 11c. I typically like to wear thick boot socks and would describe my foot a narrow.

I won some Road Champs on eBay about 4 years ago. Size was 11 and I thought I could make them work. No dice. I tried 2 pair of socks and an insole, and my foot was still swimming in them. They were wide and long. If I come across some again in a 10, I may roll the dice. Even then they'd require some MacGuyvering. Gorgeous boots. I had to let them go. I'd size at least a whole size down if your foot is narrow, then add a thick insole, socks, etc.

Congrats on the boots! It broke my heart to have them and have to let them go.

Thanks for the reply. I wear 10.5D in Red Wing Iron Rangers. I wish they came in "c" width but having the ability to lace them up helps so they're not too big. The guys at Mr. Freedom said that the same size in their Road Champs should work, so that's what I'm on the waitlist for. Since then I have been hearing that the RC's run more like an "e" width which has me concerned. From your take that sounds about right. Might have to go with a pair of Wesco boss boots instead. I hear that the 7400's run narrow.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
For the price and wait time of road champs why not go role club? I would assume Brian could address the narrow issue.

Amble&Drawl

New in Town
Thanks for the reply. I wear 10.5D in Red Wing Iron Rangers. I wish they came in "c" width but having the ability to lace them up helps so they're not too big. The guys at Mr. Freedom said that the same size in their Road Champs should work, so that's what I'm on the waitlist for. Since then I have been hearing that the RC's run more like an "e" width which has me concerned. From your take that sounds about right. Might have to go with a pair of Wesco boss boots instead. I hear that the 7400's run narrow.

I'll be completely honest here. I'm not sure if the Road Champs are made by a different outfit now, like I said, it's been a few years. However, if they are the same as the previous Road Champs, and if you are already wishing your Iron Rangers were offered in a more narrow size... I'd jump ship. My pair were considerably wider than comparably sized Red Wings. E/EE territory. Not to mention this is a pull-on style boot. No use having some awesome boots, and they are 100%, that don't get enjoyed because they don't fit.

For the price and wait time of road champs why not go role club? I would assume Brian could address the narrow issue.

This. I'd start contacting brands that can work with your width concerns.

gtrplyr

A-List Customer

Brian makes great boots but they're about $1350. That’s almost $400 more. The Road Champs’ price is tough enough to swallow, I don’t know if I can spring for the Clubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ