Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone tried colored contacts?

Lillemor

One Too Many
ginny said:
If you have dark eyes, make sure you get the high-tech colored ones, they have a blend of 3 colors and a slightly darker outer ring, and look MUCH more natural than any of the other colored ones for dark eyes. Don't be fooled by those "speckled", one-color, types: they are not as good as the the three-color ones.
Now that I have eye insurance again, I may splurge for a pair of the colored ones. I tried a pair of the three-color type a couple years ago, and really liked how they looked.
I've worn gas perms ("hard") lenses since age 14 (over 20 years). I must have tough eyes: I can literally sleep in them, not take them out for weeks (well, once in a while for a quick rinse), and I have no problems whatsoever. The soft ones are much easier to get used to: that "something in my eye" feeling goes away in a couple, three days (for me anyway, it did), and is much less noticeable than with gas perms.

Thanks. I was wondering if I could wear colored lenses with my black/brown eyes. I wear corrective glasses and can't get lenses that entirely correct my vision so it would just be a cosmetic choice for me.

Shirin

A-List Customer
Snookie said:
I've worn several types of colored lenses over the years - for corrective purposes, but I wanted to have fun with it!

I found that the "tinted" ones are FAR more comfortable than the ones that completely change your eye color. The complete color change ones actually obscured my vision slightly, as they shifted slightly every time I blinked, and it took a second until I see out the hole again. Also, they were much more dry than tinted lenses(although that could have been the brand, and this was several years ago). But neither of these problems would stop me from wearing them occasionally.

Until recently, I wore green tinted contacts daily, and daily received stunned complements on them. Especially from grocery store clerks. They made my eyes extremely bright, I guess! I had to switch brands recently, though, to one that allows more oxygen to reach my eyes. :(

I also wear contacts for corrective vision, have been doing so since I was 13. I will not wear glasses, I repeat, I will not wear glasses until I'm unable to put lenses in my eye. I just can't stand something sitting on my face, even sunglasses bother me a bit. Over the years I also have experimented with the different colors mostly green and blue tinted lenses from Acuvue and they've always fit perfectly. However after so many years of "is that your natural eye color?" and having to tell them No every time, it just got tiring. You think people could tell the difference, or do they just want to see if you'd lie about it??! Now I wear clear lenses, so i don't have to answer that ridiculous question, though I admit I do miss the aqua and green colored lenses-they made eye color really stand out over my natural medium shade of blues. I also, could never wear those lenses with the color printed on them, the lense shifting around is indeed uncomfortable.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I wear gas permeable contact lenses, so I don't know whether I could pull off colored contacts. But my current contacts have a slight tint to them. I like the way they make my eyes just a little darker and more vibrant. Sometimes, though, I'd like to just have my natural eye color, with all its little variations in shade that don't come through with the tint.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I used to wear the green milti colored ones.. and they looked exotic on me.. no one thought they were fake and I went most of highschool with people thinking I had green eyes..hahahaha

I found a couple of pictures with my green eyes and I think I will be getting them again since my vision appt is due soon :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I was going to get colored contacts back in the day, but i have BIG pupils...and i mean BIG. I always look like my pupils are dialated and when i had my "trial" i found that because the hole where your pupil is supposed to go on colored contacts was never big enough and it was always blurry and in turn i had headaches and rubbed my eyes constantly. I tried the 24 hour contacts but i couldn't sleep with them in. It was ingrained in me when i was 14 and got contacts that you should NEVER sleep with contacts in because if they get dry and you try to pull them out when they're dry they can cause serious damage. I tried but couldn't handle it and went back to the tried and true box.

but i still like my glasses...they make me look smarter. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL