Anyone with Red Wing 2966?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by gtrplyr, Mar 3, 2020.

1. gtrplyr

gtrplyr One of the Regulars

Anyone with a pair of Red Wing Heritage 2966 that can address sizing compared to Iron Rangers or Beckmans?

2. VestCoast

VestCoast One of the Regulars

I've got the steel toed version (2968) and wear it in the same size as the IR and Beckmans.

3. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

I want to make the OP be aware that not all Red Wings will have a set fitting pattern as it can depend on what run of manufacturing your pair was made. I say this as my Husband at one time had over 40 pairs in boxes never worn, and when he would try some on, some were way too small marked a 10 1/2 M and some just fine, on the very same moc toe red leathered high tops with the white cushy type boot soles.

If you need to soak a pair in thin leather conditioner for a few days and then stretch them, Red Wings will stretch without too much muscle behind it.

4. gtrplyr

gtrplyr One of the Regulars

Thanks for the help.

5. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

Isn't that less to do with manufacturing run than the last they use in each model? I'm not familiar with Red Wings to this degree, but most boot manufacturers at this level and above use a different last for each model, thus a 10 in model A can be very different than a 10 in model B. It's why reviews by owners are so incredibly important with the upper level of shoes. And actual internal measurements when buying resale. It's no guarantee, but they shave off the potential ill sizing quite a bit.

6. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan I’ll Lock Up.

Yes and no...we purchased a few dozen red wing boots several months before doing the same thing again from a different source, all the same model and marked the same size....about 6 pairs were too "short" from end to end inside, measured a full 1/4 inch too small. It was not a big deal for me as we had owned a commerical rig for stretching shoes or boots that is powerful enough it could rip a pair of boots right in half if applied that much force...so the solution was conditioner for a few days then stretched them...no harm done and they fit just great.

7. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

8. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

oh may I curiosity ask what you do... or rather, why go out a buy a bunch of shoes and not wear them? :)

9. Northerner

Northerner New in Town

I wear my Brannock size (9.5) in the 2966. They run narrow. They are still snug in the instep after 2 years of wear. I still wear them all the time.

10. felix03

felix03 One of the Regulars

don’t know if you got your answer but I just saw this. Both my Iron Rangers are 8.5D worn with insoles and my 2966 are 9.0d worn without insoles

gtrplyr likes this.