Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone recommend Loakes burfords or bedales?

zebedee

One Too Many
Thinking of buying some (or Barker equivalent)- are they any good? I'm not sure I can part with the dough for Trickers...

Will they last a few years if treated fairly?

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Thinking of buying some (or Barker equivalent)- are they any good? I'm not sure I can part with the dough for Trickers...

Will they last a few years if treated fairly?

Yes, I've had my pair of Burfords since 2005. Wore them constantly for three years, first two as my only good pair. After three years of this use they were looking pretty worn in, but I guess in rotation they'd have stayed smart longer. And I've not yet worn them out. They've exceeded my expectations.

Not sure if they're still made to the same standard as 2005. I hope so.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Loake are situated at the entry level of 'quality' men's footwear. Keeping them in good repair (polishing, moisturizing, brushing,etc..), applying sole protectors (like Topy) and resting them between wearings (2 days minimum) will greatly extend their useful life, which goes a long way to justifying their cost. Loake also offer a recrafting service which IMO signifies a quality maker.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a pair of Loakes myself but one of my best mates has two pairs and loves them. He's had his older pair (Chelsea boots) for at least 15 years, and they're beautiful looking things, black leather with scarlet linings.

He only has good things to say about them and because of him I'll be picking up a pair of their boots or shoes when I'm next after some.

Sorry it's not exactly firsthand experience but my friend's experience of them is all good.

Alistar79

Familiar Face
I love my burfords and had mine since 2008. The pattern on them gives them a western feel and alot of americans i've been in contact with often remark about this. I've always used a mid tan polish on them but over the years they have become darker and they now remind me of the colour of a peroxide blonde with too much foundation on!!

I have owned about 4 pairs of loakes and my burfords always get the most wear.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Great shoes and much more "wearable" than Trickers ... which can be a bit "clunky" ( read big, cumbersome and a tad heavy especially on the double sole format) .... Loake 771 Derby shoes are amongst the finest and longest lasting shoes made I've got a pair which are 27 years old and still going strong despite regular wear after two heels caps and one resole ( and I include Lobb, Church, Cheaneys, C&J's and many others in this comparison). Just because they are "cheaper" doesn't make them "poorer" by any manner or means IMHO.

I have one pair of Burfords and they often get selected before my Trickers Stow's ... great footwear which look equally at home with jeans or a suit.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have had a pair of Loake's Chelsea's for around 8 years and done just about everything in these, worn them to work, ridden my BSA and trudged through fields walking the dog. A quick polish and a woman commented, "What a lovely pair of shiny boots". I replied, "My mum always said the first thing a girl would do would look at your shoes after an introduction".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy