Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appaloosa Movie Hats

vintage68

Practically Family
Does anyone know who made the hats in the movie Appaloosa? For my next hat project I was thinking about having a copy of Everett Hitch's hat made, but depending on lighting the color looks very different, from a greenish brown to a dark sand color.

Thanks!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Cliff

That hat on Last Best is undyed Natural, which is what I got from Roy. Love the color. My next hat will PROBABLY be a pecan or whiskey (whichever one is lighter) from the Major. I need a new Safari hat, my wool one shrunk.

Later

vintage68

Practically Family
Thanks Cliff, I'm aware of Last Best West and in fact have a hat from them, but I'm looking for the original maker that worked on the movie hats. When I have my hat made it will be through Jaxonbilt.

Been studying his hat also. It does appear to have that green undertone to it under most lighting conditions. Brim binding. I believe it is all the same hat.

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3896.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3880.JPG

IMG_3901.jpg

Last edited:
Did they make the originals or just a Repo version? I'm going to hav to check the movie credits. Maybe @Moviehats knows?

Yahoody

One Too Many
Does anyone know who made the hats in the movie Appaloosa? For my next hat project I was thinking about having a copy of Everett Hitch's hat made, but depending on lighting the color looks very different, from a greenish brown to a dark sand color.

Thanks!

I don't but did make one of each from 100% beaver for a buddy of mine who is a big Hitch fan.

I used natural colored beaver which seemed to work well. Color shade on natural seems to change by the ribbon used on the natural colored felt. Not the first time I have noticed that effect. Most would be shocked if I laid two of the same natural colored hat bodies side by side, one light ribbon and the other a dark ribbon hat. They simply don't look like the same hat bodies.

Last edited:

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
MH, whatever happened to Apacheland after the fire, if you know? As I recall only the church & maybe part of a barn or stable were saved. I'm sure they didn't bother to rebuild the set due to lack of demand for it, etc.
Found this:
"On February 14, 2004 at 7:00pm, the Apacheland Movie Ranch again burned, probably caused by an electrical malfunction in the second story of the saloon. Fourteen of the 21 buildings on the property were lost. The same 7 buildings which survived the first fire, survived again.

Since there were no plans to rebuild, the Birmingham's sold the property to a developer. The chapel and the "Rifleman" barn are being relocated to another location.
As of April 2006, Apacheland is in the process of being rebuilt, but at a different location, with different owners."

Found this:
"On February 14, 2004 at 7:00pm, the Apacheland Movie Ranch again burned, probably caused by an electrical malfunction in the second story of the saloon. Fourteen of the 21 buildings on the property were lost. The same 7 buildings which survived the first fire, survived again.

Since there were no plans to rebuild, the Birmingham's sold the property to a developer. The chapel and the "Rifleman" barn are being relocated to another location.
As of April 2006, Apacheland is in the process of being rebuilt, but at a different location, with different owners."
I think it's the 2004 fire that I remember reading about.

Thanks MH, always enjoyed your interests & posts.

I don't but did make one of each from 100% beaver for a buddy of mine who is a big Hitch fan.

I used natural colored beaver which seemed to work well. Color shade on natural seems to change by the ribbon used on the natural colored felt. Not the first time I have noticed that effect. Most would be shocked if I laid two of the same natural colored hat bodies side by side, one light ribbon and the other a dark ribbon hat. They simply don't look like the same hat bodies.

Every time I rewatch I think how much the Woomera is a good candidate for Cole’s hat.

C6772561-3BFC-4870-9FA4-5D96C8C972D1.jpeg

956DE866-A9F7-4FA2-ABD7-69362B685551.jpeg

FE02A136-733F-41CC-89B1-66EC6A8E3D3A.jpeg

3785BAD1-D679-4A30-894C-509D5BDBFA0C.jpeg

5A78F371-A2E1-4760-A521-5AE160E07CEF.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot